Rotom UD free prize?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by ABSOLutely, Mar 20, 2011.

8 league13 468 60
  1. ABSOLutely

ABSOLutely New Member

Hey guys it's ABSOLutely here, I'm wondering if you guys have seen Rotom UD. here's the text:

Rotom HP:60:lightning:
    poke'power: mischievous trick
    once during your turn (before your attack) you may switch 1 of your face down prizes with the top card of your deck.

:lightning: plasma arrow
    choose one of your opponent's pokemon. this attack does 20 damage times the number of energy attached to that pokemon.

well, if you have no cards in your deck, do you just put a P R I Z E C A R D ON T O P O F Y O U R D E C K :eek:? Tell me what you think.

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

check out the key word: "Switch"

3. BlueShuckle

BlueShuckle New Member

If you have no cards in your deck you lose.

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

No, that's not exactly right.
    You only lose if you can't draw a card at the start of your turn.
    His idea, if it had worked, would have put a card back into his deck that he could have drawn at the start of his next turn.
    But it doesn't work.

5. Roarkiller

Roarkiller Member

Yeah, it's kinda like Blaziken fb or zangoose, whose first attacks can't do nuts whn your opponent has no bench.

6. MattPL

MattPL New Member

Basically, you can't switch your prize card with the top card of your deck because there are NO cards in your deck. "Switch" means that you would have to exchange the two cards, yet there is nothing to switch in this case.

And yes, you only lose if you cannot draw at the start of your turn.

7. Politoed666

Politoed666 New Member

Hmm... I was expecting a thread about how underrated Rotom is as a tech. Oh well.

8. Scorpidad

Scorpidad New Member

Rotom can not be underrated until Azelf is rotated. Until then, it is rated where it should be, binder fodder.

9. Politoed666

Politoed666 New Member

1. Not in LostGar.
    2. You're forgetting it's attack.
    3. It makes TERRIBLE binder fodder.

10. sToRm07

sToRm07 New Member

rude.

and yeah, this guy is nice in lostgar in fact. and would be nicest next format when comboed with lithograph. ;)

11. Scorpidad

Scorpidad New Member

It was sarcastic, not rude. Being nice next format is what I was referring to, after Azelf is rotated.

12. Noah121

Noah121 Active Member

This same ruling applies to Rattata from the Team Rocket set, which had the same Pokemon Power. Since you can't switch a non-card for a card, the trick doesn't work.

I think that Rotom will become a lot better once the rotation happens. However, in some Lightning-type decks, it becomes an interesting tech against Regigigas if played well.