Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Query re Buying Boosters on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

panacea

Recently purchased three sets of 5 FRLG booster packs from different sellers on a certain popular auction site.

Wondering if buying packs when in comes to online auctions ?

Set numbers one and two duly arrived (sent from seller in USA) and I received an extra "free" booster pack of Keepers .... at this stage I was thinking wow what a nice seller. However when I looked at my FRLG booster packs there were two tiny needle point type holes in the back of each pack about on third of the way across the pack and the holes were about one inch apart. Gave the cards to the kids thinking nothing further of it. They pulled junky cards and enjoy the thrill (they are both younger than 7)

Set number three arrived two day later. This time there are three pokecoins thrown in for free. All of a sudden I begin thinking hmmmm why are these sellers throwing in stuff for free when they are gouging top dollar for the cards. Lo and behold I notice the same marks on the back so these packs. However this time rather than giving the cards to the kids I examined the pack more closely. It was pretty evident that these same needle type marks are not present on my DP/MP or previous type boosters so they cant be from distributor. Whilst the first set received on the previous day appeared to be regular packs (except for the two holes) the second set that came from UK looked like the centre strip had been carefully peeled open about half an inch, then the pack opened about half an inch across the top and subsequently everythng was folded back in place and carefully glued in place although in three of the packs the job was pretty poor.

See pics at links for rough idea on holes and amateur looking glue job at end of pack:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/lamfox/frlg1.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/lamfox/FRLG2.jpg

Generally I would care less as they were purchased for the kids and to be fair although everything they received was junk they did enjoy opening the boosters to see what they got.

Is this a well known phenomonon to be chalked up to experience or is there a list anywhere here of ppl to avoid on certain auction sites ?

EDIT:
Almost forgot the point of the post (other than to warn others to be cautious) ...... can someone please tell me what those little pin ***** holes on the backs of the cards were for so in future I can just avoid any similar packs if I happen across them anywhere. I want to encourage the kids to save for their packs and to share in the enjoyment of collecting the sets together but really want to avoid being jacked around if poss.

Thanks in advance for the advise/comments

For the record: Out of 15 packs the kids did not receive a single Ex and with came across two Holos from the first 17 cards of the set (Marowak and Poliwrath). Seems pretty low to me

Last edited:
Recently purchased three sets of 5 FRLG booster packs from different sellers on a certain popular auction site.

Wondering if buying packs when in comes to online auctions ?

Set numbers one and two duly arrived (sent from seller in USA) and I received an extra "free" booster pack of Keepers .... at this stage I was thinking wow what a nice seller. However when I looked at my FRLG booster packs there were two tiny needle point type holes in the back of each pack about on third of the way across the pack and the holes were about one inch apart. Gave the cards to the kids thinking nothing further of it. They pulled junky cards and enjoy the thrill (they are both younger than 7)

Set number three arrived two day later. This time there are three pokecoins thrown in for free. All of a sudden I begin thinking hmmmm why are these sellers throwing in stuff for free when they are gouging top dollar for the cards. Lo and behold I notice the same marks on the back so these packs. However this time rather than giving the cards to the kids I examined the pack more closely. It was pretty evident that these same needle type marks are not present on my DP/MP or previous type boosters so they cant be from distributor. Whilst the first set received on the previous day appeared to be regular packs (except for the two holes) the second set that came from UK looked like the centre strip had been carefully peeled open about half an inch, then the pack opened about half an inch across the top and subsequently everythng was folded back in place and carefully glued in place although in three of the packs the job was pretty poor.

See pics at links for rough idea on holes and amateur looking glue job at end of pack:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/lamfox/frlg1.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/lamfox/FRLG2.jpg

Generally I would care less as they were purchased for the kids and to be fair although everything they received was junk they did enjoy opening the boosters to see what they got.

Is this a well known phenomonon to be chalked up to experience or is there a list anywhere here of ppl to avoid on certain auction sites ?

EDIT:
Almost forgot the point of the post (other than to warn others to be cautious) ...... can someone please tell me what those little pin ***** holes on the backs of the cards were for so in future I can just avoid any similar packs if I happen across them anywhere. I want to encourage the kids to save for their packs and to share in the enjoyment of collecting the sets together but really want to avoid being jacked around if poss.

Thanks in advance for the advise/comments

For the record: Out of 15 packs the kids did not receive a single Ex and with came across two Holos from the first 17 cards of the set (Marowak and Poliwrath). Seems pretty low to me

If I recall correctly, some of the olders sets had those bumps/holes. It most likely was a production thing. As for the not recieving of holos, your seller is either weighing packs and keeping the heavy ones or got them from someone else who did that and doesnt know. I have had this happen before. I always ask if I plan on buying packs if that is the case. If you happen to find someone that you actually get something good stick with them.

JMO,
Drew

One thing I would like to add to this thread is that if you are to buy single packs, it's much better to do so at the stores than take your chances with people on Ebay. Just my personal opinion based off experience. I have had the same thing happen to me but it's been a couple years since I've bought single packs on Ebay. As much as we all would like everything to be legit, it doesn't always happen because the packs can be easily manipulated by the methods drew mentioned above.

Then again, if you plan to buy a bunch of packs, it's defniately more cost effective to just get a SEALED box on Ebay. Not only is it cheaper to do it that way, but you get more out of a box than single packs off the racks (the cardboard backings with a pack sealed around it) at Target for example...

Look at the seller's feedback. Unless it is impeccible, I wouldnt buy single packs online like that. It sure looks fishy to have pin***** holes in the packs. I have purchased loose packs from one seller (maybe 2) on eBay. The seller I recall was from Mississippi, sold loose packs in close to box size (like 30 packs) and had good feedback. The packs were very fair and I pulled 2 * and a few Transcievers (DS packs obv.)

Keith

Bottom line, its a bad idea to buy loose boosters on eBay. I would only buy sealed boxes if that. Theres a difference because if you buy them in a store or local card shop there is some accountability factor for what they are selling.

Digs out a box of old stock . Pin holes present in all my TRR. These are international packs though.

The pin holes are very evenly spaced and are probably there to avoid the packs inflating when shipped in an airplane cargo hold.

Checks a couple of other boxes: Holon Phantoms and Mysterious Treasures have the pin holes too, and I'm reasonably sure that these aren't specifically international stock.

Thanks for the update re pinholes.

Finding a dealer that stocks current pokemon boxes let alone historical ones is a a tough enough experience in Ireland but the kids really wanted to get some FRLG for a chance at an Ex and what Dad can refuse that :rolleyes:

I can almost accept ebay sellers weighing their items and selling on the lighter ones but if you check out the bottom of each pack it has been pretty mangled and whilst the central strip down the middle of the back of each booster appeared untampered with, you can easily prise back the central strip from the pack and there is a hole in each one where not only could you peek in, but you could even get your pinkie in if you wanted.

I would have been happier if the seller at least went to the trouble of making a decent effort at resealing :mad:

Also notable that whilst the items were paid for at the end of Oct they only arrived yesterday (normally takes two days to ship from UK to Ireland) and the seller has yet to leave feedback despite the fact that I paid within minutes of the auction end.

Lesson learned I guess

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I don't buy loose packs from anyone (except maybe a store that's hosting a tournament, as a way of showing my support for the store).

I know too many people who own those scales - you know, the ones where you can weigh packs of cards and figure out which ones have Ex's in them (not sure if that trick still works).

all i want to know is what the ***** before holes is supposed to be.

Heh, same here...

I've had a similar experience when buying Sandstorm booster packs on Ebay a long time ago. My brother and I pitched in quite a bit of money on what turned out to be something like a box worth of packs (it might have been 32 packs or something). We didn't get a single ex out of all of that. The only good thing to come out of it was a couple of Rare Candy, though it sure wasn't enough to make up for pulling such low stuff (very few Rare Holos in all of that as well if I remember correctly).

It truly disturbs me that people would be so manipulative with such things. :frown:

I've seen packs with the pin*****s in them. Never gave it much thought, other than it keeps me from exploding the packs open.

Sometimes, when I'm eating a *****ly pear, I hear funny sounds, making me ***** up my ears. Odd.

Thanks for the update re pinholes.

Though in general, those 'pinholes' should not be appearing, they are not abnormal, either. In a nutshell, there's a guide roller that pulls the strings of boosters down the line for cutting and sealing. If the rollers are set too 'stiff' they'll leave more noticable little gripper holes.

Prof. Dave

I would also note that the pinholes would be worthless for peeking at the contents.
Aside from being too small, they also would only look at the card at the back. And the "good" cards is never there. Its always three cards in from the back.

Anyway, I also recommend only buying sealed boxes online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back