Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Reverse Pokemon Reversal!

TrEkIeV

This post is here to argue that the card "Pokemon Reversal" should be played the way it was written in Expedition. The ruling should be changed.

After speaking to my cousin who plays in Japan, he said that Pokemon Reversal over there is played the way it was written in Expedition.

Meaning, the player using the card chooses the benched pokemon.

Pokemon Reversal should be played as written in Expedition. The ruling should be changed.

We'll bring it up to PUI, but if they have to then bring it to Japan, it may take a while to get a response on it.

Everything doesn't HAVE to be the same, does it?
Leave things as they are, each change only confuses those not in the know. Play it as it is.

~fK

I think it should be errated to the old card. Sure alot of people wont play it, but alot of others would. I dont think there was any intention of making it a flip, your opponent chooses, or else it wouldnt have been called reversal, it woulda been renamed, I would think......

PS does this mean old Reversal was errated to new versions text??? I assume yes, but want to make sure

It's not an errata to reissue a card with new text.
It is default practice to play an old card with the new wording of the reprint.

For example, there were lots of wording changes issued in Legendary Collection.
Full Heal is another example of a recent reprint with significant wording changes.

According to Japanese Pokemon Reversal, This card is really a FILP FOR GUST card.

I think the main reason why NINTENDO translated wrongly is that,
The Japanese ADV Version Pokemon Reversal has been added a sentance which only for multi-battle but the NINTENDO mix up with it.

If i translate this card, I will translate as the follow:
Filp a coin, if heads, choose one your opponent's bench pokemon, switch it with your opponent's active Pokemon. (But you opponent have to choose which of his/her active pokemon will be switched away)

The sentance in the blanket is only for multi-battle.

But the NINTENDO mixed this two sentance into one so become like this......
http://www.pokeschool.com/tcg/scans/ex_ruby_sapphire/pokemonreversal87.jpg
which become a half-"warp point" XDDDDDDDD

Last edited:
Ah. They choose which active, not which Benched, then?
Well, we'll make sure to bring that up!
We haven't had a rules team meeting since before Christmas, though.

half a warp and the card will never see play. half a gust and it may be played.

its a shame that Nintendo/PUI/TPC/whoever! has been playing fast and loose with the 'play as written' game metarule. Play as written isn't as reliable a guide as it once was :( It really would help if some of the players were involved in checking the card templating rather than having to live with what we can only assume to be translation by someone who is not aware of the games history.

this does make sense alot, i thought something about the new rules about 2 vs 2 had to be involved in the wording, its like salamence Holo, some people got confused of its wording, since it wasn very clear if your opponent chose the benched pokemon to switch for, or you, if it does get reworded, board control (even with a flip) is back! niceness :) props to trekiev for noticing this.

yeah, board control wins you the game, so 4 will be in every deck, to increase the odds of flipping heads, 3-4 will be seen in every deck prolly if it does get reworded

Yeah, there's no question. Pokemon Reversal should be as a flip for Gust. I don't really think it would be in every deck though. Modified is not usually a format where you can send out a random Pokemon and KO it instantly. Just think... was Pokemon Reversal seen in every deck from Sept. 2002 until June 2003? Nope... During that time, it WAS played as a flip for Gust.

Regardless, it would be nice to revert it to the original printing, and I'm sure it would help out a number of decks.

Baboon:
The reason it wasn't played during that time span was because of a little card called Double Gust, which was and still is infinately more powerful than the Expedition version of Reversal. Now, however, if it DOES get errated, then it will be seen in many decks that can afford to switch out some cards. There are many decks that would not benefit from this board control, Gardy being one of them, mostly because of the amount of raw damage that they can do. Also, some decks really can not take out any cards to try and fit in Reversal. It will be seen, but it will not be a staple card.

We really need something like this. Right now there is no bench removal. I mean if your opponent sits something on the bench, unless you can do bench damage, most likely it can just sit there and never be touched. If they do errata it, it will bring needed bench switching back to the game.

well i think nintendo doesnt make this sentence on purpose

first of all,it doesnt care about 1v1 battle like last time
2nd , now its multi battle so they do what they like and dont care about other ppl's thought(especially unlimited format!!)

I can't see the ruling being changed without further weakening the play as written rule. I don't want more exceptions so given that I'd like to see the ruling changed that only leaves printing the card as a promo with new (ie original) wording ;)

Yeah... I posted my last message at 10:39 PM last time, so I was prolly just about sleeping...And it's after 10 now too, so don't take this too seriously either. ;)

I actually did forget about Double Gust at the time of posting. @_@ (And no, not all Modified decks without Double Gust were bad, by any stretch of the imagination.)

I don't really think they'll go with the "play as written" idea, as that would promote the Expedition version, which wasn't made by Nintendo. It's not the most significant thing, but every chance they get, they'll try to promote their own product.
Count me in for wanting it changed.

Hehe... you should make a formal petition to have something done, and have a bunch of people sign their names, or add their names if it's an online one. That'll get something done about it. ;)

I have never seen a online petition accomplish anything other than waste people's time. But I'll sign one anyways. I rather them play it as the EXP one tho.

Back