Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

R&S attendance

ScythKing

Just wondering since I saw no reports - how was the attendance at this past weekend's R&S events? Any problems? Successes? Anything??!!

DaytonGymLeader said:
Columbus, OH - 10 (5 15+, 4 11-14, 1 10-)
Monroeville, PA - 8 (3 15+, 3 11-14, 2 10-)
Oooooooo :eek: that's horrible!
Gosh I'll be disappointed if I get that few... any theories on why so few?

Last edited:
WOW it must of been cool at the PA tornament only eight people that means every got top eighth :), I wonder how many will come to the IL tournament according to ILC's post about 8 people are coming maybe more cause some people don't post and stuff. :)

Last edited:
John, my son and I are coming this Sat. So you have 2 who are driving 8 hours :( but are looking forward to a good time :). I'm sure the gameboy format ins't going over too well with the TGC players. Plus, origins, gen con, comic con, school starting, Nintendo maybe should'nt have tried to get this out so quick, and at this level. Some smaller tournaments, spread out more, and in oct. would've been better. Of course, it'e easy to say that now...... :eek:

Rocketman said:
John, my son and I are coming this Sat. So you have 2 who are driving 8 hours :( but are looking forward to a good time :). I'm sure the gameboy format ins't going over too well with the TGC players. Plus, origins, gen con, comic con, school starting, Nintendo maybe should'nt have tried to get this out so quick, and at this level. Some smaller tournaments, spread out more, and in oct. would've been better. Of course, it'e easy to say that now...... :eek:

I think they just wanted to put on a face saying "we're in charge now - things are in hand and going as planned". I've already heard the uninformed saying that Pokemon is dead (again!). Look on eBay - some sellers are already trying to make out like Pokemon is no longer being produced so collect them while you can! They're trying to head all that garbage off at the pass by having a presence in very public places.
We'll be happy to have you. I'm kinda anxious to see what kinda turnout we have - I'm going to try my best to make it fun for the younger players. Do you have a place lined up to stay at yet?
I have a pathetic web page accessable from the PUSA event listing that has a link to the Chattanooga Convention Center and they in turn have a link to the local hotels and such. Try for a place on the fringes of town - you'll still be minutes away and the price is cheaper. As a matter of fact - they are having a card convention with sports cards, yugioh, and pokemon at the comfort inn convention center on I-75 exit 1 that weekend - you could stay there and maybe look at cards after.
I also recommend the Tennessee Aquarium - they have a way cool seahorse exhibit right now. We'll chat when you get here. My cell phone is also listed on the web page if you need to call for directions or such.

At the tournament in San Diego, I think there were about 30-40 people, which was a low turnout according to the judges. But, they said that the Sandstorm pre-release was expected to have a much greater amount.

San Diego (8.9.03) had 21 (2, 3, and 16) and Las Vegas (8.16.03) had 14 (1, 6, and 7). Everything ran smoothly (hard not to with so few players)--all the players enjoyed the GBA rounds. We had a Gamecube and TV set up so that feature matches could be watched by all; this was great and added a lot of excitement to the event. Here's hoping that everyone's events the next two weeks will have greater attendance.

Karl F. Batdorff
PT&E

ScythKing said:
Oooooooo :eek: that's horrible!
Gosh I'll be disappointed if I get that few... any theories on why so few?

1. Lack of advertising on Nintendo's part.
2. VERY aggressive schedule. OP hasn't fully concluded with WotC yet.
3. General malaise on the part of our community because quite a few players don't want to play in this format because they don't want to play the Gameboy. There's nothing wrong with that, but if they'd show up, we'd run side events for them without question.

The extra prizes that were sent to you buy Nintendo do they make the TO mail them back to them? or do they let the TO keep them to be used in another tournemant?

Thanks for the heads up, John, I will look into that. Yes, I can see why they wanted to put on a "face", but on a smaller level and more spread out so more will be exposed. Pokemon isn't dead, but we need to get it sparked up a little so that it dosen't. I am making headway into the yu gi crowd, I point out how only 2 decks are worth playing, all the decks are no more than 6 cards apart, and introduce pokemon ( or re- introduce for the former players), and a lot of them like it. I have taken the free stuff that MTM gave us and purposely run the pokemon tournaments before yu gi oh so the yu gi players see what great stuff the pokemon players can win, I'm sure you all know what patheic prizes yu gi has. ( wow, a tournament pack, almost as good as that promo buster blader!) :lol:

DaytonGymLeader said:
Columbus, OH - 10 (5 15+, 4 11-14, 1 10-)
Monroeville, PA - 8 (3 15+, 3 11-14, 2 10-)

:( Sorry to hear about your low turnout, I know that you have worked hard to promot the R&S Challenges. I wish you players of plenty at your Sandstrom tournaments :D :clap:

DaytonGymLeader said:
3. General malaise on the part of our community because quite a few players don't want to play in this format because they don't want to play the Gameboy. There's nothing wrong with that, but if they'd show up, we'd run side events for them without question.
I'm in a 100% agreement with those items. Somebody said there was supposed to be ads on Sat morning cartoons but I haven't seen 'em. I glommed onto the EON guys and was handing out leaflets at that event. It was easier than getting the store manager to let me put them in the store. Those TRUs guys are tuff - they won't let you do squat.
so we'll see.
Item 3: The biggest reason item I've heard not to show is the rats-a-fratzin GBA part of the tourney! I've tried to get the word out there will be a draft if we have enough. But experienced players just don't wanna have any part of it.

Does anyone know what the Raleigh, NC got for their R&S attendance? They are the only one out of the 5 that have happen that have not reported in yet. I was just wondering.

Lol

LOL;) about that NC Challenge. WELLLLLLL... I live here and here is the story as far as I know. Games Galore (The place that TO'd all the Gym Challenges here and was supposed to (Acording to Nintendo's Website)) Said they were not going to have the RS Challenge after all and made it sound like they never had any intention of doing it. Then a couple of days ago our Local Master Professor E-mailed around and said they were going to do it after all, on this comming Saturday, the 23'd but it's Tuesday and he said that they still haven't finalised the details yet so I don't know if there will be one or not, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be on but it's up in the air as far as I can tell. If they do have it the tournout will probably be low as I know out of the 20-30 or so people that attend our league only two (including me are planning to attend.

In a state of Hopefullness, Flipping Out
--FlipsAreCool :lol:

As mentioned above by FlipsAreCool the original date (8/16) was changed when I contacted the store owner and he said he didn't know anything about it. I then contacted Nintendo and was told the date was changed to 8/24. Right now I don't expect much of a turnout considering it is Tues night and I still have to not heard from the owner on what time registration will start (ha may still be waiting to hear from Nintendo). I plan on posting the event info once I do hear...hopefully by tomorrow. I will post results out here next week if the event does take place this Sunday.

DaytonGymLeader said:

Bingo!

Especially #3...I think that Dave,Jimmer and Susan are starting to see what we told them at Origins about the Gameboy part...we weren`t joking when we said few TCG`ers would be interested...If you want to include the gameboy,keep it separate or the people won`t show.

`Sensei

Sensei said:
Bingo!

Especially #3...I think that Dave,Jimmer and Susan are starting to see what we told them at Origins about the Gameboy part...we weren`t joking when we said few TCG`ers would be interested...If you want to include the gameboy,keep it separate or the people won`t show.

`Sensei

Yeah no kidding this wasn't the smartest move by Nintendo IMO, they should have done a whole lot more advertising. There are A LOT that play the Gameboy for sure, i mean my local Wal-Mart sells them like crazy around here. The way they organized this just is not going to work and they should have had a side event for TCG only.

Everyone is eager to get the TCG rolling though, we all want our Format, information, advertising, and we are sure having to wait IMO an ureasonable amount of time. October is too late to announce the format and tournament schedule, they need to start something now. Some kind of tournament structure. They have had all this time.

Anyway its just all my opinion so yeah.

"Everyone is eager to get the TCG rolling though, we all want our Format, information, advertising, and we are sure having to wait IMO an ureasonable amount of time. October is too late to announce the format and tournament schedule, they need to start something now. Some kind of tournament structure. They have had all this time."

What people are forgetting though: perhaps PUI has not been FREE to announce everything they want to, when they want to...while we're still in the 'no-man's land' while both WotC and PUI are running OP?

Come on people, be fair...and patient. It's NOT 'all this time'...WotC/DCI still have involvement in the game till at least the end of this month (when DCI sanctioning ends) or next (when the DCI rankings for the Pokémon TCG come down).

We don't know EVERYTHING that's going on, to be sure...but for god's sake, let's give PUI the benefit of the doubt. They're trying to get an awful lot of stuff rolling all at once...OP, League, prereleases, professor program, etc etc etc...and I for one don't envy them a BIT. Can we please show a little understanding and patience and WAIT instead of criticizing and demanding everything NOWNOWNOW?

JMHO,
'mom

Last edited:
Believe me, that thought is always paramount. Nintendo has several staunch advocates here and on other boards. However, I tend to call things as I see them. NDAs are the norm. We all know there's much that can't be talked about. Personally, I'm in favor of an aggressive OP schedule. However, it has to be balanced. I think that's where the rub is, in the balance. I seriously understand that Nintendo probably cannot advertise their own OP right now because WotC is still in OP until 1 October at latest. I'm not on the bandwagon for nownownow, I'm merely offering my opinion. If that's a lightning rod, so be it - that is the best type of stimulant for the ideas to flow.

I've also been in Nintendo's shoes on getting things done in exceedingly compressed time lines with minimal support and contractual obligations NOT to do things in the most efficent and expedient manner (those of you in government service can really speak to this). I don't envy them either, but they do have my support and sympathies. I have quite a bit of faith in them as the new stewards of the game.

Back