"Pre-Release" deck...

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by UncleBob, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Okay, I've never played this game (or any game like it) before in my life. ;)

I'm considering going to the TM/TA pre-release in St. Louis and I think I've got an idea about how the game goes... but I wanted to put together a deck and see what I've done right/wrong.

I used eight packs of Dragon - I know it's only six packs for a pre-release, but I wasn't planning on doing this and I just had a stack of Dragon cards with eight packs mixed together... ;)

Here's what I did. First, I sorted all of the cards based upon Trainer/Basic/Stage 1/Stage 2. Then, looking at my most powerful cards, worked backwards filling in what I had with what I thought would work the best with the energy types and evolution chains and such. Then, I shifted through the Trainers to see what looked useful and finally, I threw in energy cards to bump the deck to 40.

Here's what I ended up with:

Bagon #23
    Bagon #50
    Shelgon #20
    Shelgon #41
    Salamence #10
    Salamence #19
    Trapinch #78
    Trapinch #79
    Vibrava #46
    Flygon #4
    Horsea #33
    Seadra #40
    Kingdra ex #92
    Rayquaza ex #97

Trainers:
    High Pressure System (x2) #85
    Mr. Briney's Compassion #87
    Energy Recycle System #84

Energy:
    Water x13
    Fire x5
    Lightening x4

Any tips or such? Did I use the right formula to dertime which cards to use in my deck and such? Help! ;)

2. Psyduck

Psyduck New Member

1st of all... COME TO THE PRE_RELEASE IN DA StL!!! Sorry, I had to get that outta me. No seriously, you'll have a blast and meet a lotta cool people.

As far as your deck goes, it looks like you got the idea of it...although you do know that you can't use it at the draft, as you have to build you a new deck on the spot with the 6 packs we give you...right?

Your deck building skills are on track. The deck looks to be pretty good and your reasoning and logic behing your choices also seem correct...just a few small things. Try to avoid 1-1-1 lines like Kingdra Ex and 2-1-1 lines aren't the best but are better than nothing. Your 2-2-2 line is great and you always want to try to build your deck around your "most abundant or easily accessable attackers," like you did here. Your basics are scary. Always try to get atleast 10-12 basics (your pre-evolutions and good colorless / 1 or 2 energy basic attackers) if possible and never less than 17 energy but not usually more than 20. Play only the nececssary trainers as well.

You're off to a great start and we'd love to see you in St. Louis. New faces always make the game great. With the knowledge you already have and some of my tips, you'll do great in St. Louis...which is why you should come... :D

Duck
    :D

3. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Yeah, I know I can't use the deck I'm making at the pre-release... just seeing if I have an idea as to what I'm doing...

I figured the "1-1-1 Lines" aren't normally a good idea, but with the packs I had, I didn't get very many different "strong" cards and even less to build up to them from.

For a pre-release, should I focus on getting cards that I can evolve or focus on making sure I have an abundance of strong basics in the deck with one or two evolution lines in the deck?

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

What other basics were in your packs that you left out?
    you will find that, with the lack of search trainers and lack of strong evo lines, you will wind up with a lot of basics out on their own. Best to make sure they can stand on their own because, unless you have some way to pull their evo out of the deck, you are very unlikely to manage to evolve them to Stage 1 and forget about stage 2!

5. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

It looks OK for an 8-pack deck, but you are pretty high on Energy even for a Limited format deck.

6. Psyduck

Psyduck New Member

I usually try to focus on 1 or 2 evo lines and always getting strong basics. You really need a little of both worlds to make the deck good. High HP's of an Evo to trade blows but not lose prizes and quick, hard hitting basics that can, if need be, stand alone and do fine.

Looking 4ward to seeing u there...

Duck
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.