Professor Birch VS Professor Oak's Research

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by TrueGamerX, Apr 3, 2004.

1. TrueGamerX

TrueGamerX New Member

Tonight is our Main Event! In the first corner, this card is one of best supporter to put in any deck. You shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 5 cards. It is Professor Oak's Research!
    And it's opponent, who is from the Ruby and Sapphire, and kinda looks like the fat brother of Professor Elm, and you draw cards until you have a total of 6 cards in your hand, Professor Birch!

Ok I'll stop being a nerd now ;) . But anyway, I was playtesting both cards these past couple of weeks and it seems to me that both are quite alright.
    Professor Oak's Research is undeniably the best drawing card to put in all decks of this format. You shuffle a 1 or 2 card hand into your deck and get a fresh new 5 cards.
    But on the other card, Professor Birch has upholds its strategy too. Say you only got 1 card in your hand which is the Birch, you draw 5 cards. The thing with this card is that you do as much as you can with the other cards in your hand and then use Birch. But Birch is risky by drawing too many cards.

But I'm stumped, which one is kind of better or more riskier?

2. Lugias_Realm

Lugias_Realm New Member

Only problem I have found in using Birch or have it come up is sometimes I may still have 3 or 4 cards in my hand and no where to put them so my draw is minimal. POR has 1 problem every now and then and that is having to shuffle in cards you would really like to have in your hand, unable to use at that particular time but hoping that a fresh set of cards would do the trick, only now the other cards you would have liked to have kept are back in the deck, What to Do???

3. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

they're two completely different styles of cards. Birch is a straight draw card. Oak is a deck cycler. You can't really compare the two.

4. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan New Member

it depends on the deck but in most circumstances Id go with Oaks Research.

5. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

I concur-its not really a fair comparison. Fair would be Copycat vs POR, which has been done, or TV Reporter Vs the Schemers... or whatver the TMvTA card is that discards a Pokemon then lets you draw.

6. bullados

with what I said above in mind, I just plain don't like Birch, I find it to be a complete waste of space, mostly b/c I don't believe in dumping off cards in order to get new ones. I like POR b/c I've always been a big fan of hand cycling.

7. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Now compare and contrast that with me: I prefer straight draw over cycling, but I do agree that dumping cards is a waste. The difference is, in most of my casual decks (before Firestarter started dominating, they were competitive :p), I stove for efficiencey-cards should not sit in my hand very long. This lead to me having about 2 cards in my hand during my opponent's turn, ergo Birch was usually a double Bill for me.

8. bullados

same as with my decks. However, I have terrible topdecking luck, and am usually stuck with evolutions that I don't need (Gardy when I've already got 3 out) or Basics that I can't use (eg a 3rd Wobb/Wynaut). I'm also plagued by the 5 energy hand, which many people consider a blessing I'm told. I can usually get no more than about 2-3 cards off Birch, while POR gives me a guaranteed 5.

9. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Not trying to get off subject here, but this is a perfect example of how playing style determines card value in a deck. The deck I play most has two stage one Pokemon, so I rarely have an evo stuck in hand for many turns. Even when I do, I ahve TV Reporter to ditch an extra (if its in my hand still, it sporbably extra). Like i said, that's me though. Ironically, for my decks that use Stage 2s, I still prefer straight draw, though agree that Birch is weak there. It's a lot easier to hold onto that Rare Candy or evo that I need while waiting on the rest of the cards.

10. CrimsonWarrior26

CrimsonWarrior26 New Member

POR is a better card because not only does it give you a fresh start but it will also come out again in
    I think it was Flight of the Legends .

P.S. I got this information from Nick15's spoiler.

11. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Bye that logic, the basic Energy cards are the best ever released. ;) Even if we limit it to Trainers, that means that Swticha nd Potion are the best ever released. :p Being rereleased mainly means a card has never caused problems. Also, look at what sets the cards are in: Birch wouldn't be re-released until Ruby/Sapphire would be close to being rotated out. The WotC sets are already on borrowed time, so it makes sense to re-release some of the cards from that.

12. Physics Squirrel

Physics Squirrel Active Member

In most decks, "regular" decks, POR is better. But there are certain pokemon that I feel give a clear advantage to one or the other, or a different card. If you play Furret, you may want to play both, but Birch is better or at least as good as POR, since you shuffle all unused cards back anyway. If you play Magneton, then both POR and Birch are unworthy compared to Juggler. Plus, Magneton's poke-power can discard un-needed cards so that you won't draw them back, whether you use POR or Birch. POR is better in decks that run stage 2's (getting extras in hand). POR is better in most other decks as well, but ultimately, it all depends on the deck and the other cards in it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  13. POKEMAN

POKEMAN New Member

I like an even split 2/2 it is kinda tricky to ballence your trainers but 2/2 is a good combo