Pride...*update*

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Darkleaf Master, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Darkleaf Master

Darkleaf Master New Member

I didn't know where to put this, so this is the best place for it I guess ^_^. Today at our first session of pokemon league (Sunday 10 AM) We werent expecting too many people.. since on sunday people have lots of things to do. It came down to 3 people >_< Scyther King, Rep13, and me. We were playing and discussing current pokemon events (the other days prerelease etc) and I got up to set up the poster for the League. Three small kids walked into the store and asked for yugioh cards x_X; Soon after they walked into the gaming area and saw us playing. They approached us and started asking questions. One said that he had had many pokemon cards at one time and lost them, Then he picked up playing yugioh. (im not a yugioh supporter by the way...) I told him that in my experience (having played yugioh for about 2-3 weeks myself) Pokemon was the best in my list. Required more strategy, etc etc. Soon after they started getting more and more interested. I gave them my EX Ruby and Sapphire and EX Sandstorm binder so they could take a look at it. Upon seeing some of the cards, they started getting interested and decided they would get some packs. They asked which ones they should get and I told them to start with EX Ruby and Sapphire for now (friendly to begginners in my opinion). They opened their cards, some got Marshtomp, other Hariyama, and another Wailord. Then to my surprise they asked us if we could teach them! Soon after we gave them some of our extra cards (so they could complete evo chains ^_-) and each one of us took one of them and gave them a tutorial on how to play. They all grasped on pretty quickly. I gave them a torchic card from the league kits, since they techincally attended league ^_^. What one kid said though really surprised me... "I didn't think I would like this game so much but I do!!" It seems to me Yugioh has just lost 3 of its younger players. We are expecting them back next sunday for the next league session. This incident gave me pride and made me proud. Dunno why I wrote all this, but I just thought I had to tell or write it to anyone ^_^.
    -Darkleaf Master

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  2. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

:thumb::clap:GREAT JOB! And if they return, and bring their friends, it'll just keep snowballing...great job, guys! This is the type of thing we like to hear about :) ...and I think I'll move it on up to Tourneys and Organized Play since it's technically about League.

'mom

3. League Leader Terry

League Leader Terry New Member

Nice going! I'm trying to do the same with the Yu-Gi-Oh people at my store. :)

4. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

Pokemon 4-ever!!!

We had a similar experience when we were meeting with the store owner where we will be holding the Oregon Sandstorm Prerelease next weekend. As we were talking several of the kids in the store overheard the discussions about Pokemon. They came over to listen, and we gave them a flyer for the tournament. They said that they had collected cards when Pokemon was in its fad stage, but had moved on to other games. As we talked a bit more, one of the kids went over to the counter and bought a R&S Precon deck. He then asked if we could teach him enough so he could be ready to play in the tournament next Saturday. Three of the other kids who were listening also said they would be there to try out Pokemon again.

If you get the game out there for people to see, they will get hooked!!!

BDS :clap:

5. GreatFox

GreatFox New Member

Cool... samething at our league location. For a time, every saturday, we were sharing space with Yu-Gi-Oh players. Every week, we would have the same 8 or 9 players. Then we started having our traditional release week Booster drafts. With each new Card-e set coming out so quickly, we had a lot of drafts. The other Yu-Gi players got intersted. We gave them a little leason and pointed out the differences in the game. On that same day, the bought out the stores entire supply of Pokémon cards.

Some still play Yu-Gi, and some have started to pick up DBZ, but every Saturday at 2 pm, the entire store joins in on our weekly Pokémon Tournaments. We now have about 15 players every week. And now everyone is excited that we're having our Sandstorm Booster draft in 2 weeks.

6. TrueGamerX

TrueGamerX New Member

Yeah similar thing happened to me at my league. At my league, pretty much about 6 or 7 might come to the league, which isn't bad. But this past Saturday I showed up at the League until 12 and I would hang around till YuGiOh at 2. But during the YuGiOh league there were a total of 47 people and I was saying to myself, "Man pokemon used to be just like this". So me and my poke friend played a battle with a Gatr deck and some Psychic deck. And 1 or 2 kids were watching us as showing interest. Sooner or later, I was discussing to them Pokemon is way more easy to play and more fun too and they were interested of getting back into the game and stuff. So I'll try to help more "brainwashed YuGiOh kids" to give Pokemon another chance.

7. League Leader Terry

You also might want to point out that Pokemon is a LOT cheaper than Yu-Gi-Oh is. :)

8. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

Some of the shop owners in the area have said they have even seen a drop in Yu-Gi-Oh and a pick up in the Pokemon playing. On shop even said that at his weekly tournament he will give out store credit and a lot of the winners will buy Pokemon cards with it. :p

9. Pablo

Pablo New Member

yeah, ive been noticing this too around mexico, lately, more than half of the yugioh players, still play it, but are starting to play pokemon alot more, i'd hope we had a prerelease over here, so we could hook up more players...

10. ShadowOfTyranitar

ShadowOfTyranitar New Member

re

Hmmm. I play Yugioh AND Pokemon profesionally. But me and Pidgeotto Trainer have had many experiences just as those. We get little kids interested in the game, they play, etc.

11. Darkleaf Master

<Update>
    Today we held our second session, and alas, the 3 kids did come! Thier parents came along too and talked to a friend of mine mostly (what is your screenname here!! I forgot it!!) But I have to say today was a total success, 8 people showed, and some still missing cause they couldnt come... we had a lot of fun too!! Im glad we can have this league here.
    -Darkleaf Master

12. Skywolf1

Skywolf1 New Member

This is how and WHY this game is going to survive, is because of people like Darkleaf Master. Very nicely done!

I too, have had a similar experience. It seems that Pokemon attendence is coming back though, and YGO is starting to show signs of declining. Why? Because YGO seems to me, to be far less involved, and require less strategy than Pokemon. It seems to me, that whoever can BUY the best deck always wins, and I think over time, that that might tend to turn some players away, as it did me.

Skywolf1

13. Captain Obviousx1

Captain Obviousx1 New Member

Is my area the only place in which the game is declining in popularity? We had turnouts of up to 20 not a month ago. Yesterday however, only 7 people showed up for the tournament! >_<

Oh well, at least all of the good competition showed, but the kids who are new to the game/"vets" who just got into the local tournaments weren't there. Not good...

14. Darkleaf Master

Maybe it was just a large coincidence and they couldnt make it this time? :(

15. Captain Obviousx1

Captain Obviousx1 New Member

Well, it's been about 3 weeks or so since that turnout of 20. Since then, the game has plummeted, not to mention the best player in our shop quitting.

Speaking of being the best, the skill level is turning off players from the game. All of the every tournament players are experienced in the Unlimited format to the point where anything a newer player will have can't really compete. I don't want to lose to revive the game, but it might come to that point...

16. League Leader Terry

Well, my League is still new, but it's growing. The biggest problem I'm running into is that people want to play, but don't have decks and Yu-Gi-Oh has already drained their wallets badly.

17. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

Sounds like one of the best arguments I've heard for Modified formats as opposed to unlimited...

'mom

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  18. Darkleaf Master

Yeah, maybe you should make some modified tournaments, or a format you create, say EXRS up, so the newer players with only newer cards have a better chance to play.

19. cattdreams

cattdreams New Member

Potential players like the kids in the main post are why I definatly recomend league leaders have a deck medkit as per my post on the general board. I'd also suggest building a few extra decks to take with you. build a few fun decks, things that are not for serious competition, but are just plain fun to play and maybe have a delicate or strange stratedgy (perhaps a deck with all flip effect attacks). that way newer players can give you a run for your money, but it'll still be fun to play against them.
    another set(2) of decks you should have handy are teaching decks, that is, decks with simple stratedgys behind them, and purposly balanced out against eachother. they dont have to be spectacular, nor do they have to be modified legal, as long as they play against eachother well. They make a great teaching tool for new players to get the basics down and a few games under their belt. just make sure they dont have too much stratedgy behind them other than beat the other player down. (that is, dont make an energy trans/harvest bounty/wild growth/eggecutor deck)

when teaching a new player, keep it simple, and keep it fun.