Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ptcggbc/gba?

Psycho_Lugia_X

Wasn't the Pokémon Trading Card Game for Gameboy Color great? I loved that game. It was nearly flawless. The only downside was the infernal coin rigger--er, flipper...

I'm a big fan of the TCG for GBC. I love it because its nice and neat and ready to go, fast. The real life TCG is great too, but sometimes you dont have the space---or maybe even an opponent!---handy. So in those regards, the GB TCG was pretty efficient. Then if you look at the game itself, as a GBC game, it was pretty great too.

The music was great, the graphics were decent (most importantly accurate to the TCG), and the battling system was perfectly suitable (the TCG was reproduced for the GBC with great precision and accuracy, except for the mulligan/bonus draws).

It's been a while since the US version was first churned out. We (U.S.) didn't get part two and we have had plenty of ammo given out by WotC and now Nintendo itself since then. Consequently i think it's about time for that sequel to become a trillogy.

Am I alone in thinking it's about time for the TCGGB to advance on to a third installment? Imagine it: a new Pokétitle for your library, and a new weirder name to win Nintendo Power's weirdest/funniest-title-of-the-year award; Pokémon Trading Card Game for Gameboy Advance (PTCGGBA)! ^_^

Think of the music, the graphics, the CARDS!!! The GBA would catapult the TCG's success. But regardless of the end result, wasn't the first one great?

Last edited:
I think it would be a great idea. We could use E-Reader technology to scan the card list for new expansions and use them in the video game. Also, if the real cards have an E-Reader bar, we could scan them in (The Pokedex bar) and register the card.

What would be even cooler, even though it is kind of like Yu-gi-oh! is to have a GCN or Nexus game where the Pokemon actually attack the other cards. With the Nexus, you could probably have both, because it will have a GBA game slot that you could use.

I DO TOO!!!!!! I've been wanting Nintendo to make a new one! Even if it wuz Neo-on or E-on, or Unlimited I wouldn't care! But if Nintendo makes a new one the unfortunate part about it is they will make the card sets in the game Nintendo-on... That's ok w/ me! It'd give us more practice for the new format! Thx for starting this thread CTA, b/c I always forget too... lol
Hope we get our wish!!!:thumb:
-SwampertEX

I wouldn't mind it once ADV4/5 comes out (and not the AM set), just to test different deck ideas against trashy decks.

The first game was too easy, all you had to do was pull out wigglytuff and you would be unstoppable.

If I didn't TCG for GBC I wouldn't be playing Pokemon-e TCG today. That was the best tutorial you could ever get. Now it is a shame that it has become outdated from today's version of the game.

Actually, Wizards can't really stop Nintendo from making them..considering Nintendo's been making them from the begining in Japan. I really don't see an Advance version coming out any time soon. There was a sequel to the first on that never made it out of Japan. It sold poorly, too. So chances are, it won't happen. Plus the number of people who still play the card game in the US is waaaay too small now compared to when it first came out.

Mysterious, it's still a great oppertunity to play a really old version of the game. I still pop it in occassionally (not anymore, the game's battery is dead.).

U know, in a recent Nintendo Power, i believe they said that u can mail in ur game pack to get recharged...

Yeah i was just thinking the same thing: scan those suckers into ur GBA version! Rather than have to tediously punch in the codes like in YGO, u just swipe and u got the cards at instaspeed!

I would have zero problem with even E-on, and would consider it a BONUS if they included the stuff since when they dropped off.

At the very least i want a renascence for the game in GBA form, but man wouldnt that GCN version rock?

This would open worlds of connectibility for Nintendo to explore--i mean Pokémon is practically based offa interconectibility. They practically invented it. Who ever bought an old skool GB link if they didnt pack some poképower? I wanted that link so bad i even settled for this weird weird color...but thats another story...

but lets get realistic; lets discuss the reasons why nintendo SHOULDN'T revive da game...its fun to be grim...

Just think, they could include all the non e-reader sets, then you can update the e-reader sets by scanning. I think this would be a great game and become a staple to any TCG player, it would sure improve upon Apprentice.

Remember, App isn't a Pokemon program, it's a MTG program modified for Pokemon.

And, yes, I would absolutely love to see that kind of interconnectability between the different games. It would give the GBAers a reason to buy the PTCG and the TCGers a reason to buy the GBA games. IMO, it's a win-win situation. Also, it would help in getting more players into PTCG, as the PGB crowd is absolutely huge, encompassing a good portion of my 4000+ student skool and who knows how many people worldwide (at least the 7 million copies that have been sold of the ADV generation)

I still have my funky foil Meowth in it's original plastic wrap :)

I'm not too sure if I'd get a newer version of the game, though. The first was outdated when it reached European stores; the Team Rocket expansion got here first, and the GBC game only went as far as Fossil. I just found it a little boring when I had these cooler Dark cards to use. I know now that it worked as a game unto itself, but back then I wasn't thinking like that. My brother loved it, though.

These days, E-Reader connectivity would be a huge bonus (though we're still waiting for that gizmo over here :I). On the negative side, who to market to? Existing fans of the card game, or regular GBA players? That wasn't a consideration first time 'round. The former may not be big enough, and the latter may not be interested. They'd really have to market aggresively if aimed at the latter, and make the game truly accessible, perhaps more like an RPG than the basic map of the first game.

Anyhow, I'm renowned for being able to overanalyse a brick wall. I'll leave the rest to the Nintendo bods to figure out. I, personally, might be curious about such a game, but probably not enough to buy it.

Very nice insight, Dunjohn.

I think this would be a great way for Nin to boost their wallets because i see it this way: theres SOMEone thats going to buy it. There'll be a Carder or there'll be a Gamer; someone out of every few potential customers will pick this up. Couple it of course with a promo or two or three...bite offa YGO!

I'm pretty sure we got the game when Rocket came out too right? Or just about...(US).

And i could definately go for a travel around and duel system! I was soooo depressed when it was a walk around a map thing. They could make a Duel Monsters 3D kinda thing...it would be huge! Have red face paint trainers walk around like the Rare Hunters or something, a crew of thuggish players. If you lose, you cough up a card from your collection or somethign. So as not to ruin your deck, they could claim what type of card is for ante (Poké, Trainer, Spec. Energy) and then you could agree or something. Or not, but at least a group of lame gamers to take down.

Or even better!!! I just thought of this as i was writing the last sentence: Make it Tony Hawk's Underground style!!! U start out as an unknown trainer/duelist! Then you work your way up to bigger and badder tournaments and use connections u gain by impressing fictitious big names in the GB card scene! You could boost your street cred as the best duelist in the city, state, country, then move on to the ultimate world tournament!

If you've played THUG, you know how good hte story line is...think that but with the PokéTCG as ur playground!

by some rare fluke, this might actually revive or at least boost the popularity in the game of everywhere west of japan (there's already enough players over here!).

Psycho_Lugia_X said:
Yeah i was just thinking the same thing: scan those suckers into ur GBA version! Rather than have to tediously punch in the codes like in YGO, u just swipe and u got the cards at instaspeed!
Umm, the only prob is that if they did like YGO, u can only get the card once, and the u can't do it again. On the other hand, if they let u scan it as many times as u want, ppl would have 4 of every card in their possesion (E-reader card ne ways...). In those instances, ppl would either all have invincible decks, or really crappy ones... I like the idea, but I don't think it'll work in this instance...
-SwampertEX

Yeah, I've been hoping that an updated Game Boy version of the TCG would come out. Maybe as far as updating your game's card pool, you could swipe in E-reader cards, but instead of simply giving you the card, it adds the card to the pool of available cards, so you can get it randomly.

I see what ur sayin, Swamp', but i am sure there is a practical remedy: the game has an internal recognition system...like YGO, I'm told...scan something once and the game remembers you unlocked card X already, so you can no longer unlock any other cards with the same name.

EVER NOTICED?!!!
that there is a YGO-esque coding on each card now (at the bottom leftish)...what could Nintendo be up to i wonder...any thoughts?

I smell a CONSPIRACY!!!

Anyways, Dunjohn did make a good point about marketing to different people. To an extent, you can say that it could be marketed to both at the same time. Here's how:

TCG Gamers: It would be the GBC de-ja-vu that would be looking for. Since they would know all the rulings and have a good portion of the cards, it would make it easy for them to get into the game. You would also have an opponent every day. Basically, it would be an update for them, making it easier for them to get into the game (the only thing that they might not like is the tutorial at the beginning :lol: )

GBA Gamers: It would be a great way to save money. How? THink about it. You get all the cards in the game, so you dont have to worry about spending $3000 on cards *points to self* :lol: . It would also be very easy for them to play the game with the tutorial that they usually have. But here's a cool twist that was also introduced with the GBC version. Once they get enough experience with the GBA game, they can they take their knowledge to the actual cards game as well as our Single Card Strategies and Rulings forums. Thay way, they can get knowledge from real Card game trainers and gain new strategies.
(In other words, more bang for their buck :lol: )

True, true!

I think the game would ultimately spell success for the real TCG because of a simple observation. I noticed, as i'm sure a bunch of u guys have, that Pokémon is almost taboo now to the older generation, but shock-and-amazement when R/S came out, there were scores of GBA's whipped out playing the brightly colored red and blue cartridges! So my point is this: these "hipsters" will be more likey to pick up a GBA version of anything Pokémon since they can play it without flashing it around for every other cool dude to see.

Eventually, they realize there are more fans than they thought--than i thought too!--so what I'm saying is more fans that have abandoned the franchise will be more likey to buy the GBA version...which will lead them to remembering how much they enjoyed the game. Trust me, EVERYone dipped their toes into the card game. Some really played more than others, but the point is that eventually these real players (heh) will eventually buy some cards in real life to boost (heh) their game. Imagine the profits if 85% of a single high school alone bought one deck and say even just one booster. Now multiply those profits for the nation. I'd call it a get-rich-quick scheme...

One of the major truths of the issue, before i go:
It's one thing to have cool cards in a video game
It's another to actually hold them in your hands.

Back