Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Quick Question on Unowns

Murkrow

The old Unown cards (e.g. from the old Neo sets) had the "you can only play 4 Unowns total" (or whatever) text on them. As far as I know, the new Unowns don't. Is this still true?

Thanks in advance~

Thanks for replying. I wish I had posted this in the ask-the-professors forum, I think this more appropriately belongs there (if anyone could move it, I'd be grateful).

As an offshoot of the same question, how does backwards compatibility work? (Assuming you're playing Unlimited, not Modified). Are the Neo Discovery-Destiny Unowns still limited to 4 by their text, or has that been errata'd? If you play 4 Unown A from Neo Discovery, can you play any other Unowns?

Yes, you can play other Unowns because there name is different. In the new format, the Unowns form has been included in the name of the Unown. This way you can play with a deck full of Unowns.

Oh, thanks for your help. I also Googled it (probably should've done that first) and found the DP rule changes:

Unown Pokémon
Beginning with the Diamond & Pearl expansion, Unown cards use Unown A, Unown B, etc., as Pokémon
names, allowing players to use up to 4 of each in a deck. Older Unown cards are unaffected by this
change, so those cards are still restricted by the 4‐per‐deck rule, regardless of which version of Unown
they are. (For example, a player’s deck may contain 4 older Unown, 4 Unown A, and 4 Unown B.) If a
card refers to “an Unown card,” it refers to any Unown, regardless of name.

So I guess that means you could technically have "8" Unown A (4 old + 4 new) in your deck. Cool, good to know.

Back