Relicanth and Old Amber

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Dennis Hawk, May 11, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Dennis Hawk

Dennis Hawk New Member

Hello,

I was just wondering if Relicanth originally could seek for Old Amber? As in japanese card's phrasing. We couldn't have a text for "search any trainer card with fossil or 'old amber' in it's name and put it in your hand", as Relicanth was released in the same set in Japan as the fossils.

If it couldn't, why not? Have they officially started dissing Aerodactyl? You can't even look for Ambers with Fossil Excavator, which makes me and him sad. Why not name it Amber Fossil or something, just to keep it as same family as Kabutops and Omastar, like up until now?

2. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

I'm pretty sure you can't. The japanese name for old amber does not include the "fossil" bit either, so it's right that Fossil Excavator and Relicanth shouldn't pull it.

3. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

That's stupid. They need to make Fossil a subtype of trainer so we can stop all these shenanigans.

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

How did you "make sure"?

It's pretty straightforward.
    Relicanth and Excavator both seach for Trainers that have Fossil in their name. Old Amber does not have Fossil in it's name.

There's not special exception for this unless they ever errata one of these cards.
    Short of that, you can't.

5. Dunsparce Fan 206

Dunsparce Fan 206 New Member

I guess they better make an errata for Relicanth then...

6. Ultima

Ultima New Member

No I think it should be Aerodactyl and Old Amber that receive errata so Fossil Excavator can be used too.

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Or... they just can't be gotten with it.

8. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

What interests me about Old Amber is the rulebooks stuff about playing "Fossil Pokemon" at the start of a game ... Since nothing else fossil related works on Old Amber & the word "fossil" does not appear on the card anywhere ... does the rulebook statement about not playing fossil pokemon apply as well? I would assume so but it seems that great pains have been made to keep Old Amber in a seperate category than say Helix Fossil or Armor Fossil.

And yes I have seen http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72772 but "It seems so" doesn't sound 100% sure to me.

9. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Ask again when the set is released and you will get a 100% answer

10. Krucifier

Krucifier New Member

The set *HAS* been released, Pokepop.

11. Time for Pain

Time for Pain <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

^not until after prereleases are done. (I think the 21st)

12. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Offical release is what counts. Unfortunately

13. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Some of us have Prereleases and Drafts to run......

14. V_For_Vendetta

V_For_Vendetta New Member

That is quite interesting. Old Amber cannot be grabbed because it is not a "fossil", so does this mean that you do not need to play it if you start with it? Quite interesting really....

15. Black Mamba

Black Mamba New Member

I kind of feel theres going to be some lame "you can't do this with it, but you still have to do that" rulings that are going to be placed on it. :/

16. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

Fossils are fossils, unless of course,
    the text on the card is "Old Amber."
    If that is the case, then argue 'til hoarse,
    about rocky fish and starting hands sir.

It's all in a day's work for the Pokemon crew,
    Who all love the game and all it can do.

17. charmander rox

charmander rox New Member

However, Excavator says "evolves from a Fossil" instead of "evolves from a card with Fossil in its name". Because Old Amber, as PokePop put it, is in the 'Fossil Group', wouldn't Aerodactyl be evolving from a Fossil, fitting the requirements for Fossil Excavator? This has been confusing me. Fossil really is a subgroup, according to the glossary of the instruction manual, and Old Amber is included.

18. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

This is worth looking into.
    We'll check on it