Quick Question on Unowns

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Murkrow, Apr 30, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Murkrow

Murkrow New Member

The old Unown cards (e.g. from the old Neo sets) had the "you can only play 4 Unowns total" (or whatever) text on them. As far as I know, the new Unowns don't. Is this still true?

Thanks in advance~

2. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

Yes, you can have 4 of each letter. Treated as different pokémon.

3. Murkrow

Murkrow New Member

Thanks for replying. I wish I had posted this in the ask-the-professors forum, I think this more appropriately belongs there (if anyone could move it, I'd be grateful).

As an offshoot of the same question, how does backwards compatibility work? (Assuming you're playing Unlimited, not Modified). Are the Neo Discovery-Destiny Unowns still limited to 4 by their text, or has that been errata'd? If you play 4 Unown A from Neo Discovery, can you play any other Unowns?

4. afstandopleren

afstandopleren New Member

Yes, you can play other Unowns because there name is different. In the new format, the Unowns form has been included in the name of the Unown. This way you can play with a deck full of Unowns.

5. Murkrow

Murkrow New Member

Oh, thanks for your help. I also Googled it (probably should've done that first) and found the DP rule changes:

So I guess that means you could technically have "8" Unown A (4 old + 4 new) in your deck. Cool, good to know.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore New Member

You could have 4 of EACH new Unown AND 4 of the old ones in your deck if you wanted.