Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PokeThoughts By Dave II: Professor Tournament Series

dld4a

Feature Writer
This article is not only for Professors to read. If this idea would ever come into being it would affect each and every one of us as players. Before I get into this I’d like to state that I am supremely happy with the way that the Professor Cup was held this year. I liked the format, including the last “minute” Wormadam Sandy Cloak ruling.

The idea I'm about to lay out started as just a way to encourage more participation in the Professor Program, and to further reward those already in the Professor Program. I don't mean to suggest that there is anything wrong with the current Professor rewards, in fact they're great. I'd just like to see the program grow and I was a little disappointed with the lack of a Worlds invite for the Professor Cup winner in 2007.

Then a while back, in a thread here on The Gym, basically about the top cut determination and structure of the larger tournaments, I read, "We'll never have 3 days, …" referring to Nationals and Worlds. My first thought was, “but they already are three day events.” The 2008 World Championship is scheduled for August 15th through 17th, which is last time I counted, three days. The Last Chance Qualifier (Grinder/LCQ) is being held on Friday. The US National Championship has the Professor Cup, on the Friday before the start of the main event.

That's when I had the thought to combine my idea for a Professor Tournament Series with the ability to qualify for Worlds. Also in the same thread here I read Meganium 45's (Vince's) thoughts on tournament structures. It's his ideas that sparked my idea.

Professor Tournament Series:

Maybe this is an idea for sometime way in the future. Maybe it’s an idea that will never be, but I think given enough time and expansion of the popularity of the game that it is an idea that could work and would be good.

As I stated, I was a little disappointed that the Professor Cup winner did not get an invite to Worlds in 2007, so I thought it would be cool if Professors could purchase invites (not trips) into Worlds using their Professor points. Of course they would have to be ridiculously over priced because space is limited at Worlds. I'm thinking in the 1000 to 2000 point range. If you’re not familiar with the Professor point system let me assure you that's a lot of points! I've owned at least 2 if not 3 leagues over most of the last three years and I've earned a total of about 1600 points combined over all the years. I'm sure that some or most of the active PTO’s earn quite a bit more than that, but most of them attend Worlds to perform as judges anyway. It might still be a good idea to disqualify PTO’s from purchasing invites.

So if it's so hard to earn 1000+ points in a year, how will the rank and file Professors ever earn enough points to purchase an invite? After all I see complaints all the time already from current Professors that they don’t have enough opportunities to earn points just to qualify for the Professor Cup. That's where the Professor Tournament Series will come into play. This will be a series of events that mirror the current tournament season, but in order to participate you must be a Professor and instead of being a part of the Premier Ratings system players will earn Professor Points for winning.

Weather it is better for players to earn points for each win through out a tournament, or points are awarded for final placements in the tournaments I'm not sure. The tournaments would have to follow all other tournament rules such as they must have a minimum of eight players... It would have to be up for discussion weather they should be held on the same day as the Premier Tournaments or held on separate days. I think it would be best to make it so that all Professor Points, earned through the Professor Tournament Series and through regular professor duties, would be allowed to be spent on invites, but points earned through the Professor Tournament Series would not be allowed to be spent on the regular Professor Rewards.

Maybe purchasing invites straight into Worlds isn’t the right way to go. Maybe Professors could be allowed to purchase invites to a special Professor only LCQ. I just like the idea of a series of tournaments that are open only to those who go through a special qualifying process. Maybe it would encourage those elite among us to contribute more than just supreme competition to the game. Not that many of them don’t, but there are many who think it is their right to demand more and more from this game with no more contribution to it than to buy an occasional booster. Maybe a Professor Tournament Series would actually become the coveted tournaments to be in. Professors would become the elite. I don’t think that a Professor Series should replace the regular tournaments because there needs to be that avenue for the average player who can’t afford the time of the extra commitment, but a next level of tournaments could enhance the playing experience.

Thank you for reading,
Dave II

Last edited:
I think the idea is interesting because it is something more for professors to look forward too, besides the goodies in the prof. store. My only issue with whole Professor Tournament Series is that if there are invites on the line, you will start to see more and more regular players decide to enroll in the professor program and enter in the tournaments for the invites. Some may run a tournament here or there, but its all about their pursuit for the invite that drives them. The people will not realize the true ideals of the program itself, which I consider very disappointing.

CMT

*nods* how many of the 'professors' who were profs when there WAS a trip on the line still are, now that there's no trip *and* the point requirement to play in the professor cup?

if this was a staff invite, i could possibly see this. but an invite to PLAY? it would just be seen as a shortcut into worlds, imho. look at the professors who already don't 'get it' about the prof cup being a *reward for those who run the events throughout the year* rather than something they're 'owed' as soon as they turn 18 and pass the test. there was a thread about that just before nats on the OP boards...=/

'mom

That image of Vince that I had created for a gag for one thread is currently being used by another professor as his avatar, so it might be confusing to those that now associate it with him.

If you feel the need for a picture of Vince, I'm sure we have some in the gallery.

I declare this article READY for the front page!

As a Professor, Judge, Organizer, etc, I agree with the premise of this. A lot of Profs give up far too much of their playing time to ensure that the mainline events are properly taken care of. While the Professor Cup is a VERY nice bonus for the Profs who are ensuring the survival of this game, I also want to have more opportunities to play without giving up my Judging and Organizing responsibilities. Weekly tournies, though very fun, just don't cut it for me. This year's Professor Cup was, quite possibly, the most fun I've ever had playing this game, and I'd just like to have more opportunities to enjoy playing like that.

Logistically, I just don't see where it could fit in during the tournament year. The only downtime that I can see during the year longer than a couple of weeks is the break between States and Regionals, and then again between Nationals and Worlds. I can see the insane amount of work that the PUI guys have to go through to put on both Regionals and Worlds, so I can appreciate that they need the downtime at some point during the year. Plus, how would you Judge the event without the Profs available to Judge them?

It's something that I'd like to see happen. However, with the state of the game currently, I don't know how it could work logistically.

Its nice if professors had another chance to get worlds, as many have judge nationals, and typically won't be able to get through the rankings. So giving something back would be nice, but I can't quite see it happening.

CHARIZARD MASTERTRAINER said:
My only issue with whole Professor Tournament Series is that if there are invites on the line, you will start to see more and more regular players decide to enroll in the professor program and enter in the tournaments for the invites.
There would be qualifications to get into the Professor Program Tournament Series. One must pass the test then obtain X number of points before you can enter your first tournament. Increased participation in the Program is the goal.
Some may run a tournament here or there, but its all about their pursuit for the invite that drives them.
Every little bit of help is still help. The motivations to do good are not so important to me as the act of doing good.

The people will not realize the true ideals of the program itself, which I consider very disappointing.
Yes, there would be some who try to get by with as little as possible, but I tend to (or at least try to) believe that there is more good in people than bad. I believe that the positives to be gained out weigh the potential negatives.

Even with a point requirement (low, I must say), there would be many players playing in the tournament just for the invite. Seriously, if you write 5 articles for the Pokemon website, you have enough points for the tournament. If you host league for 2 gyms, you have enough. If you help out at a few tournaments, you have enough. It's not hard at all to get into it.

Honestly, I'd rather they raise the point requirement, even if it meant less professors playing in it. I'd rather the tournament stay special than to have everyone and their grandma try to get into it just for the prizes.

Those who earn 1000+ points/year are probably the ones already going to Worlds as workers/judges. If not, then something is seriously wrong.

Buying your invite is not the way to go. Professors need to earn their invite in competition.

The Professor Cup, though fun and competitive, is not on the same level as Regionals and Nationals.

As one who earned a Worlds invite in 2005 from the Professor Cup, I will be the first to admit that rewarding the Cup Champ with an invitation, although pretty neat, is not the best thing. The decision to not award the Cup Champ with an invite is akin to the decision not to award a pre-release champ with a booster box. A good thing, IMO.

Last edited:
First. Noone is earning 1000 points a year.

Either I, or Terry K. (Washington ELITE TO) is the career leader, and we were #1 and #2 this year, with neither of us hitting the magic 1000.

He was 860 and I was 760 I think.

Huge numbers, but not enough to get us into the main event!

I am happy with the current system of PUI picking the staff for Nationals and Worlds (and I say that being put on NEITHER Nationals NOR Worlds this year).

PUI has a lot of people to rotate around, and there are some big names sitting the judging out this year. At first I was offended, but then settled back and said...you know, other people need a turn too. I imagine every "major" judge and organizer will get a "vacation" from events in the next few years.

I kind of look forward to being able to enjoy Worlds from the outside for the first time in 5 years!

So, in short...see you all there.

Jeez, that's a scary picture. Good thing I am holding an attactive box.

Vince

I am happy with the current system of PUI picking the staff for Nationals and Worlds (and I say that being put on NEITHER Nationals NOR Worlds this year).

PUI has a lot of people to rotate around, and there are some big names sitting the judging out this year. At first I was offended, but then settled back and said...you know, other people need a turn too. I imagine every "major" judge and organizer will get a "vacation" from events in the next few years.

I kind of look forward to being able to enjoy Worlds from the outside for the first time in 5 years!
Rotation is the key, IMO. Hopefully, the selection criteria is a balance between politics and dedication/effort. Spread the wealth, I say.

Yeah Vince, I too was a bit surprised when I heard you weren't selected to help out. I'm guessing you just expected to be asked to help and didn't actively volunteer your name. Maybe the selection criteria this year required a bit of politicking and "pestering," which is fine, to an extent.

Have fun this week! I'll be home watching the Olympics, and watching the Poke boards, in no particular order.

Maybe I am wrong, but in all my experience with PUI, politicking, pestering, begging and whining actually hurt your chances at anything.

They know who promotes the game week to week, month to month, and year to year with events.

They know who they feel they have to recognize, and I know there are a LOT more people out there than could EVER be put on one staff, so from time to time, some of us have to miss out.

They have a good group remaining. The event will go on.

Vince

A Professor series type thing would be kinda cool but a prize such as a place at worlds would only encourge people to become professors for the sake of that prize - however the oppertunity to gain premier points could be good as for myself most of my time at league is spent helping others play better so i dont get a huge amount of time to practice or playtest new ideas so i dont tend to do well at big events (i did badly at nats) but i enjoy them and i enjoy giving back to the game as i do currently and i hope to earn enough points next season to qualify for professor cup :smile:

Being an active professor has its own rewards.

Not the professor points and cool stuff they offer, or the once a year 'cup, but, not to sound cheesy,

the opportunity to be with your kids and their friends, and to play a part in their lives.

Just like coaching a team, or leading a group, there are responsibilities, but for a job well done, the rewards really outshine the responsibilities.

I am NOT saying all league leaders have to be parents, some of my best league leaders and judges were non-parents who just liked being there with the kids.

More to follow.

Vince

interestsing,im not sure about the invites with prof points and such but more professor based tournaments sounds like a great idea. maybe run them at regionals and worlds in additions to nats? just a thought?

-spaz

A lot of this varies from PTO to PTO as well.

Currently, the system in St. Louis (which has a lot of people miffed at me) has the prerelease judging spots being earned by individuals who actively (week in and week out) work to make the game better through league leading, mentoring, and doing the little things to keep our leagues going.

PUI has their rewards system set up. Professor Points, followed by Nationals/Worlds Staff opportunities, and other little bonuses from time to time.

I feel that additional rewards have to be set up by the Regional / Area PTOs and TOs to reward people.

The other thing we have done in the past few years are staff events for Regionals, kind of a team building thing. It worked well this year, and I look forward to next year even having a more cool and different format (which I already have planned) for my valued guinea pigs (I mean staff members).

Talk to you soon.

Vince

Selecting judges/staff is still a bit subjective. Just like John Edwards can severly damage his political career with one small act of stupidity, so can a professor do the same. I'm not saying I've been unfaithful, but some people forget about the years of service you've donated, when, in a moment of weakness, you do something stupid.

Plus, I'm not one who "marches in step" with the masses when I feel they're marching in the wrong direction. I speak my mind.

I'm not bitter when I'm passed over for other, less-experienced professors. Locally, I've been rewarded very well. It's about time other professors in my area experience those same rewards. I'm not greedy.

I don't know the process by which PUI picks the staff for Worlds, but from the outside, it appears to be a good mix of subjective and objective measurements.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

...the opportunity to be with your kids and their friends, and to play a part in their lives.

Working and donating my time was easier when my kid played. Now that he's not playing for a while (off doing service in a foreign land), it's a bit tougher to be motivated. However, the influx of new, young players here locally has boosted my desire a bit.

Back on topic.

Professor points should NOT be used to get rewards for things that are earned through competition, like invitations to compete at Worlds. However, I would NOT be against the idea of using massive points to earn a coveted spot on the Worlds staff, along with paid trip/hotel expenses.

Professor Lab Coat: 75 points

Professor Program T-shirt: 25 points

Professor Playmat: 30 points

Being at Worlds with family and friends: Price-less.

Last edited:
If something like this gets more people involved in helping the game grow and prosper, then what is the exact down side? Why does a persons motivations to do what is an ultimately good thing come under scrutiny? What is exactly the down side of bribing a person to contribute to the community?

I think that using a system like this to decide/appoint staff members would far less desirable to the current system because staff positions are supremely more limited than potential player spots.

PokeThoughts By Dave II: Professor Tournament Series said:
Maybe purchasing invites straight into Worlds isn’t the right way to go. Maybe Professors could be allowed to purchase invites to a special Professor only LCQ.
PokeThoughts By Dave II: Professor Tournament Series said:
Maybe a Professor Tournament Series would actually become the coveted tournaments to be in.

Back