Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Random Unnamed Format Counter Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Politoed EX

This is a random deck that I think could do semi-well in this format. I've had limited testing, but I'll update when I have more. Also, looking at a list MadHatter posted earlier inspired this.

The List:

POKEMON (24)

3 Stantler SW
2 Mew SW
2 Uxie MT
2 Mesprit MT
2 Azelf MT
2 Misdreavus DP
2 Mismagius DP
2 Spoink CG
2 Grumpig CG
2 Slowpoke GE
2 Slowking GE
1 Slowbro GE

TRAINERS (20)

2 Holon Mentor
3 Prof. Oak's Visit
2 Scott
3 Lake Boundary
3 Celio's Network
2 TGW
2 Windstorm
1 Prof. Rowan
1 Warp Point
1 Night Maintenance

ENERGY (16)

10 Psychic
3 Scramble
3 DRE

Pokemon Analysis

Stantler
displayimage.php

Used as primarily a starter, though starting with (almost) anything else isnt a bad start either. Basically used to Lead for a Mentor for you can T2 Merspirt/Azelf/Uxie - or for anything else you need, depending on the match-up. Also used for T2 20/Confusion if necissary - also used against decks w/Psychic resistance.

Mew
displayimage.php

Also, not to bad of a start, but primarily used for its "Re-creation" attack - which comes in handy a lot more than you'd think.

Uxie
displayimage.php

Uxie's power is fantastic, and can win games. One of the big reasons I play Mesprit/Azelf/Uxie. Also, it's attack is fantastic, 30/Sleep for 1 nrg.

Mesprit
displayimage.php

Good body, giving all of your Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf free retreat.

Azelf
displayimage.php

Used for it's Body, which can slow down your opponent, and also could help power up Mismagius's attack. Its attack isnt bad either, doing 40 against Gardevoir/Gallade and not allowing them to attach a special energy during their next turn.

Mismagius
displayimage.php

Is GREAT against GG. You should be guarenteed to OHKO anything in GG w/ Lake Boundary out. Does well against other Pokemon that require 2-3+ nrg to attack. Also has a pretty good weakness.

Grumpig
displayimage.php

Helps a bit against Magmortar/Gatr decks, and is a good type, usually can OHKO a Gardevoir or a Gallade. Its attack works nicely since you should almost always have a large bench.

Slowking
displayimage.php

Everything in the deck has low HP, so it's power should be helpful.

Slowbro
displayimage.php

IMO, this is a great tech. It can OHKO a Magmortar w/ Lake Boundary in play, and Amnesia is good against a lot of decks - it can get rid of Gardevoir's only attack, and get rid of Gallades Psychic Cut if needed to.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Matchups/Explainations

Gardevoir/Gallade 60-40
Shouldnt be to hard of a matchup, try to get a quick Mismagius + Lake Boundary out and you should be able to get a couple of KOs, have another ready on the bench and possible a Grumpig and you should be set. Mew also helps in the matchup after they get a gardy or gallade in the discard pile. Also can use Slowbro, if needed.

Magmortar 60-40
A little harder of a matchup than GG, but shouldnt be to hard either. Use Grumpig for the reduced fire damage, and use Slowbro to get OHKO(s) of Mag. Mismagius could also help slightly in this matchup if your opponent gets out a loaded Magmortar.

Hurricane 40-60 or 30-70
This is by far the hardest match-up for the deck. You dont have anything to stop their powers or to slow them down. Only thing you've really got on them is Grumpig, which reduces their water damage by 30. You also could try to Amnesia Energy Cyclone, but they can still 2HKO you with Gatrs secound attack.
Best way to play this one is pray for your opponent to have miserable luck or to sit back and take it like a man.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

all questions/comments/suggestions are welcome... and if anyone could think of a name I could call this, it would be appreciated xD

Last edited:
I can tell you now Magmortar will be 50/50, unless you run energy switch there is no need for Mew SW..
All your "main" attackers beside Uxie need 3 energy to attack, thats a lot of energy, idk maybe find something for 2 energy, and IMO just take out Mew SW or at least 1 Mew SW for a Mew* to help with Magmortar matchup

I can tell you now Magmortar will be 50/50, unless you run energy switch there is no need for Mew SW..
All your "main" attackers beside Uxie need 3 energy to attack, thats a lot of energy, idk maybe find something for 2 energy, and IMO just take out Mew SW or at least 1 Mew SW for a Mew* to help with Magmortar matchup

I'll definatley try the Mew* - but thinking about it, i dont see how it would help to much, especially against mortar, which attack would you mimicry? and to do signifigant damage with Mew*, you'd usually need 3 nrg attached anyway

I do agree though about the Mew SW, I played a few more matches against GG and the Mew isnt as helpful as originally thought. just to slow, 3 nrg w/o the ability to use Scramble or DRE on it

thanks for the imput

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back