Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Psychic should be weak to Dark.

Dr. Mason

For serious. That's a huge weakness for Psychic in the games, and it would make Psychic and Dark more viable types. Psychich being weak to itself has been pretty bad,(lack of viable GG counters for instance) and would give Dark decks a much better chance. I also thionk rock type fighting cards should be weask to Steel. They are in game, and water already has major advantage on fire. Grass should hit water a little more often too. I guess the way types were done in this card game is unbalanced any way you do it...what do you think?

Agreed, OP should be doing everything they can to ensure that types are not weak to themselves. If a type that is weak to itself is super popular, then the best counter for it, is it: Prime example being G&G.

Sadly, it's an old complaint.

Even if it would put alot of decks upside down in terms of Weakness and Resistance change, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Since GG I've thought it's best to stay out of the Psychic beats Psychic beats Rock loses to Dark loop.

But how? All the ghosts are so close to good... Is there another Genger coming soon?...

To make matters worse, ever since DP, Poison got thrown in with Psychic, so now the only thing weak to Psychic other than Psychic are the rare occurrences when a Grass/Poison takes the Psychic weakness over the Fire.

Oh, and totally unrelated, but Bronzong's weakness and resistance make no sense whatsoever. Like, Fighting-type Torkoal level no sense.

No it does, in a way. Psychich bronzong is the 'heatproof' one. Bronzong s in the game can have the ability Heatproof which lowers fire damage.

However, Bronzong in the game takes normal damage from Fire attacks when Heatproof and quarter damage from Psychic. It is neither resistant to Fire nor weak to Psychic. A proper Heatproof Bronzong would have weakness to Fighting (if any) and resistance to Psychic(/Grass/Water/Colorless).

The best thing that could happen would be for Dark to absorb Ghost (offensively, they're basically the same type in the game), and all Psychic Pokemon to gain weakness to Darkness while Poison goes back to Grass or something. Of course, then we'd have Dark weak Dark Pokemon. However, since there are fewer Ghosts than Psychic's it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
:/ I don't see it. Ghost is not affected by fighting or normal, so Ghost could not be weak to fighting.

Re-read my post. I said Ghost and Dark were basically the same type offensively, not defensively. Dark-type Ghost Pokemon would be weak to Dark (last two sentences of my last post).

I think with the types being combined obviously it presents issues when assigning weaknesses in general, Electric Pokemon not being weak to Fighting types in the game etc but taking weakness from all of them because of Ground. There's a few inbalances like being too much weak to Fighting, and what they kinda did there was make more Fighting resistances, even when it didn't make sense like Dragons WITHOUT dual Flying type =/. I think yeah the best solution would be to make GHOST pokemon into Dark type cards, actually Poison as Dark woulda made more sense than Psychic. The only reason to make Poison Psychic I can really imagine is because they're PURPLE =/.

What we have is a system where often the weaknesses and resistances of any given card are determined by only 1 of that Pokemon's 2 types, so a second type's resistances or even immunities are sometimes ignored, like Lightning weak Gligar and stuff.

Now if Ghost Pokemon where Dark types then making Psychic types Dark-weak would make absolute sense as their current weakness is representative of Ghost. Even though something to note is Psychic was originally immune to Ghost (Lick being the only straight damaging move in the video games) and thus anything other Grass (Bug) made no sense for the original Psychic cards. But I'm just rambling now.

Steel is meant to be weak offensively and Ice already has the weakness, so I dunno if Rock really needs it. It would make sense but either way is fine. I'd probably just use Grass weakness because Grass is generally underappreciated, although as you say more Grass weak Water types would also sort this out, Flying and Water are already weak to Electric most of the time so switching some Waters to Grass weak would be ok.

Honestly I think the best idea is just to do it on a card-by-card basis, pick the best w/r for each Pokemon using both their types whilst making it as balanced as possible. Give things like Kingdra a Fire resistance for example.

Back