Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Racine, WI BR Report

Pooka

Master Trainer
Since I started college, I haven't been able to play a whole lot. Combine that with the fact that I have barely any cards, and you get this!

Pokemon 22

3 Chingling
1 Chimecho
1 Holon's Castform
3 Chikorita d
2 Bayleef
3 Meganium d
3 Totodile
1 Croconaw
3 Feraligatr d
1 Feebas d
1 Milotic d

Trainers 24

4 Holon Mentor
4 Celio's Network
4 Rare Candy
2 Windstorm
2 Lake Boundary
2 Warp Point
2 TV Reporter
2 Copycat
1 Scott
1 Night Maintenance

Energy 14

4 d Rainbow
3 Scramble
3 Double Rainbow
2 Fighting
2 Lightning

Seeing how Empoleon and Lucario have been dominating the tournaments around here, I figured Meganium d wouldn't be bad. Feraligatr d seemed like a worthy partner, so there we go. Oh, and Milotic d is to compensate for the fact that I'm horrible at RPS.

After I got there, I had to bum cards off Christian and Abe (thanks guys!). For a BR, it wasn't too bad of a turnout (13 in Masters). Of course, it's always nice to see all the familiar faces again. But hey, enough of this; let's get it started!

Round 1 - Blissey/Delcatty (Jonathan B.)

At the beginning of the game he can't really contain his excitement for his new deck, so I get to figure out what he's playing right away. Unfortunately, I find out he's playing Blissey, that fat pink... ahem. While I start out with a Totodile, he opens with Chansey. I go first, attach, and do 10; he attaches a Holon FF and passes (ugh, Holon FF ruins my Lake Boundary plan :(). After I Mentor, I grab a Supporter with Chingling and pass, and Chingling gets immediately KO'd by a quick Blissey. I send out Totodile to buy time and do 10 again. When he KO's Totodile, the war begins.

I get my first Meganium into play, and I hit him with Delta Reduction, putting him at 60. At this point I assume I'll be taking minimal damage because of Delta Reduction, but a Boost and a few PlusPowers make me quickly change my mind. Anyway, I get a Gatr d into play, Windstorm away his Buffer Piece, and Mega Impact for 70 and the KO. At this point it occurs to me that I will be trading Pokemon back and forth, but I have a feeling I can pull it out. A few dead Blisseys, Meganiums, and Feraligatrs later, we're tied at two prizes each. Finally he gets his Delcatty ex into play, and he confidently promotes it to do 160 damage to my active Meganium d. Unfortunately he overlooked the fact that I had a Meganium on the bench with a Scramble attached, so I KO'd Delcatty ex to win it... Close game, though!

1-0

Round 2 - Dusclops/Lucario (chriscobi634)

Although we both knew what each other were playing, I felt like I had an advantage with Meganium d. After all, Delta Reduction blocks his bench damage strategy pretty effectively. Looking at my hand, I could see this would probably go well for me. Going first, I attach a d Rainbow to Totodile and do 10 to his Riolu. He Castaways for a Buffer, Fighting, and a Celio, but to my relief, he doesn't attach the Buffer. Because of this, I pull T2 Gatr d/DRE to KO his Riolu, setting him back big time. The turning point in the game was a few turns later when he had a Lucario Lv X with 30 damage on it. After attaching a Cessation to it, he played a Wager, and I lost (as usual). If I got a Windstorm, I could do 80 with Gatr to KO him (I had two Feraligatr in play); otherwise, it would be a closer game. Fortunately, I drew a Copycat off of my three cards, and I got a Windstorm off my seven cards. From here it was all pretty much downhill. A Warp Point at the end sealed it for me.

2-0

Round 3 - Garchomp/Delcatty/Magneton (Fantine)

Earlier I had found out what Ashley was playing, and so I knew what to expect. Since she didn't run any sort of Energy manipulation, I knew I could Drag Off her Garchomp before it was powered up to set it up for a KO... and that's basically what happened. Because Garchomp takes three turns to power up, she was always a little bit behind me. To make it worse, my start was much better than hers, so this wasn't a very close game. My deck just has the advantage IMO.

3-0

Round 4 - Exeggutor/Celebi/Manectric/Magneton (Paul M.)

Without a doubt, this was a horrible hand. I opened with Chingling, three other Basics, two Windstorm, and a Lake Boundary. Fantastic. On the other hand, he lead off with Exeggcute, and he hit Heads to do 10 damage. After grabbing a Celio, he KO'd me with Exeggutor. At this point, my hand was atrocious, but I had to try to make something happen. I sent out Chikorita, drew my card, and fortunately drew an Energy. So, I Celio for Bayleef, then grab Meganium with Evolution Impulse. Now I just have to hope he doesn't get 3/4 Heads with Exeggutor... Heads, Tails, Heads... Tails! Whew. At this point I'm fairly certain I can win now that I can get some evolutions. I play Meganium and grab Milotic d, Croconaw, and Bayleef. Via Sharing I use his Rival, and he picks Warp Point x2 and Lightning for me to keep. Next I use Croconaw's Power, and I snag a Scramble! Warp Point, Scramble on Milotic, and Lake Boundary = gg. Sorry, Paul!

4-0

The top cut looks like this.

1. Kyle/Pooka (Mega/Gatr)
2. Ashley/Fantine (Garchomp)
3. Paul M. (Exeggutor)
4. Mary M. (Metagross ex)

Top 4 - Metagross ex (Mary M.)

Game One: Well, Mary was new to the game, so she ran as simple of a deck as she could... straight Metagross ex. Unfortunately for her, I ran both Fighting and Fire Pokemon (both of her Weaknesses). As you can imagine, this wasn't much of a contest. Meganium d made short work of all her Pokemon. Not a whole lot to say.

Game Two: This was more of the same thing, except this time Milotic d got to have some fun. Fire Weakness on all of her Pokemon = OHKOs on everything. Overall, it was just a bad matchup for Mary; there was nothing she could do.

5-0

Finals - Garchomp/Delcatty/Magneton (Fantine)

Game One: Again, Garchomp is too slow to keep up with my deck. This game was very similar to our first one, with me having the lead for the whole game. Early Drag Offs messed with her setup, and it was too easy to set up stuff for KOs. Quickly Ashley got very far behind, and there wasn't a whole lot she could do. Just a bad matchup IMO.

Game Two: All right, this was easily my worst hand of the day. I started with Holon's Castform, d Rainbow, Scramble, Windstorm x2, Night Maintenance, and Lake Boundary lol. Fortunately I ripped a Chingling, so I started to setup a little bit. Still, it was pretty evident that she was going to jump out ahead of me this game. To make matters worse, my Feebas was prized, so it would be a lot tougher to catch up without Milotic. I was behind for a lot of the game, but I was always 10 damage short it seemed - mostly because I couldn't draw a Rare Candy to save my life. If I had gotten a second Gatr into play, everything would have been just fine. Sadly I was unable to do so, and it looked pretty bad. But I kept it close and fought this one down to the wire. Just as she had knocked something out, time was called, and she still had a prize left... so I won on time. Pretty lame way to win, but actually I drew a Rare Candy, and I would have been able to KO her Garchomp, leaving her with only a Magneton and Delcatty in play. From there, who knows what could've happened? I feel bad for winning on time, but there's no way I'm going to concede when I know I can win. Oh well; sorry, Ashley! I really wanted to play that out.

6-0

So there you have it, my first BR win of the season. It was a fun time. Hope you guys enjoyed it, and see you at Cities!

nice job kyle, it was a gg vs. me. probably the hardest even though i only took 2 prizes, but if you hadn't ripped the Copycat and then the windstorm I think it would been a much more exciting game. anyway, great job, care on going to manitowoc's BR in a couple of weeks?

chriscobi634: Yeah, it would've been closer if that hadn't happened, but oh well. I probably won't be able to go to Manitowoc, especially because it's only a BR.

Thanks everyone!

I find it amazing that 4/5 of our battles were within 2 weeks and you've beat me at all of them. You should go to Manitowoc. Congratulations Kyle!

Back