Riddle me this...

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by UncleBob, Jan 6, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

For my job, I get up at 5:30 in the morning. Yeah, it sucks. After I shower, dress, and eat, I usually leave around 6:30 am. I drive to the Wal-Mart I'm working at and arrive at work at 9:00 am in the morning.

I put in my shift in and leave the store at 7 pm. At this time, I typically stop to get gas and a soda and get back on the road, heading home. I arrive home at 7:30 pm.

How is this?

2. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

Good One.

Your job and your house are in different time zones. It takes you 1 1/2 hours to drive to work, but you lose an hour in the morning and gain it back going home.

BDS

3. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Well, I could be really mean and tell you that you're wrong. My place of work and my home are *technically* in the same time zone - they just don't adjust for daylight savings time... But yeah, you're generally right. :)

Although here's one I haven't figured out yet... it takes me 63.6 miles to drive to work and 73.6 miles to drive home... (and the place I go for gas isn't out of my way)... Weird, eh?

Anywhoo, here's a math one...

12, 24, 36, 48, 105, 126, 147, 168, 189, 1020, 1122, 1224, 1326, 1428, 1530...

What's 25th number in this sequence?
    The 50th?
    The 100th?
    The 5,000,.000th?

4. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

... riddle me that... whos afriad of the big black bat?
    Sorry I just had to do that:lol:

I saw what to do, but was to lazy to do it. So I'm going to say 50th
    Just a guess(man my head hurts :eek: )

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  5. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Shouldn't it be 12, 24, 36, 48, 105, 126, 147, 168, 189, 1020, 1122, 1224, 1326, 1428, 3015...?

so the 25th number would be 5025.
    50th would be 50100
    100th would be 100200
    and of course 5,000,000th would be 500000010000000

ouch.

So it's my turn?

Ummmmmm What's black and white and red all over? (You must give ALL the answers).

6. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

A newspaper
    A bloody/dead Zebra

7. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

"Ummmmmm What's black and white and red all over? (You must give ALL the answers)."

Michael Jackson Number Ones (that works on several levels)

8. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

You've got the right idea, you're just putting the numbers together a wee bit wrong.
    If you look at the 4th and 5th numbers, you'll notice that it goes 48 then 105, as opposed to 48 then 510. Then, when it reaches the 9th and 10th numbers, it goes from 189 to 1020... Basically, you take the numerical value for the place you're at and double it. Then, you put the two together - but you have to do it so that the number is the smallest possible... so 25th would be 2550, 50th would be 10,050, 100th would be 100,200 and 5,000,000th would be 100,000,005,000,000. I'm just tricky that way. :)

Black and white and red all over...
    Well, there are a *ton* of answers... here's some...
    A sunburned zebra
    An embarrased zebra
    A blushing penguin
    A skunk with diaper rash
    Oh, and there's a book/movie by that name...

Okay, here's another good riddle.

There's this hermit who lives by the coastline. He's the only child of two only children who have passed on. He has no family and no friends and generally no one he cares about. But he likes to read - a lot. Anywhoo, it's the morning of the 19th of October when we join our hermit friend - we'll call him Chris. Chris wakes up and gets out of bed. He turns off the light, grabs a robe and goes downstairs. Chris fixes himself a pot of coffee, grabs the morning paper and have himself a bowl of cereal. After a shower, he goes back upstairs to his room, dresses, heads back downstairs to his "library" and picks up a copy of Moby Dick and decides to read it. Around noon-ish, he fixes lunch and goes back to reading his book. Later that evening, after dinner, Chris goes back upstairs, turns on the light, jumps into his night clothes and goes to bed.

The next morning (the 20th), Chris wakes up, quite refreshed. He turns off the light, grabs his robe and goes downstairs again. Fixes his morning pot of coffee, grabs the paper, eats a bowl of cereal, showers, dresses and heads back to the library. Today he decides to read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Around noon, Chris has lunch and when he's done with his book that evening he heads back upstairs, jumps in his night clothes and promptly gets a phone call. He runs back downstairs to answer the phone and it's the phone company wanting him to switch to their Long Distance service. Chris declines, as he never makes any phone calls anyway and goes back upstairs. Chris turns in for the evening.

The next morning, Chris wakes up a little early to the sounds of sirens and helicopters. Finding this unusual, Chris grabs his robe and quickly goes downstairs. He peeks out his front door and grabs his morning paper and notices the headline "Big Shipwreck Overnight". Chris promptly goes into shock.

Where does Chris work?

9. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

A lighthouse, with his faithful Ampharos.

10. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Dang, I really wasn't expecting anyone to figure it out quite that fast... :(

Okay, three guys from college go on a road trip. Stopping at a cheap hotel for the night, they're told that the room is only $30 (quite the deal, 'eh?). Well, each guy chips in $10 for the room. They get thir keys and go check out the place. About a half an hour later, the hotel manager/owner goes to check on the clerk and notices that she overcharged the three college kids $5. The manager/owner gives the clerk the $5 and asks her to run it back up to their room and apologise to them. When she gets up to their room, the three guys thank her, then look to each other and try to decide how to split the $5 among the three of them. To save time/confusion, they give the clerk a $2 tip and the three guys each take one of the remaining three dollars.

So each of the three guys originally paid $10 for the room - $30 total. Then, they all got a dollar back, so they all paid $9 each for the room - which adds up to $27. Now, the clerk got a $2 tip, add that in and you get $29, But the three guys originally paid $30... where did the extra dollar go?

11. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

There IS no 'extra' dollar.

The room was originally $30...but the correct amount was $25. Refund: $5.
    $25 / 3 = $8.33 each..
    $2 tip
    $3 refund ($1 per head)

Total: $30

'mom

12. Shinji Ikari

Shinji Ikari New Member

One of them paid $0.01 more so $8.34 + $8.33 + $8.33 = $25 :D

13. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Well, dag nabbit... I could always try the riddle of the sphnix, but everyone knows that one...

Here's an old Cosby one... I have two coins in my hand. They are normal American currency - coins you'd be likely to find in your pockets. One of them is not a dime. If I add these two coins up, I have 35¢. What are the two coins?

14. SD PokeMom

A dime and a quarter.

You said ONE of them is not a dime...but nothing about the OTHER coin...;)

'mom

15. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Well, crud...

1 + 1 = 10

When is this statement correct?

16. Psycho_Lugia_X

Psycho_Lugia_X New Member

When you cross the ones to make an X, or roman numeral TEN! Woo!

I got this one from one of my favorite puzzle books back when i was in 4th grade and still remember it. Enjoy!

There was a girl who liked sheep. She loved to count sheep all day. She collected sheep stuffed animals. When she went to bed she counted sheep. She always dreamt of sheep. In fact, she dreamt often, dear, and fell fast asleep.

How many sheep did she count?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  17. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

18. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

When you're working in base 2.

19. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

><i>There was a girl who liked sheep. She loved to count sheep all day. She collected sheep stuffed animals. When she went to bed she counted sheep. She always dreamt of sheep. In fact, she dreamt often, dear, and fell fast asleep.

How many sheep did she count?</i>

I honestly haven't a darn clue...

<i>When you're working in base 2.</i>
    Yay! It took more than an hour for someone to come with the correct answer to one of my riddles! Yay!

Okay... a man walks up to the bar and approaches the bartender. The bartender can tell that the man is quite distressed and so the bartender asks the man what's wrong. The man sits down at the bar and replies, describing his problem to the bartender. The bartender smiles and reaches under the bar, pulls out a shotgun, and points it straight at the man's head. The man panics completly - almost to the point of going into shock. The bartender puts the shotgun up and after a minute or so, the man says "Thank you" to the bartender and orders a beer.

What was the man's problem?

20. SD PokeMom

The man had hiccups, and scaring him cured them.

'mom