Proxys

Discussion in 'Archive' started by GCTonyHawk7, Apr 9, 2004.

1. GCTonyHawk7

GCTonyHawk7 New Member

Can you play proxys in a real tournament?

2. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

3. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Unless a card becomes damaged during the event. At that point, the Head Judge will allow you to replace it with a proxy Energy card. Usually, the best thing to do is to take a Sharpie and write the name of the removed card on the proxy. The card that was removed is placed to the side for reference. That is the only time that a proxy may be used in a sanctioned tournament!
    -Phil

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  4. RainbowRichards

I found this in the POP Floor Rules:

Proxy Cards
    A card that has been damaged or marked during the course of a tournament may be replaced, at the discretion of the head judge. During Limited-format tournaments, cards that have been damaged during the manufacturing process, it is the head judge’s discretion on how the card or booster is replaced.

Phil, can you direct me to something where it is stated that "Head Judge will allow you to replace it with a proxy Energy card" (because I couldn't find it)?? Maybe this is just common "judge" knowledge that the damaged card will be replaced with an Energy card.

Thanks!

5. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Usually when a card is damaged, the player does not have a copy available of the damaged card. The quickest and easiest way to resume normal play is to take an energy card and use that as the proxy for the damaged card.
    -Phil

6. RainbowRichards

Okay, so this is just sort of a tried-and-true, 'common sense' way to do it, right? Thanks!

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

What if someone comes to a Tourney with a damaged card.
    Can they show it to the Judge and ask if they can use a proxy for it, keeping it on the side?

8. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

Well, it depends on how 'damaged' the card is. If possible, I'd have the player sleeve prior to issuing proxy cards. I see proxys as a last ditch. You may want to compare it to the old WotC days when we had mandatory translation cards outside of the deck, but with the ability to produce somewhat plausable 'fake cards,' I wouldn't necessarilly let it pass. It all depends on situation.