Prize cards

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by japple52, Oct 8, 2007.

1. japple52

japple52 New Member

Yesterday at BR, my son was playing in the top cut, and I noticed one game he forgot to take a prize card or two during his second game (it’s a bad habit he has). I didn't really keep up on the game too much, so I didn't say anything to the judge. He lost that game. The next game, I noticed he forgot to take a prize card after knocking out his first Pokemon. This is his error, however he could gain an advantage by not drawing his prizes (i.e. Scramble Energy). I decided to called over the judge and ask him to please make sure that both players weren't forgetting to take their prize cards. Is this okay, or should I have not said anything?

Thanks,

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

That was the right way to handle it, by speaking with the judge. I know that sometimes I have to stand biting my tongue as a player (or even my own son) misses making an important play, but as long as the play was legal (or optional in the case of a missed play), no comments to the player can be made.

However, taking Prize cards is not an optional action and so it is proper for a judge to remind a player and/or correct the game state for past prizes.

Of course, if time and multiple turns have passed, such correction gets harder or is even impossible.
    But if caught right away, it can easily be corrected.

Note that it is both players' responsibility to keep track of game state and Cautions, Warnings, or other penalties may accrue, depending on how often the error occurs.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007