deck an autoloss to your opponents. For example having a Side Deck
consistingof a Sableye CG to tech vs Blissey or a Banette/ Another
Psychic Type vs GG. I think it could be helpful to have a Side Deck
instead of Main Decking those tech cards that will cause your deck to
lose Consistency.

Any thoughts and opinions on this?

I think this could really change the gameplay, matchups vs certain things
and the way we build our decks.

And how do you imagine this'd work what with the fact that unlike Yugioh, we are forced to play Single Game and as such unable to tech in cards in between games?

It would also confuse the majority of the 10 and under players. I played M:TG with a side deck, no fun. Part of the challenge of Pokémon is to build a deck that can stand against all types of other decks.

Yeah. I don't like the side deck idea at all. It takes the some of the skill out of the game and adds luck a little too.

I don't want side decks because I don't want to have to pay for another deck. That would get too crazy. I don't want to buy anymore Time-Space Distortion. I'm so cheap, I share cards between my decks rather than going out and getting 6 Castaway for example.

The fact is depending on how many cards you decide would be in the side deck you could compleltely change the way your deck works. It isnt a great idea, and there is not reason to add something to a game that already works so well without one.

JMO,
Drew

A couple of formats ago, I made the statement that I could completely change my deck with a 5 card sideboard. I was running LudiCargo at the time, and it would have been ALL too easy to switch out the Magcargo line for more draw and search Trainers based on the matchup, or an entire TecH evolution line.

No. I do NOT want a sideboard in Pokemon. Deck construction is difficult enough already. With even a 5 card sideboard, it would be next to impossible. This is supposed to be a game marketed to the younger age groups. How do you think they'd do with more complexity? They'd probably leave.

I don't want side decks because I don't want to have to pay for another deck. That would get too crazy. I don't want to buy anymore Time-Space Distortion. I'm so cheap, I share cards between my decks rather than going out and getting 6 Castaway for example.

Side deck doesn't mean having 2 decks, it means having some number of additional cards outside your deck that you'd sub in for other cards for games 2 and 3 of a match (though game 1 would always return to the original deck configuration). The general idea is that if your deck has a glaring weakness and needs to dilute its strategy badly to support tech cards vs. that bad matchup, you sideboard those cards and after game 1 of a match against that opponent, you switch the tech in to improve your odds of winning games 2 and 3.

It wouldn't make the game more like Yugioh, it'd make the game more like 90% of the other CCGs out there.

There's just one big problem, Pokemon takes longer to play than 90% of the other CCGs out there.

We don't even support match play in Swiss, so the sideboard would be a waste when it matters most. No point in even discussing it, it won't happen.

Pokémon does have a side deck, well kinda. But you can't switch x # of cards in and out. The Pokémon TCG side deck is compiled of Cards used for translations, cards used for reprints, and Rock, Paper, Scissors cards.

Pokémon does have a side deck, well kinda. But you can't switch x # of cards in and out. The Pokémon TCG side deck is compiled of Cards used for translations, cards used for reprints, and Rock, Paper, Scissors cards.

Rock, Paper, Scissors cards? Can't use your hands?

Those have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of a "side deck"...

Adding a sidedeck into Pokemon would force a few things to happen. We would have to increase the Swiss rounds to best of 3, which would also require an increase in time for each round (45 minuntes would be the minimum). A sidedeck would have to be limited to less than the 15 card sidedeck M:TG used to (it still might, I haven't played it in years) since you could drastically alter a pokemon deck with 15 cards to swap in and out. This would also be really rough on younger children in two ways; one, they would have to make a decision on what cards to swap out in a limited amount of time, and two, they would have to remember to take their sideboard cards out when they did use them.
While I do sometimes miss having the option to add a special "hate" card for a particular deck I'm facing (or wish I could take out all my Windstorms/Cessation Crystals since my opponents deck doesn't warrant them) I just don't think Pokemon is the right game to implement this strategy into.

Back