Ruling: Sandstorm Espeon

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by mozartrules, Sep 11, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. mozartrules

mozartrules New Member

Espeon's attack states:

CCC Energy Crush 20+
    Does 20 damage plus 10 more damage for each Energy attached to all of your opponent's Pokemon.

Should this be taken as your opponent's ACTIVE Pokemon? I assume that it should, otherwise this would be way too good. The problem is that I don't think that is what the attacks says.

Did anybody have issues with this at any of the prerelease tournaments?

2. dkates

dkates New Member

As written, it counts all Energy cards attached to any of your opponent's Pokemon, then does 20 damage plus 10 for each. It looks to me like an effort to allow for metagame, since people going up against decks like this have to make sure they don't have too much Energy attached.

3. mozartrules

mozartrules New Member

I don't think anyone can play effectively against a 80hp Pokemon with less than 4 energy cards in play.

That means that Espeon does at least 60 for CCC and it even has a great first attack too. That is silly!

4. dkates

dkates New Member

For Modified, it may become an archetype. Unlimited, though, will be a different story. There, this guy will probably make little impact, since less Energy tends to be needed or used.

5. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

It certainly will be played like it's predacessor the discovery version in modified. It is not too cheap for modified however. There will be enough to take down this 80 HP since Espeon usually can't ohko. But again you will see this. (also now has a retreat)

6. dkates

dkates New Member

I have a feeling Boost Energy is about to become even more popular, assuming an E-on format. Why? Note this attack's cost. (C)(C)(C). Espeon is an Evolved Pokemon, and can therefore use Boost Energy. Boost Energy provides (C)(C)(C). Funny thing, that.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  7. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

I ruled it the last 2 events as play as written. Excellent card.

8. liminy0

liminy0 New Member

It is a great card. Imagine to have Light Dragonite and Espeon both active...and it fits in the deck, too.

9. Captain Obviousx1

Captain Obviousx1 New Member

Imagine playing that against Rain Dance...ouch. Upwards of 100 damage kills. ^_^

10. dkates

dkates New Member

:eek:Another counter to Rain Dance? Imagine that!:rolleyes::lol:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2003
  11. Android17a

Android17a New Member

Espeon, huh? Excellent... these new sets have some wonderful Psychic pokemon appearing. Gardevoir ex is one of the ones I'm really looking forward to... not that the regular Gardevoirs are too shabby.