Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Primpeape DP4 deck idea - Psycho Phat Monkey

Pidgeot5

Not sure whether we can talk about to be cards or whatever but I just like this deck idea, havent heard anyone else talk about Primeape in DP4, though to be fair I haven't been around. Didnt see any talk of it in the DP4 thread :).

Okay... here is the monkey.

Primeape L.41 – Fighting – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Mankey

Poke-Body: Rage Target
If this Pokemon has any damage counters on it, all of this Pokemon’s attacks do an additional 40 damage to any Active Pokemon.

[F][C][C] Lay Out: 50 damage. Primeape is now Confused. Flip a coin, if heads the Defending Pokemon can’t attack during your opponent’s next turn.

Weakness: Psychic (+20)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

I thought you could combo this with Unown P (basically lets you place a damage counter on one of your pokemon if Unown P is benched), and Xatu SW. Xatu has a poke-power that lets you move one status condition from your pokemon to the opponent.

So when Primeape confused itself if its still alive, Xatu could pass the confused condition onto the opponent so Primeape can attack again. The target would then have a 25% chance of being able to attack if they didnt retreat or switch, sounds pretty annoying and the damage is savage for that energy cost.

One of my team members came up with the Xatu strat with Golduck in DP3 (as Im sure a few people did, but as I said, I havent been looking for it), but I think it works much better with Primeape :). I dunno if the set up would be too difficult but two stage 1's shouldn't be too hard with Pachirisu and/or call energy.

If anyone wants a deck list I've got one, but I don't want to make the post too long.

Edit: Ack to spelling, remembering to capitlise every letter then not checking you've spelt PriMEApe's name right

Yeah I saw that primeape in dp4 and I like it. The Unown p idea is a good one but I think it's hp is a bit. That's the only problem I see.

3 Energy? Ew. That's a disgusting attack cost. I suppose it IS for 90, but.. With really only 80 HP, and psychic weakness? Ew...

I think it wants a friend, 'sides Xatu. You're not turn 2 attacking unless you're willing to do only 80, at which point you might as well play Kricketune (especially since Sceptile makes it attack for only 1 energy now) :/

isn't the chance of taking confusion damage 50%? it is either heads of tails, correct?

Nah 25% at best. Primeape's effect is a 50%, confusion is 50%. Whether you place the counter on Primeape or not depends on what the target is, if the target is going to survive but the next 80/90 will KO, you dont place it.

You have to think ahead, and I don't think of it as a t2 deck, even if t2 80 is possible. I think it can have much better lastability against decks with higher HP because of all the effects you can tag onto them.

Unown e could work to get it to 100HP or 90HP doing the extra damage. I like decks that have options and something to think about every turn, I dunno if its going to do anything serious, but it sounds like fun.

You could ofcourse just run Buffer Pieces. Not much that can OHKO a 80 HP poke with a Buffer Piece attached to it.

True, but you can't have it all y'know. Its a bit of a gamble to play Primeape but the rewards could be high.

Nah 25% at best. Primeape's effect is a 50%, confusion is 50%. Whether you place the counter on Primeape or not depends on what the target is, if the target is going to survive but the next 80/90 will KO, you dont place it.

You have to think ahead, and I don't think of it as a t2 deck, even if t2 80 is possible. I think it can have much better lastability against decks with higher HP because of all the effects you can tag onto them.

Unown e could work to get it to 100HP or 90HP doing the extra damage. I like decks that have options and something to think about every turn, I dunno if its going to do anything serious, but it sounds like fun.

hold on, prime is automatically confused (on flipping here), common sense is to slap that onto the opponent with xatu, then they have to flip they're confusion, unless you apply the chance of attacking, which is effectivly unmeasurable as there is alays a different circumstance to the game in each match yo play :/

god i hate statistics.

that aside, wormadam plant is the one for stats and damage output right now imho, though i prefer mothim to any wormadam.

Maybe you could try Mothim in this?
Using unknown to put a damage counter on Mothim, it is now able to do 70 and when hes on the verge of getting koed, silver wind so PRIMEAPE COMES AND DOES 3 FOR 130

And Silver wind does damage for two energy (only one is specific)... Burmy Sandy Cloak grabs some of those fighting energy you play with... Mothim doesn't care what Burmy it evolves from... Not to mention Fighting Resistance for fighting yourself (yeah, right).

I like it. Mothim and Primeape... The low HP will have to be worked around, but it's certainly interesting. (I suppose energy too is a tad scary, but it'll work out)

The thing is Mothim needs GC not GG and Ape needs FCC not FFC or FFF.
So you could easily get away with
4 DRE
4 Multi
4 Fighting
2 Grass
1 Scramble

Hmm not bad :). My original make up had something like this, few more fighting, 1 psychic, it wouldnt be too hard to make Mothim work... that energy line up isn't bad, though I like a few more t1 energy then that but I guess I'll tweak with it some.

I'll try with and without Mothim. This gets more interesting then :).

That sounds like a really fun idea! I'm not sure how it would do competetively 'cause of its HP & attack cost.
I suppose you you could use DRE ,but the HP is still an issue. I think he needs another partner. But what?....

I too like the ape when I first saw it, the initial concept you have going isn't a bad one either. Xatu helps in both ways, that it counters weakness and moves that confusion. Unown are easy to pull out from your deck, in case you need it. here is the nice thing about the primeape. it starts hitting absol for 30 via Mankey, the can KO it next turn.

You could play 4 DRE to try and insure that T2 T8 or you could play Memory Berry and Jolteon * to ensure the KO on the Absol T2 or any other starter. Just some more ideas.

Back