Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Rules for playing japanese cards at worlds??

TORCHWOOD

Hi Y'all

I'm just wondering, can I play japanese cards that have only been released in japan at the worlds this year??

Generally, the cards allowed in the World Championship Tournament are announced, and are all of the legal sets that have been released in English prior to the event.

Usually those include cards from the May PreReleases, and nothing past that (except maybe a POP set, but usually just the main set)

So, in years past, no, having the cards that have been only released in Japan will not give you an advantage or a leg up, or even be allowable at the World Championship event.

Vince

On a similar note, I understand that you need to have an outside reference or printed card-dex if you want to play japanese cards in a tournament. What is the penalty for not having it?

Ok, lets say my opponent plays a JPN Quilava to evolve their active Cyndaquil. I ask for a reference and they fail to provide it. What happens?

At Worlds, there are competitors from all over the place.
Every player is allowed to have cards in their local language.
If translations are needed, there are translators available or there are generally references available to the judges to show to players as needed.

Bear in mind that a US player tricking out their deck with a range of different foreign cards and no card-dex printouts will not be looked at kindly. We need the translators and reference materials to be used where needed, not running around and being distracted to amuse someone.

Not saying that is your intention. Just making sure any casual reader won't get any ideas.

Last edited:
At Worlds, there are competitors from all over the place.
Every player is allowed to only have cards in their local language.
If translations are needed, there are translators available or there are generally references available to the judges to show to players as needed.

Bear in mind that a US player tricking out their deck with a range of different foreign cards and no card-dex printouts will not be looked at kindly. We need the translators and reference materials to be used where needed, not running around and being distracted to amuse someone.

Not saying that is your intention. Just making sure any casual reader won't get any ideas.

Umm, what? Good job answering what I didnt ask. You might make a nice career in politics :wink:

You're asking a question that might have 30 different answers depending on the specifics of the exact case.
So I am answering it as best I can without giving you an answer that will turn out to be wrong in any specific case that does happen in the actual event.

Bottom line, players should use cards in their native language or in English.
Those players using cards in some other language will be expected to have a reference card or a card dex print out.

What happens if they don't might vary depending on how much pain they are trying to cause the staff.

or conversely, how much pain the opponent is causing the staff, too: for example, if 'you' play a rare candy on your turn, then on the next turn your opponent plays a non-local-language copy of the same card, and you call for a judge when they say they don't have a reference....don't be surprised if there are penalties on BOTH sides of the table.

'mom

or conversely, how much pain the opponent is causing the staff, too: for example, if 'you' play a rare candy on your turn, then on the next turn your opponent plays a non-local-language copy of the same card, and you call for a judge when they say they don't have a reference....don't be surprised if there are penalties on BOTH sides of the table.

'mom
Out of curiosity, has that ever happened?

Ok, lets say my opponent plays a JPN Quilava to evolve their active Cyndaquil. I ask for a reference and they fail to provide it. What happens?

If this happens at worlds i don't know what to do.

At any normall tornament failer to provide a reference may result in a disqualifiation.

sorry for not being specific enough.

I want to play Heatran Lv.X at worlds. I know what it does but if it's not out in English in time for worlds then I will have to play my japanese one. Socan I use it??

So they have a temple of anger, cry from the mysterious deck at worlds.
And it isn't released in this area yet.
Wouldn't it give them an advantage?

Back