Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Psychic Cut needing to declare prize flips prior to attack

JandPDS

I have been playing Gallade for all of Citys, and no one here in Washington has been playing it that way. Everyone has been announcing the attack and then saying 60, flip, 80- flip 100, flip 120 KO. I have been playing that way as has everyone that I have ever played against or in games that I have judged it has been played that way including a player from Ohio that won a CC her ein Washington with Gallade.) If this is the rule now how can we get it enforced? Say if a player dose not announce how many prizes that he will flip prior to saying the Psychic Cut attack, can we raise our hand and get a judge over to enforce that only 60 damage is done and no more?

If this is the rule now that will be huge going into this weekends games because no one has been playing that way and if it is to be played that way not getting KO'd by a Gallades 1st attack will be a huge advantage this weekend

This is not a "new rule".
A reading of the card shows that it is the correct way to play it.
Players are often sloppy. That doesn't mean that they are playing it correctly.

I'm not going to get into how the Judge should handle it.
I would say, though, that anticipating "trapping" your opponent's in a misplay doesn't fall into the Spirit of the Game.

Pop is 100% right, however, in practice, nearly all variable damage attacks based on counts of things that you discard, reveal, etc. have been judged as a bit open-ended. Just look at people discarding energy for Metagross delta's Crush and Burn... then announcing KO, but, by customary judging, being given the ability to discard more cards when they miscounted or overlooked resistance (e.g. Flygon), etc.

In addition, if a kid (or an old guy like me) is counting as he flips prizes, "50, 70, 90, 110" (e.g., there's a DRE on Gallade), I'm personally not going to give him a caution, since this is evidence of him playing carefully and trying to get the damage right the first time.

I wouldn't count on going to a judge to enforce 'single prior choice' this weekend.

Back