Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

RP forum -- anyone interested?

dkates

On another Pokemon message board I frequent (Pokeschool), one of my favorite forums is a Pokemon Role Play forum. I would be interested to find out if establishing such a forum here would be an option, and if people here would be interested.
If anyone isn't clear on what I am talking about, it'd basically be a chance for people to participate in various stories or scenarios related to Pokemon. A little like D&D, but without a DM or dice, and Pokemon-themed.

Last edited:
I'm all for it. Since I love D&D I think it woul be great. But one question: What is it like with out a DM? How is it decided 'where you go', if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Treecko

I've seen one of these before, it's more like everyone takes part in a story. So meaning try doing one in the Pokefiction thingy

treecko_332 said:
I'm all for it. Since I love D&D I think it woul be great. But one question: What is it like with out a DM? How is it decided 'where you go', if you know what I mean.
Usually, the starting location, and the RP's scenario, is decided by whoever starts the RP topic. After that, each character decides for himself/herself where he/she wants to go, within the boundaries of the particular RP situation. There can be, and probably often would be, more than one RP going at a time. In fact, some people have been known to participate in more than one RP at the same time. Things such as how much damage a Pokemon takes, etc. are usually "controlled" by the person controlling the relevant character(s) (in this case, the Pokemon that gets hit). So, you may be wondering, "Who makes sure a person doesn't make his/her character(s) too powerful?" The answer is that all players are expected as a rule to avoid "superplaying" -- the rule is usually enforced by peer pressure.

Joe Monkey said:
I've seen one of these before, it's more like everyone takes part in a story. So meaning try doing one in the Pokefiction thingy
Maybe -- I'd like to hear from a mod first, as to whether they think RP's fit within the scope of the Fan Fiction forum. But I could definitely see that working.

Just a few other notes:
  • For the sake of simplicity, most RP'ers will create a single character that they will use for whatever RP's they play in. For that reason, in whichever forum these RP's end up happening (if they do), I would suggest that there be a sticky topic where people can post the character bio for their "standard" character.
  • I would suggest, in the interest of fairness, that people not use "legendary" Pokemon on their lists, unless they got that Pokemon in a specific RP event. Of course, this rule need not be set in stone.
  • The most important rules of any RP are "no autoing" and "no superplaying". Autoing is when you try to control a character that isn't yours, deciding their actions for them. Superplaying is basically when you give yourself an unfair advantage by making your character stronger than it really should be.
  • One thing that annoys many experienced RP'ers is seeing a person RP poorly. This refers to things like not being descriptive, out-of-character actions, or hard-to-read posts. If RP's are established here, I plan to make a post giving some suggestions on how to avoid this.
  • As a suggestion, if RP's end up being part of the Fan Fiction forum, it may be easier to distinguish them if you put "RP" in the title.

There could be another thing we could do, though it isn't really RP. Why not a Battling Forum? We could avoid the hastles of Apprentice and of Instant Messenger. It would be kind of like a Chess-by-mail thing. And everyone would be able to see the battle play by play. This would be a great place to test out newly created decks.

Well, I always wanted to try out D&D, and this idea will probably be the closest i'll ever get to it :lol:

bring it on.

One thing, if we did this I think there should be one for each, Kanto, Johto and Hoenn. Also, it should stat out with people only being able to choose among the starter pokemon in that area. That way people would havet to train the pokemon to have a good team.

My two cents,

Treecko

Why not 3 different formats? Unlimited, Modified, and EX forums. Each has its own sets of rules. We could even have like a Gym Leader there if someone wants to be one. Unlimited and Modified would have the card regulations and EX would have 2-on-2 battles.

I'd be the first one to volunteer for such a forum.

Hey, I have an idea! If its OK with you moderators, think we could try out a game on this RTC page?

After the game we can see what people's feedback is.

What d'ya think?

treecko_332 said:
One thing, if we did this I think there should be one for each, Kanto, Johto and Hoenn. Also, it should stat out with people only being able to choose among the starter pokemon in that area. That way people would havet to train the pokemon to have a good team.
An interesting idea, but I disagree. Certainly some RP's could work that way, but for most RP's, a character is allowed to choose his or her own 6-Pokemon team right at the beginning. Of course, the beauty of the RP structure is its flexibility. Each RP can individually be made as open or as restrictive as the person who established it wants it to be.

Last edited:
Back