Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rock Paper Scissors=Skill?

Not sure, unless you are good at reading opponents body language to try to guess what they will throw for R.P.S. I personally dont like the TGW, but it may have some place in the game, I just dont know where. It opens up the possibility for people to try to "cheat" their opponent by waiting that split second to choose. I dont know if this happens, but I do know that 1 person was trying to wait an extra count to show their choice, even after the TO specifically said how they wanted it done to provide consistency.

I dont know, there are just too many variable added that can cause problems.:thumb:

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_paper_scissors

Some interesting things from there to keep in mind.

Jason Simmons, a competitive RPS champion, claims that women tend to start with scissors,[4] while the World RPS Society states that males have a tendency to lead with rock. Central Vermont Champion, Andrew MacKay has coined the phrase "Rock, Rock, Paper" to best describe the tactics used by most men in rural New England. At World RPS tournaments, Paper is statistically the least common throw.[5]

The Best Solution To Prevent Cheating?

To prevent timing-based cheating, the players may be asked to hold their throwing hands behind their backs and reveal their already-formed throws after the count of three.

basic psychology
it only works if your opponent doesnt know about the psychological part about the game
an example would be when i was playing against anthony caspanello in a BR last sunday
he was angry because i was playing him like a harp, so i figured he would throw rock the first time
thus i threw paper
i won
the next game, i figured he would throw what beat him, so i threw scissors
i won there as well
psychology and skill are the names of the game

RPS is both skill and luck, just like the Pokémon TCG itself. ;)

OK most times the skill factor is very low, but it's better than flipping a coin or something completely random.

afaik players may use RPS cards or proxies (energy cards etc), place them face-down on the table and then reveal them. I think this is the best method to prevent cheating. And even if you mark your cards, it's just your oppenent who will gain the adventage.

you knew he would throw rock because he was angry?
yes
anthony is a guy, and our bodies naturally respond to anger with violence
violence is fighting, and is usually done with a closed fist, aka the symbol for rock
as i said, i read him like a book

yes
anthony is a guy, and our bodies naturally respond to anger with violence
violence is fighting, and is usually done with a closed fist, aka the symbol for rock
as i said, i read him like a book

That's if you usually assume your opponent is a mindless animal completely controlled by their emotions.

Ok...if you seriously have nothing better to do other than read up on "strategy" for RPS, something is wrong with you...

i play rps with cards, and i shuffle them facedown beforehand so even i dont know which one im choosing. that ensures complete randomimimity so my opponent wont be able to read me.

i didn't believe it also but there is actually some stragedy to it. I usually would throw papar so my opponent caught on and kept throwing scissors. So this happened for about 3 times then i switched it up to rock to beat his scissors, so he now knew i had switched and went to paper but i also went to paper to tie him up and keep him on his toes. Then I beat him the next 3 times later in the game when they counted the most. I played 2 games against this opponent, one in swiss and then one on the side event.

Anyone that thinks that RPS is in ANY WAY random chance is a fool.

Even if you think you're just going to go with whatever throw you think of at the last minute, there's a subconscious reason behind every throw you make, if not a conscious one.

There are many psychological strategies involved in RPS, even more than just psyching your opponent out - though, that is effective as well. In several games against me, Sean Foisy has said "I'm going to throw ____, are you ready?" and then thrown what he said he was going to throw. Then, the next time we played RPS, he'd say that again (with a different throw, of course) and then thrown something different.

That example is one of the more overt strategies used. Many subtle psychological hints can be used to manipulate your opponent's throws, and predictions based on what you know about a person can be used to help decide what you're going to throw.

Of course, you have to know what you're doing. One major key is that you must be comfortable with throwing on both the third (Rock, Paper, Scissors) and the fourth (Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoot). Some people throw on the third, some throw on the fourth, and if you agree to throw on the one that you usually don't, problems arise. If you usually throw on the fourth and agree to throw on the third, you'll most likely throw rock, because your brain thinks that's what you're supposed to be doing for one more time. If you usually throw on the third and agree to throw on the fourth, you might not throw that fourth time, causing a do-over. Either way, it messes up your psychological strategies.

Yeah... RPS is a pretty complicated game, really.

Back