Rare Candy, and first turn Evo

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Drybones0, Dec 25, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Drybones0

Drybones0 New Member

I was going over my decks today and I came across my rare candies and thought about first turn evolution.

If you play a basic pokemon can you use rare candy to evolve it that turn?

Seems like a no brainer but the card says "This counts as evolving" and the rule book does say You may not evolve a pokemon on the first turn it is played.

The main reason I ask is because a player could not use Pokemon Breeder to evolve a pokemon on the first turn and they (rare candy and Breeder) are more or less the same card.

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

When the rule book talks about limits on evolving, it means evolving by normal means.
    When you use an effect, such as Rare Candy, you are not limited by those timing rules.
    As long as you can play a Trainer, you can evolve a Basic Pokemon using Rare Candy.

Pokemon Breeder, while it does some of the same things as Rare Candy, is not "more or less the same card".
    Breeder only allows you to go from Basic to Stage 2. RC allows Basic to Stage 1 or Stage 2.
    More importantly, Breeder has text on it that says you can only use it to evolve a Pokemon that could evolve normally. This limits it from being used on a just played Pokemon or on the first turn (of the second player), RC has no such limitation.