Retreating - clarification

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Yarac, Mar 24, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Yarac

Yarac New Member

In another thread (http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69593) Spirit of Mew asked whether "I could discard the double rainbow energy and the basic energy"... to pay a retreat cost of 2. The answer was that yes, this can be done.

However, a straight read of the Compendium LvX seems to imply otherwise:
    Q. Can you over pay retreat cost? I mean like if you wanted to get rid of a Darkness Energy from a free retreat pokemon, could you discard the darkness anyway when you retreat?
    A. No. (Aug 9, 2001 WotC Chat, Q311)

You may want to expand on the answer to state that it is possible to overpay the retreat cost in certain circumstances...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, I meant can you please clarify the LvX compendium answer? To my mind, the question in the compendium is comprised of two parts:

1) Can you (in some cases) over pay retreat cost?

Followed by the second part of the question, which is basically saying:

2) Here's an example of over paying - can I do this?

The answer in the compendium currently addresses only the second part of the question. Your answer below is the reply to first part of the question. Can you update the compendium with your answer below?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I did expand on the answer specifically for this reason.
    Did you not read my post adding to jimmer's answer?

You can't just discard an energy card for no reason.
    However, if a retreat cost is 2, you can discard the single energy first. That still leaves one energy to be paid.
    At that point you can discard the DRE. You are paying for the one energy with it. You just can't get any "change" back.

Note the difference in the ruling you quote.
    That is trying to discard a single energy for NO cost.