Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ruling question regarding Wally

ianthegamer

An opponent played down Wally but had no basic pokemon on the bench. He had an active Garbordor (Stage 1) and began looking through his deck failed Wally and shuffled.
What would the Penalty be? The Judge stated that it would be a prize penalty and we both agreed but im curious if this is a true ruling or if there would be another result?

Would the penalty be any different if they didnt shuffle?

We don't do penalty questions in this forum because there are a range of valid answers and specific details can affect what is done.

Moving to The Judge's Chamber forum where things like this can be discussed.

Compendium EX said:
Q. Can I use Wally's Training on a Mewtwo to search my deck, even though there is no evolution of Mewtwo?
A. No, there has to at least be the possibility of a valid evolution in order to use this card. Sorry. (Jan 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)
I cannot find a newer version of this ruling but it is still valid: the game knows its evolution lines; you can search for a pokemon that is not in your deck but you cannot search for a pokemon that does not exist.

At what point in the game is this? Has any search cards or abilities that let the opponent do a search already been played? What tier tournament is this?

If the search has not happened yet... I would call it GPE minor and use its recommended penalties.

If the search has happened...
In tier 1, if no search cards have already been played, I would say the search without a card effect qualifies for GPE Major and the penalty is a warning for both players.
In tier 1, if search cards have already been played, I would say the search without a card effect qualifies for GPE major and the penalty is warning but I may reduce to caution depending on age division.
In tier 2, if no search cards have already been played, I would say the search without a card effect qualifies for GPE Major and the penalty is a PL for the offending player and warning for the other player.
In tier 2, if search cards have already been played, I would say the search without a card effect qualifies for GPE Major but I would reduce to warning for both players.

League Challenges 2015, Tournament Organizer / judge

Last edited:
Back