Roar for EV Points

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by Dark_Gengar, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Dark_Gengar

Dark_Gengar New Member

If I use Roar against a wild Pokemon, would my Pokemon still get EV points?

2. Carrington388

Carrington388 New Member

I don't think so. Once Roar is done, exploring resumes without any experience gained or lost.

3. Dark_Gengar

Dark_Gengar New Member

There are no experience points, but there might be EV points since using Roar actually has the Pokemon engaged in battle. I wonder if anyone has a definate answer on this :confused:

4. ShadowOfTyranitar

ShadowOfTyranitar New Member

re

You can only get EV points and/or experience points if you knock the pokemon out.

5. Red5bv06

Red5bv06 <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Shadow is right. No EXP means no EVs.

6. invisible

invisible New Member

do you start with 0 EVS at the start always? so bred pokemon are always stronger than caught ones?

7. GuardianTIM

GuardianTIM New Member

Wild pokemon start with no EV's at all.
    As you battle wild pokemon, you slowly get more EffortValue points which boost your stats, like the way the Medicines (Protein, Carbos, etc.) do.
    Bred Pokemon will get any Effort points that the parent of the opposite gender has (a baby boy will get any Effort points from it's mother, but a daughter will get Effort points from it's father).
    If the parent had been caught straight from the wild, then the baby would still not get any Effort points, and would be equivalent to a wild pokemon still.

This is also why a pokemon that has been fed RareCandy will not be as powerful as a pokemon that has been levelled up naturally.
    My personal example of this is when I took 3 pokemon around lv75 into the battle tower to fight against the lv100 pokemon there, and still pummeled them into dust, despite the huge level difference.

Hopefully this will make some sense to you. :)

One application of this is if you have a pokemon that you really want to breed to be a super-pokemon, and you wanted it to be a girl (just an example), you'd boost it's Grandmother with medicines to max out the major stats (like SpAtk for an Alakazam, or Atk for a Zangoose, or SpDef for an Aggron, because it's regular Def is good enough as it is. This is how you compensate for weaknesses.), then boost the Male child (the grand-daughter's father), then when the baby hatches, boost that one, because you'll find that after a certain number of medicines, each pokemon won't take any more, and you have to do the rest by levelling. Also note that there is a limit to how many EV points you can get into any pokemon. Don't bother going crazy and boosting 10 generations of pokemon - it won't make any difference, and it will take you forever anyways.

8. Red5bv06

No, no, no. EVs are not passed on through breeding.
    DVs are passed on, in the case of Ru/Sa, 1 Random DV from each parent.
    Don't be decieved: all babies start with zero EVs.

9. GuardianTIM

GuardianTIM New Member

What are DV's??? and I thought it was all the EV's from the parent.

10. Red5bv06

DVs are determining values (also called IVs by some). They range from 0-31, and you have one for each stat.
    The whole point of breeding is to start anew, because you made some mistakes training the parent. If EVs were passed down, you would have no way to get those pesky, ill-gotten attack EVs off of a Swampert (for example).
    So, the summary is DVs are very important to your Pokémon's stats, as are EVs. The difference is EVs can be manipulated to your liking, whereas DVs are set in stone once you get the Pokémon. EVs are not passed down.

And just to stay more on topic, no, you don't get any EVs if you are roared away :D