Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

[Round 3 ends Jan 14!] HLMACACC: Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayle

ROUND ONE IS OVER!!

Here's how it will work ya'll!

THE TASKS:

I'll ask you to do weird, random stuff, and you can't actually predict it ahead of time (because, I don't know either!). I may restrict the Pokemon you can use, I may restrict the card's statistics, etc, etc, etc.

It will basically be loads of funny stuff that I will do. lol

THE SCORING:

Every card you create (which may be multiple per task) will be scored out of 15 points. The final score for the round will be the average of all the cards you created.

Metagame: 5 points. Every card you make should have some unique niche to fill within the metagame. In some tasks I may restrict that niche - in others, I will let you come up with some use for it. You'll have the opportunity to explain in a few sentences what your card is able to do - but if you need more than a few sentences to do it, you will lose points. If the card is OVERPOWERED, you will lose points, as you will if it is UNDERPOWERED.

For example, if you make a card that is a Basic Pokemon and discards all cards attached to your opponent's Pokemon SP when you play it onto your bench... that's going to be worth 2 points most likely in this category. It's obviously too strong. A tech should never utterly shut down a deck.

Creativity: 5 points. Just as important as the balance of the card is the card's creativity. It's cool to make cards based off of the epic Pokemon in the world; after all, they're flashy for a reason, right? And I see nothing wrong with flashiness. TYRANITAR!! GARCHOMP!! GIRATINA!! :O

However, a really creative person will be able to take their idea and find a Pokemon that fits it, rather than taking a Pokemon and finding some ideas that fit it. I don't want to see six different playable Bibarels, but I don't want to see six playable Tyranitars either. Pokemon makes sure to release the full Pokedex every season, and it's quite impressive of them - but that means they need to use some interesting Pokemon for unlikely roles of greatness (see: Claydol!!). Be flexible.

Also, use attacks and attack names that are fitting for the Pokemon you're using, okay? Absol can't use acupressure.

Neatness: 2 points. These are pretty easy brownie points. I should be able to clearly read the card's name, its HP, its type, and whether its abilities are Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies, or Attacks; if they are attacks, they should have the cost of the attack clearly visible as well.

Accuracy: 3 points. These are also pretty easy brownie points, but they are very crucial. If your card plays exactly the way you describe or expect (or if it only doesn't due to some weird obscure controversy that requires a question to Ask the Rules Team or something), you will get full points. Mis-wording common effects, leaving out limitations on powers-per-turn or powers with conditions, etc, etc will lose you points here. Fortunately, you'll only get zero points in this section if you make a card that's something like pick up your opponent's deck and throw it on the floor. ;P

PLAYERS AND ELIMINATION:

GUYS GUYS GUYS, I HAD TO UP IT TO SIXTEEN PLAYERS! That means more rounds, and more awesomeness for everybody!

So here's how it will work NOW! There will be FOUR PODS of 4 people each. At the end of the second round, the bottom player of each pod will be cut, and the remaining 12 players will be organized into TWO PODS of six players each, depending on EVERYONE'S scores - low scores in one pod, high scores in the other. At the end of the fourth round, the bottom two players of each pod will be cut, and the remaining 8 players will be grouped into TWO PODS of four players each - low scores in one pod, high scores in the other, like before. Then, after the sixth round, we'll cut the bottom two from each pod, and the remaining four players will compete for first place! Sound good?

Just like before, scores are added together at the end each round, and each pod shift resets your score to zero., giving you a chance to learn and to pick up the pace!

So, suppose you got a 12 in the first round and a 13 in the second round, putting you neatly at second place with a score of 25. Your score is fourth best throughout the tournament (Scary competition!) so you move into the upper-level pod, and score a total of 20 points. You're fourth place in your pod, so you don't get cut, but you're in the bottom half of your pod - so you go to the lower scores pod. After two more rounds, your score is 23, putting you in second place in your pod. You make it to the finals!!

PRIZES???:

Maybe I will buy the winner several boosters and/or a plushy from Alderwood Mall or something, haha. First place will definitely get something! ;P

SIGN-UPS:
- Darkmot
- Lucario EX
- Blitzer
- Otaku
- Scipio
- Deoxys Cool Form
- Kezzup
- nnaann
- DragonFlames1994
- Gallade [DROP] replaced by Parco Folgore
- Qwachansey
- RB Golbat
- Cardkeeper
- ShuckleLvX
- Mama Luigi
- pokemandan

All full guys! First round set to start by this weekend :)

Last edited:
-Signs the entrance sheet-

Oh and I love the line about how a tech should never utterly shut down a complete deck. 1-1 Dialga alone shuts down so many decks it aint funny :p

hooooly - SIXTEEN IT IS

I will sign all of the people up. All of them! This is SO COOL GUYS. <3

@Blitzer: What's Pokemon Card Creator, out of curiosity? I haven't heard of it. I may want you to just write them out (for sake of an even playing field) but iunno.

EDIT2: I found PCC. It's perfectly harmless, go for it.

@Scipio: >>" Dialga G should never have been made. I think we can all agree

Edit: Okay, since I need to accommodate more players, I've changed the elimination and round structure. There will now be seven rounds, eliminations start after round two, but I've kept the mix-matching of pods and whatnot.

If you have any questions or concerns or anything, I'm all ears. I like the structure idea but we are all blind to the flaws of our own creations (most of the time ;P), so...

Last edited:
Added Mama Luigi. ^^ Whoo!

No, it doesn't require graphical fakes, you can just type out the cards as long as I can clearly see and read what is going on. You are welcome to use PCC, though. There'll still be stuff to judge you on for neatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back