Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

pokemon yellow team

invisible

ok. i'm playing pokemon yellow again, since my friend only has that, and doesn't have g/s/c or r/s, so at least we can link battle... it's pretty nice going back to the old days. problem is, i'm having a hard time figuring out what's good in yellow, because of so many different things. less pokemon, special stat in one, no breeding, limited tms, etc...

so far, it's:

scyther lv 39
slash
swords dance
double team
quick attack

charizard lv 37
cut (don't ask about this, my sister put this when i was away, i didn't want it)
slash
ember
counter

lapras lv 30
surf
water gun
sing
body slam

gengar lv 38
hypnosis
dream eater
night shade
confuse ray

mr mime lv 41
confusion
barrier
light screen
double slap

could someone tell me when they learn better moves? i.e., charizard's flamethrower, mr mime psychic, scyther wing attack, etc...

thanks.

You can get rid of Charizard's Cut with Pokemon Stadium 2. Anyway, I'd get rid of Quick Attack on the Scyther -- in three levels, it will learn Agility, which I might consider instead. Or, wait until level 50 for Wing Attack. On the Charizard, try something like Fly, Earthquake, Flamethrower, Submission. It will learn Flamethrower in 9 levels, and the others are all TMs. On Lapras, try Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Body Slam. It will learn Ice Beam at level 38, and Thunderbolt is a TM. On the Gengar, don't bother with Night Shade. Instead, try Thunderbolt/Thunder, or Metronome if you like it. Mr. Mime will not learn Psychic by level -- you'll have to get the TM. Actually, Mr. Mime is just not an especially good Pokemon -- you might have better luck with an Alakazam. You have room for one more Pokemon. Maybe an Electric type, a Dragonite (good luck on that one), or a good Grass type like Vileplume.

There's a FAQ on gamefaqs.com that is all about a glitch that'll let you catch just about any species at L7. Does any of your team have a Special stat of 131? If so, then you might want to try Mewtwo (through the Ditto part of the Mew Glitch) rather than Mr. Mime. Just remember: Mewtwo doesn't learn a new move until L63 (Recover's not until L70). (I recently restarted my Yellow game to take advantage of the Mew glitch, and now have 2 Mew.)

well, i have a traded dragonite, so it'll grow faster. my scyther is also traded... are there any elemental tms i can get? i want them for gengar... i mean, buy them. and what's this mew glitch? how do i get mew? what's the ditto glitch?

wait, another question to add, does counter work against attacks that aren't normal or fighting? because i read somewhere that in yellow, it only counters these two attacks... and i meant a traded dratini... answers will be very welcome...

I think in Yellow, Counter worked on all attacks. I know that come G/S/C, Counter only worked on Physical attacks (Normal, Fighting, Ghost, Ground, Bug, Flying, Rock, Steel), and another move -- Mirror Coat -- only worked on the others.

In the classic days of R/B, Counter only worked on Fighting attacks. Not sure about Normal types. They might have added those in Yellow.

i know counter works on normal attacks, haven't tried for the others... can anyone tell me more about the mew glitch?

Your team is off to a pretty good start, but what about a sixth Pokemon? I recommend using the Pikachu, because it has pretty good stats for being basic pokemon and a fair array of attacks for back in the day. Heck work hard and even teach it surf using Pokemon Stadium 1 if you want. At the levels your pokemon is at start working on getting powerful moves like Surf, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Fly, so many more on to your Pokemon. This team looks like a potienally good pokecup team.

Back