Professor Rowan...Why aren't You Playing It?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Muk Man, Jul 31, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Muk Man

Muk Man New Member

Ever since i read the spoiler for the card i've been in love with it. Take one card out of you hand place it to the side shuffle the rest back and draw 4.
    I mean How great is it to look at you hand and say i dont need any of these cards... except the rare candy and get a whole new hand!
    Add the fact that you can then combine it with claydol... i get four new cards, then play 2 of them, then put 2 on the bottom and draw 5. i just got to bassically pick and choose between 11 different cards in a single turn.

That 11 cards out of a 60 card deck!!!

I have only seen 1-2 othere players play this card, and i don't even remember seeing it on anyone's decklist on the gym.

Why aren't more people taking advantage of such a great card?

The math on this card is crazy
    you get to look and choose between 11 cards of your 60 card deck.... plus the cards you already had in hand before you played the card!!

2. I use to play it then those absols would have me down to just the one card sometimes. But now that Absol has faded Rowan is back in a few of my decks.

3. master of puppets

master of puppets New Member

I've been playing at least 1 Rowan in most of my next format decks.
    It's going to see a lot more play come next format
    And you are very right about it comboing great with Claydol, the only one that works better with it is Steven's, but that won't be around.

4. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

I like Rowan, however as much as I hate copycat, right now it is much better. Against GG if you play CC and Steven's they will occasionaly use your steven's and then you get to CC for 11 or 10 which is incredible. :thumb:

I expect it to see more play next year.

Drew

5. PokePockets

PokePockets New Member

I have somewhat played it this format, but with the lack of great draw cards, etc. I think that Prof. Rowan will see much more play next year, even if it is only 1-2 per deck.

6. Alazor

Alazor Active Member

I kind of like Team Galactic's Wager vs. Furret when I have my Claydol out.
    But Rowan is decent, if Copycat isn't reprinted.

7. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

I play at least 1 in every deck that I've taken to a competitive event. My decks without claydol run 4 of them. Decks with the clay man run 1 or 2.

I think that Rowan has been overshadowed by Copycat and Wager. Copycat because it doesn't require that you have another card in hand & is fairly reliable with all the Claydols running around. TGW because of the disruption and Claydol again.

Next format I expect to see a bit more Rowan but TGW will still probably be played more.

8. ChaosKnuckles

ChaosKnuckles New Member

IMO I'd rather use Claydol and hope to get a Searcher or the card I need. Though there are some decks that need trainers like Rare Candy. But the thing is you're shuffling the cards back into your deck, giving you a chance to draw them again. Though this might have found the problem I have with getting Rare Candy's in my various decks. *Goes and fits it in to deck* THanks for opening my eyes to a fairly forgotten card.

9. Muk Man

Muk Man New Member

yeah copycat may give you a large hand but the thing with copycat vs rowan is that if you're playing against a skilled gardy they wont copy your stevens for 4-5 cards if they are halfway setup, for fear of you playing copycat or even a chatot. i used to run copycat but the good opponents, the ones i needed to beat would only max their hand size when they had to topdeck a certain card... DRE Rare Candy Warp point everything else they just searched for so i only copycat for-4-5 cards anyway and thats why i found Rowan to be better

10. Globefishpoison

Globefishpoison New Member

I'd substituted Rowan for TGW in favor of a stronger offense. They're both hand shuffle cards. While Rowan is more solid in terms of what I'll get back, Wager always ensures that I'll disrupt my opponent's hand. So far it has worked in my decks for the better. Until Claydol starts suffering from IFDS Gengar, Aerodactyl, and Starmie, I'll probably start looking at more supporter-based engines, and Rowan will become a viable card.

11. yoyofsho16

yoyofsho16 New Member

Yes, people tend to lean more towards TGW.

12. kent007

kent007 New Member

I have played it but not much. I wanna to play it in long schedule so,i will try it again during his weekend.

13. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

I lean towards TGW for the added disruption, although I acknowledge that Rowan is a very decent support.

14. Black Mamba

Black Mamba New Member

I like Rowan, it definitely had its place in decks this season, and will be a contender with Cynthia in the next.

15. Absoltrainer

Absoltrainer Active Member

It def. has potential. If you look, the engines of this format focus more on pokemon and less on combined trainers (although there are trainer engines) next format there are tons of trainer engine combinations to be seen, most of which can be combined with the current Pokemon engines.

16. Zumanity

Zumanity New Member

The most popular ones right now i think are Team Galactic's Wager & Professor Oaks Visit. I've always thought Rowan was good and wondered why a lot of people didn't like it. I agree it will see a lot more play after the rotation not only because the lack of good draw supporters, but it does work good with a lot of things.

17. Killax

Killax New Member

I agree that its a nice card, and really usefull when using a claydol and your hand still stinks.

The main reason however is that I don't use it in my deck is because if I've got a warp point and a rare candy in my hand I'd rather keep both of them!

18. Muk Man

Muk Man New Member

Wager has it's good points, but everyone is overlooking the fact that you can LOSE A WAGER AND HELP YOUR OPPONENT...lol or what if your opponent has a horrible start and is down to a two card hand, and you sitting there with 2 wagers in hand cause you just thought you needed 3 in your deck?(I know this has happened to someone besides me)
    Or the biggest drawback to wager
    Now you opponent will telepass wager evryturn till they win, the psy lock you to death. Who's missing that rowans now?

19. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

If I have a Claydol out, it doesn't matter if I win or not. Losing is actually better imho since you can then play 1-2 cards and draw 4-5 more with Claydol. If you win, you play 1-2 cards and then draw 1-2 cards. Also, even if my opponent wins, I've still disrupted their hand.

If I have a Claydol out, I will just put 1 or 2 of the wager on the bottom of my deck and draw a full hand. Seriously, you don't need a supporter every turn if you have Claydol refreshing your hand every turn. Supporters only make your setup even quicker.

There will be much less telepassing next format, and there will be even less psy-lock. Rowan wouldn't help that situation anyways. You keep 1 card, draw 4 new ones, and then proceed to have your hand reduce down to nothing as Gardevior psychic locks you to oblivion. Both instances with both supporters are just as bad if you are getting Psychic Locked and wager'd every turn.

20. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

Rowan + Uxie is similar to Claydol. Keep Uxie in hand when you play Rowan, play cards from the new 4 and drop Uxie to draw 3 more cards, plus an extra card for every card you played out of the new 4. E.g. if you start with a hand of 4, 2 of which are the Rowan and Uxie and play 2 out of the new 4, you are going through 13 cards.