Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rotation and Expanded

Pokealjovin

Administrator
Soon, we will (normally) have a rotation, but for all the competitive players, you know that larger events will have an Expanded format top-cut (or at least it was this year).

How do you plan on dealing with your older cards, do you keep a playset of the older cards, just in case they are usefull in Expanded? Or do you trade them toward newer cards anyways, and if you do need them, trade (or buy) for them down the road?

It's going to be my first real rotation, and I'm a bit unsure how I should treat those older cards, knowing that most of them would not see play again, most likely.

be aware its not just day 2 events that can use expanded cards, every other of my league challenges I've been running as expanded.

as for your old cards it depends what kind of collector you are vs what kind of player you are, for the player side you should be fine with a play set of the most useful older cards.

most of the expanded decks I've seen revive an old deck or grab older trainers/energy (dark patch, tool scrapper, etc) so you may just want to hold on to 1-2 of the old decks you had back then and some of the more useful put in any deck type cards. this may change next year depending on what the rotation is like.

Don't expect an expanded next year, The Japanese play BW-ON that's why it existed.
But I could be wrong.

Expanded will differ so much from Standard next season, I am wondering how much of an impact Expanded format will have for 2015/2016. Will it be phased out, limited to top cuts or used even more than this year?

For the moment I am keeping hold of all my BW cards.

I dont care much for expanded since all most will do is put in the broken trainer cards with whatever current deck people are playing. A better idea, if they want a expanded card pool is to just allow people to use a 10 or 15 card side deck.

Im still going to keep my cards now as well since they can still be useful.

Don't expect an expanded next year, The Japanese play BW-ON that's why it existed.
But I could be wrong.

Japan will be playing XY-on, BW-on, and DP-on (with the restricted list) starting June 20th. All 3 will be official formats utilized in some capacity. I question your logic of "we had it because Japan played it," because we've had different Modified/Standard formats in the past.

For better or worse, it seems Expanded will probably stick around.

Back