POP Parental Consent

Discussion in 'Archive' started by marril2k, Jan 17, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. marril2k

marril2k Member

Okay, this is starting to make my head hurt @[email protected]

For a small Gaming Convention up here in New Hampshire, the store is intrested in having the Pokemon event sanctioned. However, the store owner (as a parent first, and store owner second) feels not-too-well about the fact there doesn't seem to be a parental consent. Looking at a pad of DCI Cards in front of me, I see a Parental Consent card in the middle, good job DCI. However, I don't see anything available for parents and the registration process. From my experences judging an official POP Sanctioned event, there was no parental consent for anyone to fill out... has this yet changed? I know the floor rules allow POP and/or the TO to publish event/player information, but doesn't the under-aged player's parent need to consent to having that information released first?

I ask this because the store is very unsure about having a tournament if PUI doesn't have such a thing, especally some imprint documents about this. What is the exact information one needs to report to POP for that player number? First/Last names? More than or less than a DCI card? Any TO's out there with suggestions on how to handle this, that would be great, otherwise, I think POP has turned a store from smiling upon POP Sanctioned events (... beyond my control :/)

-marril

2. babayaga

babayaga New Member

Since marril called me about this issue, I've a headache now too!

If one follows the link in the Privacy box at the very bottom of the Pokemon-TCG website, one gets to http://www.nintendo.com/privacy.jsp
    which is the blanket privacy statement for Nintendo websites. There is a link on this page which lists all Nintendo websites that this privacy policy covers, and Pokemon-TCG is not one of them! I don't know if this simply needs to be updated/has been overlooked, but it is a problem to link to a privacy policy that does not expressly cover the refering site.

At any rate, assuming that this is a mere oversight, one could scroll down to near the bottom of the privacy policy to a header called "Parental Consent." This contains a link to a consent form that parents can use to allow information to be released to Nintendo (under the auspicies of "My Nintendo" membership). This only covers on-line functions. The consent is at http://www.nintendo.com/cpp/registration/permission_form.htm [bulletin board munges it, but the link's still good]

So, again assuming that there's been an oversight, conceivably this permission sheet could be used if TOs go on-line to sign players up.

This is a real sticky wicket. :confused:

:unknown-b

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

As always, make sure to e-mail PUI. They sometimes look here, but it's not guaranteed (or even likely).

4. babayaga

babayaga New Member

I'll forward what I found on to PUI, but my experience is that PUI is slow to respond by email and marril had a deadline. Hence looking for advice/experience here.

:unknown-b

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  5. Master Professor Birch

Master Professor Birch Active Member

TO & POP ID#s

Your "Tournament Organizer" should have access to POP ID#s. When he gives a player their POP ID#, the TO should give the player/parent of under aged players their POP ID# and Password. The TO will enter the player's name and State only, online in the "Pokemon-e TCG" website for the players that are assigned POP ID#s. The player/parent can go online and enter the player's information. At this time, only the players can access their information online (Rankings, Ratings, Much Less Personal Info). The TO can only enter the player's name in tournament results.

PUI has stated that they are working on a release form that will be added to each player's information online for parents to sign off on to release an under aged player's info. Hopes that this helps.

:pokeball: Master Professor Birch :pokeball:

6. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Remember that the DCI used to collect lots of personal details on those cards. This isn't the case with POPs player IDs.

Names aren't particularly valuable bits of data: If you want a few just go to a telephone directory. I'm not aware that POP even require you to use your given names rather than an alias!.

In order to establish an age based ranking system it will be neccessary to know if a player is in the younger age bracket. However this does not require knowledge of date of birth. Though age is probably slightly more sensitive than name you can still have a pop id and withold your age. The tournament sofware does require knowledge of age groups but that data is not reported to POP.

AS to emailing POP about this issue ROFLMAO ... I did ! got no reply though. What a surprise :( GRRRRR

7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

OOps forgot to say that STATE doesn't apply to the UK. some of my lot now live in Hawaii.

I do classify a full address as sensitive data along with email telephone and other information that can be used to construct a convincing false identity.

However I cannot see how a name and state for a pokemon player gives anything away.

In case you think I'm nieve to these issues. I'm more than fed up with my email address being handed out without my consent and asiduoulsy ensure that my name and address are schredded on all personal corespondance I recieve.

Ian age 15+ Crawley

8. marril2k

marril2k Member

Thank you for all the answers and input gang. :)

I talked to the store owner/convention comittee person about this... and the sad news is, he would rather see this even unsanctioned. Ah well... it doesn't stop me from from the next convention we will have up here in late April ;)

-marril