Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

quick BR writeup (lux is great :D)

Black Mamba

So i get there early to help set up, then hang around while people start showing up. I get nervous that my friend who was going to lend me 2 lux wasn't coming, so I traded for two of them myself. Soon as I'm done with that, he shows up. >_> Whatever. My pokemon line:

4-2-4 lux all LA
2-2 claydol
2 rayquaza (so much better than vire)
1 chatot

eventually the pairings go up...

R1 Vs. Froslass/Bronzong

I feel pretty meh going into this matchup, but my starting hand is pretty good. I get set up faster than he does, and take a prize or two. Then he makes the fatal mistake of leveling up his Cresselia. I warp pointed that, and mopped the rest of the stuff up with Plasma.

1-0

R2 Vs. TurnCruel w/ Amphy

He gets a quick Lanturn out, but can only spread 30 once before I get out my Lux and KO it. He responds with an amp, but doesn't do enough to finish off the Lux, which takes that down as well. After that, his draw is going pretty slow, and I manage to take out enough basics to finish it.

2-0

R3 Vs. Eevees

I'm not really that afraid of this matchup, but I play it safe anyways. I mimic with Chatot early and sac it to his Leafeon, which I then KO with a Lux. It pretty much went that way with the rest of his evos, with him missing a crucial paralyze flip with Jolteon that let me seal the deal.

3-0

R4 Vs. Magnezone (Crosplat)

I have to admit, beforehand, I thought this was a pretty lamesauce deck that couldn't put up that big of a fight against lux. Boy, was I proven wrong. This match was intense, with him going through 2 Zone Lv.X's and me going through 3 or 4 Luxrays throughout the course of the match. I even got to Sky Judgment with Rayquaza for a prize! It was a very close game, but in the end I pulled it out a minute or two before time.

4-0

So I'm top cut 1st seed, I see I'm playing AMU and feel pretty happy.

T4 Vs. AMU w/ Gardevoir

Game 1

I just pulled a RIDICULOUS hand this game, with something like a Luxray and 2 PP to kill his opening basic T2. After that, he couldn't really recover. 1-0

Game 2

Almost the exact opposite of the 1st game. I can't pull out ANYTHING, and by the time I actually do get a Luxray up and running, he is able to have god blast ready to take me out. I scoop in favor of time. 1-1

Game 3

We both get reasonable starts this time, and I try to apply the pressure as early as possible. I take a couple prizes early, but he comes back with Azelf Lv.X to take out a Luxio on my bench. I get another Lux up and running, though, and I'm able to finish him off. 2-1

5-0

T2 Vs. Magnezone AGAIN (Crosplat)

Game 1

I start with Rayquaza, of course. This game goes terribly for me, I miss almost every speed gain flip, and when he cyber shocks my Luxray, I don't have a response to it. I think I scoop late this game.

Game 2

He can't seem to get anything set up, and while my start wasn't amazing, I was able to get somewhat running while he sat there with nothing. He scooped pretty early in this one.

Game 3

So it came down to this. We exchanged blows a lot in this game, similar to our game in the 4th round. After going back and forth back and forth down to I believe 2 prizes each, his only Pokemon in play is a clean Magnezone Lv.X with 3 sp metals on it. I have a shinx with 3 energies on it and a Luxray in my hand, and like 2 claydol's on the bench. After much milling, I'm able to pull out the candy and 2 PP's for the win. Great games!

6-0

So there's my little story, showing Luxray does well when it's not bogged down by unnecessary Pokemon lines.

Props:
a new victory medal!
Luxray
using Sky Judgment
JP for winning juniors
FINALLY getting a Honchkrow Lv.X

Slops:
Pulling TWO Magnezone Lv.X's out of my packs and my mom's judging/helping packs. o_o
David for getting 4th in juniors :(
being really hungry!

Danny

Last edited:
I'll gladly take one of those troublesome Magnezone lv.Xs off of you ;P

Good job with Luxray. I love the card too. I thought the Rayquaza in your list was interesting. How do you plan to get the energy off of it? Energy Switch? I'm seeing a lot of that right now. Either running Energy Pickup for the instant charge or Energy Switch for the more reliable, yet not as quick energy charge. I run Energy Pickup myself, but I guess it just comes down to preference.

Good job!

I'll gladly take one of those troublesome Magnezone lv.Xs off of you ;P

Good job with Luxray. I love the card too. I thought the Rayquaza in your list was interesting. How do you plan to get the energy off of it? Energy Switch? I'm seeing a lot of that right now. Either running Energy Pickup for the instant charge or Energy Switch for the more reliable, yet not as quick energy charge. I run Energy Pickup myself, but I guess it just comes down to preference.

Good job!

Yeah, I was using 4 energy switch in my list. I like them more than pickup because they will ALWAYS move the energy when you need it, because even though ray's power is on a flip, you can save them on the bench until the time comes.

Good job Danny, it seems that Luxray seems to be working for you.

seemingly :lol: thanks cam

Congrats!

I guess you did prove that Luxray works better off without those unnecessary lines.
I didn't use it for BR as my list was, well, shaky. :p
Maybe I'll switch mine to one that's similar to yours.

Grats again.:thumb:

I always have a great time playing against you, and this time wasn't any different. Luxray is death to Magnezone, and I cringed when I had to play you again. All the credit to this deck goes to G-dog4377. He was nice enough to drop it off on Friday night, otherwise I would have played groudonk!

Congrats on the win, you definitely earned it!

Back