Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Re: Feint Attack Ruling

Mr. Grass

Here's the latest ruling:

2.> Feint Attack says that its damage isn't affected by those things. What this means is that the amount of damage being done is not reduced nor increased. Agility "prevents all effects including damage", so in this situation Agility would override Feint Attack. This is a very good question, and I will put it on the list for future inclusion.

And here's what I could find in the Compendium:

Q. Would Misty's Stayu's (the one that does damage regardless of Weakness/Resistance/Pokémon Powers/effects of attack) do damage to a Raichu/Rapidsah/Seadra/Fearow/Blaine's Ponyta that got a heads on Agility? Cause Agility says prevent all effects of attacks, and the game text of the Staryu's attack IS an effect.
A. Yes it would still do damage, it ignores the effect from the Agility as stated on the card. (August 17, 2000 WotC Chat Q165)

So I take it this new ruling is reversing the old one?

Q. If Shiftry uses "Feint Attack" against a Pokemon that successfully used "Agility" the previous turn, would Agility prevent the Feint Attack or not?

A. No, the Feint Attack ignores any effects on the Defending Pokemon, including Agility, Wonder Guard, etc. (Jan 8, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

It looks like the latest PUI Team Meeting is in conflict with the ruling from Chrisbo on "Ask the Masters."

Last edited:
Mr Grass, please can you post a link to the text that you quoted for Feint Attack having changed. I wasn't aware that it had but I don't visit the Ask The Masters forum much.

Once an attack has started nothing prevents a Feint Attack. Smokescreen and the Baby Rule were both able to prevent a Feint Attack from starting.

Both rulings seem to be in favor of Swift/Feint Atack working against Agility. While I am not sure I completey agree with that (the 2 effects of the attacks contradict each other) Swift/Feint Attack always win out. Same as against Shedinja and Lily Pad Mew. Even though they are evos, these attacks ignore there powers and plow through them...

We discussed Chris's post in the meeting and went with the ruling that Feint gets past Agility.
Chris needs to edit his post.

For those who play the GBA game, attacks like Feint Attack (Aerial Ace) get past Agility-like affects(Evasiveness). So, if the TCG mirrors the GBA game, Feint Attack ignores Agility.

Now, regarding Smokescreen, that's an effect that resides on the attacked, active Pokemon. So, Feint Attack DOESN'T ignore the Smokescreen effect (and you have to flip to attack).

Last edited:
Nothing was reversed. PUI ruled it the same way WotC did. Here are the rulings (I'll correct Chris' post in Ask the Masters too)

== FEINT ATTACK (Murkrow - Neo:Genesis, Umbreon - Neo:Discovery, Houndour - Aquapolis, Shiftry - EX:Sandstorm)

Q. If Shiftry uses "Feint Attack" against Whiscash with "Submerge" Poke-Body on the bench, which one prevails? The attack or the Poke-Body?
A. Feint Attack ignores ANY effect on that Pokemon which attempts to prevent its damage; the attack itself specifically states that the attack's damage isn't affected by Poke-Powers and Poke-Bodies (and other things as well). (Jan 8, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. If Shiftry uses "Feint Attack" against a Pokemon that successfully used "Agility" the previous turn, would Agility prevent the Feint Attack or not?
A. No, the Feint Attack ignores any effects on the Defending Pokemon, including Agility, Wonder Guard, etc. (Jan 8, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. If Shiftry uses "Feint Attack" against a Pokemon that used "Smokescreen" the previous turn, would it have to flip for Smokescreen or not?
A. Yes it would have to flip. The effect of Smokescreen lies on the Shiftry, and Feint Attack only ignores effects on the DEFENDING Pokemon. (Jan 8, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Does "Feint Attack" allow you to ignore the Baby Rule?
A. No, the Baby Rule is not an "effect" on the Defending Pokemon. It is a game rule. (Jan 8, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

BDS

Last edited:
Adv1sor said:
It looks like the latest PUI Team Meeting is in conflict with the ruling from Chrisbo on "Ask the Masters."
Yeah, we discussed a bunch of permutations on Feint Attack, and I guess I was wrrr.... ahem, I was wrrrrr..... cough, I was not entirely correct :p. Guess I'm almost human after all. ;)

Thanks to BDS for fixing my post in the ATM forum. I would've gotten around to it sooner or later (prolly later :D ).

Enjoy,
- CHRISBO

Q. If Shiftry uses "Feint Attack" against Whiscash with "Submerge" Poke-Body on the bench, which one prevails? The attack or the Poke-Body?
A. Feint Attack ignores ANY effect on that Pokemon which attempts to prevent its damage; the attack itself specifically states that the attack's damage isn't affected by Poke-Powers and Poke-Bodies (and other things as well). (Jan 8, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

hey they didnt state defending pokemon lol

Back