POP ID Repository

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Dayton_Pokémom, Feb 12, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Dayton_Pokémom

Dayton_Pokémom New Member

In an effort to help make things a little easier for all DGL and I are currently working on a comprehensive POP ID document that would contain as many names & ID's as we can gather. We would like to have it ready to go for Origins to help those running the Pokémon events.

What we need is: POP ID, First Name, Last Name, and State.

Email your information to Dayton_tcg_leagues@netzero.net

2. ScythKing

ScythKing Member

Hmmm - I'm really split on this one. I'd love to be able to get ranking lists.
    But... PUI is freaked about the whole privacy and minor rights issues (COPA). I guess if each player voluntarily gave you his POP ID it would be ok but you may want to get a release with them to CYA.
    So I would caution anyone on providing ID's besides their own...
    So do you plan on generating a pre register list to import into TMS? Sure would be nice I admit...

3. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

http://www.cdt.org/legislation/105th/privacy/coppa.html

from what I can gather from there COPPA is about the use of the data and the marketing aspects of it.

Since this is to be used purely for play admin and if it is just a list of names and pop id's I don't see that it need be an issue.

4. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

The whole point is to make something that's searchable (like an Excel Spreadsheet or even a simple text document). I'm pretty sure you don't want to wade through over 7000+ POP IDs trying to find someone (as there's better than 7000 out in the system now) in a Pre-Registered Players file.

The list is going to be privately administered and will not have any information that will "uniquely" identify players by a specific location lower than the state level. Plus, the information isn't gathered by an "online" means, such as a website, web crawler, data entry form on the internet, etc. We are also not using the data to contact anyone.

We're trying to provide a service to ALL TOs.

5. drackmere

drackmere New Member

Aside from pairing up a player with his/her forgotten POP ID number, what other use would this compiled list serve? By the time that individual would come up to the registration table, provide his/her name and POP ID, and you search the Excel spreadsheet for the (same) information, you could have already simply entered that information into the Tournament Management Software (TMS). What is gained with this compiled information?

Respectfully, I agree with ScythKing; the whole notion of compiling this information makes me uncomfortable. Although currently only the name, POP ID, and state are requested, things get even more unsettling to me when you need the age of the individual (a mandatory field in any event with age divisions).

6. Dayton_Pokémom

Dayton_Pokémom New Member

The ONLY purpose of this document is to have a searchable data base for those who FORGET their POP ID. If they remember it or bring it with them then there is NO need for them to have it looked up. History has shown that players forget their ID numbers or do not bring it with them.

We are NOT asking for age, players are perfectly capable of providing that information on site.

This was not intended as a debate. This is a request for the minimal information that has already been provided to Nintendo. There’s no ominous or evil purpose behind this endeavor.
    We’re taking the initiative to provide a service to the TO and Player Community. There’s no benefit that is being obtained, outside of matching up players and POP IDs, which currently does not exist. The state of residence is asked simply to delineate multiple “John Smith”; however if there are multiple “John Smith” in one state a new POP ID would have to be issued.