Red screens and Blue screens of death?

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by atomant, Feb 28, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. atomant

atomant New Member

In Windows terminology; what is a BSOD (Blue screen of death) indicate? But more importantly what does a RSOD mean (Red screen of death)?

Two computers in our computer lab were just affect with this and that's what I keep hearing all day. I would like to know what causes this.

2. DukeFireBird

DukeFireBird Gallery Administrator<br>Forum Moderator

a BSOD is an illegal operation, usually nothing wrong. Can happen if your trying to do too many things at once.

a RSOD is an illegal stack dump, thats bad. that computer may have a chance at recovery

3. homeofmew

homeofmew Active Member

4. atomant

atomant New Member

Ummm, not really...

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Thank you. If a computer has either of those screens, what should I do? Re-install Windows mabey?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  5. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

BSOD is pretty simple. Restart the computer, and you're good.

RSOD is a completely different story. Try restarting, but you're probably looking at a computer repair store for that kind of error. Stack dumps are BAD BUSINESS, and you NEVER know how one will affect your comp.

6. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Screen_of_Death

I can't find anything about the Red Screen being related to "Illegal Stack Dumps."

What is an Illegal Stack Dump anyway? I know plenty of illegal things you can do to make your program crash violently (which would, in turn, give you a stack dump), but I'm not sure what it means to have an illegal stack dump. That being said, Googling "Illegal Stack Dump" brings up an older PokeGym thread in the first three results where DukeFireBird made reference to it and RSoD. Additionally, Googling, "'Illegal Stack Dump' Red Screen" delivers said thread as its only result. <__<

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  7. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Active Member

BSOD indicates a kernel error -- corrupted registry, hardware failure causing memory corruption (usually faulty memory), or (most commonly in Windows) a badly-written driver/DLL doing a fandango on core and/or vomiting all over ring 0.

RSOD is a bootloader failure. The question there is why your bootloader failed. If something just scribbled onto the boot sector then that can easily be repaired with Windows recovery console (after doing a virus scan -- viruses like to do that sort of thing). It could also indicate your hard drive being in a death spiral, and the boot sector just happened to be the first thing to go.

Not sure why the term "stack dump" keeps getting thrown around like it's t3h 3vil. A stack dump is the actual execution backtrace and memory dump -- it tells a programmer where something failed. Has nothing to do with the actual problem, it's just the messenger stating what the problem is.

8. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

This is what I was wondering and it seemed like Duke just tacked on the word Illegal to make it sound more menacing and dangerous.

I thought about commenting that a stack dump is just the content of the stack when the program failed, but then that would leave the question "What's the stack?" and it all seemed a bit too far off on a tangent.

9. DukeFireBird

DukeFireBird Gallery Administrator<br>Forum Moderator

i was actually told that the stack dump is what it was, i guess im wrong. I learned something new today!

thanks for the correction