POP 6, a numbering mistake

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by The_Lurb, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Lurb

The_Lurb New Member

So in the POP 6 set Riolu is number 8 and Pikachu is number 9. As you know the cards are numbered alphabetically for each rarity. Riolu and Pikachu are both uncommons but P comes before R which means Pikachu should be 8 and Rilou should be 9. It looks like someone needs to brush up on the alphabet.:thumb: Yeah just a funny mistake I noticed.

2. Fox McCloud

Fox McCloud New Member

Today at a prerelease I think I might have caught a mistake. Luxio's text-"Its claws loose electricity with enough amperage to cause fainting." I'm not sure if they meant lose or if I'm just dumb, but it doesn't make sense to me.

3. The_Lurb

The_Lurb New Member

Actually that text is correct "to cut loose" means to simply "let out" so basicly what it's saying is Luxio lets out energy from it's claws that causes enough amperage to cause fainting.

4. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

I've never heard that expression used in that way. I actually rarely ever hear that expression at all *lol*. I've heard it more commonly as "to turn loose" which is more or less "to release."

The_Lurb, nice find. I guess no one cared enough about POP6 to take notice :D

5. The_Lurb

The_Lurb New Member

Eh well I think I got the point across, but you're right.:biggrin:

LOL at the second part.:biggrin:

6. Fox McCloud

Fox McCloud New Member

Oh. I didn't know loose could be used as a verb. I hate that word. It lost me a spelling bee in third grade. I spelled it looce. I knew how to spell it, but s and c both have the sss sound and it just came out wrong.

7. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

To be fair, "loose" is not the verb. "turn/cut loose" is the verb, actually called an idiomatic expression.

8. Time for Pain

Time for Pain <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

bad timmy turning everything into grammer corrections. :nonono:

9. Fox McCloud

Fox McCloud New Member

Then shouldn't the text read "Its claws turn/cut loose electricity with enough amperage to cause fainting" instead of "Its claws loose electricity with enough amperage to cause fainting"?

10. dogma

dogma New Member

^^^

Yes, it should. It is a mistake; the idiomatic expression having no bearing on the actual sentence in question.

11. dogma

dogma New Member

Can someone explain how the flavour text makes sense? I can't see it!

12. ApachePrime

ApachePrime New Member

Dictionary.com says Loose can be used as a verb, as in this sentence:
    –verb (used with object)
    20. free from bonds or restraint.

There is no mistake in the sentence."Its claws loose electricity with enough amperage to cause fainting" Luxio's claws free enough amperage to cause fainting, meaning that it's claws have so much electric current in them that when they are used to attack another pokemon, the other pokemon faints.

13. Fox McCloud

Fox McCloud New Member

So, does this mean ShadowCard is wrong? He's my league leader and he's usually right about grammar and stuff.

14. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

ApachePrime, you've misquoted dictionary.com.

This turns up again in #35 as an idiom:
    "let" is a part of the verb. This usually applies to something which was once restricted, note the example Dictinoary.com gives. For example "who let loose the prisoner?" NOT "who loose the prisoner?"

Dogma, the flavor text does sound very clumsy. amperage is a measurement, so it's trying to say that the strength of the electricity released from its claws can cause fainting.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  15. yoyofsho16

yoyofsho16 New Member

Wait, this is supposed to be discussing POP6 misnumbering, not Luxray's Pokedex entry!

16. ApachePrime

ApachePrime New Member

But you do say "Loose the dogs of war." You can use loose as a verb, it's in the dictionary. Whether it adds let into the definition or not, it is still usable. This is not a grammatical mistake.

17. P_A

P_A Active Member

On topic people, ... it this will be locked, thanks.

18. doomsday24

doomsday24 Member

After going through all of mine, I found out that I had 4 of them. It never even occured to me until now. lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.