protective sleeves?

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by cwgabriel, Oct 19, 2007.

1. cwgabriel

cwgabriel New Member

not sure if this is the right forum. I'm very new to the game and recently went and watched a tournament in my area. It seemed all the players had their cards in protective sleeves. Is this a requirement?

I tried them out with my deck and found it nearly impossible to shuffle the damn things. Also they seem to tear very easy. Does everyone use these things?

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

It's not a requirement unless you have some Japanese cards in your deck that have a different backing than the rest of the world.

It is highly recommended, though. Cards can take a beating when being played without sleeves.
    Different sleeves have different levels of quality, so you may find some don't hold up well and others do.
    You can ask your local Tournament Organizer for a recommendation.

Regarding shuffling: Don't shuffle them the same way that you shuffle a deck of 52 playing cards. Head to head, the edges of the cards will get into the opening of the card they are being shuffled against and then you will get rips and tears quite frequently.
    Shuffle then side to side instead of end to end.
    It takes a little practice, but once you get it, you'll never damage the sleeves.
    There are other ways to shuffle as well. Ask people to show you and see what you like.