primal claw vs poke power evolutions

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by revdjweb, May 27, 2008.

1. revdjweb

revdjweb New Member

Primal Claw - After your opponent's pokemon uses a poke-power put 2 damage counters on that pokemon.

now i was told back in the day, when Shiftry cg was seeing more play, that if a baby pokemon (elekid) used it's power to evolve (to electabuzz) that there would be no damage done to the new pokemon and i believe this is still the case, but the question is about why that is. it can't be because baby evolution removes all damage counters, Primal Claw only goes into effect AFTER the power resolves. therefore i conclude that it doesn't place any damage counters because the pokemon that used the power no longer exists. just like when a pokemon can't attack because of sandstorm but if it evolved it could attack because it is a different pokemon now.

but if this is the case, how about Primal Claw vs. the power evolutions of caterpie and metapod? clearly if caterpie or metapod evoke their power and miss the flip then they are getting two damage counters. but if they do successfully evolve, again wouldn't the damage from Primal Claw be negated because the original pokemon no longer (technically) exists?

while i am on the subject of Primal Claw i also want to raise the question about it versus Ho-Oh's Phoenix Turn. Say Ho-Oh took enough damage from an attack to be KOed and then evoked Phoenix Turn and flipped successfully. Would 2 damage counters then be placed on Ho-Oh for having used its' power? or could one argue that since all damage counters and special conditions were removed via Phoenix Turn that technically this is a brand new Ho Oh that just happens to have all the energy of the old one (i mean, it counted as a KOed pokemon for a prize) and therefore the damage from Primal Claw should be ignored.

2. Syrix_001

Syrix_001 New Member

I believe that Primal claw would work on the Ho-oh in that the power resolves and then the 2 damage is done.

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Your analysis of Caterpie and Metapod is correct.
    No damage if they are gone, 2 damage counters if they are still there.

Ho Oh is still there if it makes a successful flip and since the counters are placed after it is finished using it's Power, the 2 damage counters would be placed.