Salamence SW and EX

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by mca3, Dec 29, 2007.

1. mca3

mca3 New Member

I was tinking of making a deck with Salamence I have 4 SW and 2 EX DF. Could I build a deck surrounding this pokemon or which pokemon could I add with it, I was thinking Magnaton PK, for the drawing of energy from discard pile.

2. flariados

flariados New Member

blastoise SW

3. mca3

mca3 New Member

I cant use the Blastoise with Saly SW, do you mean The Saly EX?:fire::water:

4. CrownAxe

CrownAxe New Member

you can use blastoise with Saly SW

5. MPressive

MPressive New Member

He would allow you to put down a whole bunch of the water energy but you would only have to worry about your fire energy. You might be able to get around without using the fire part of the discard.

6. mca3

mca3 New Member

True, but that would only attack the bench. I was wanting to run 2 Salamence EX DF too. Well I forgot you could only use Direct hit, to use Dragon Finish you need both.

7. Rai

Rai <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Holon's Castform can provide the fire energy to use the attack. You just go with the 100 to the bench. I mean, none of the common main attackers are killed by 100 colorless damage to them. :/ (Magmortar: 110, Garde: 110, Garde X: 130, Gallade: 130, Honchkrow X: 110, Blissey: 130, etc.) The water discard is MUCH more useful. Not to mention Water's got more support then Fire (Mantine/Mantyke, Suicune, etc.) and you can then tech in Blastoise d to avoid Blissey being more stupid then it needs to be.

The hitting the bench effect is LOADS better then the hitting the active. Bench always holds lower HP targets then Active. You'll just need... Something to deal with the irratating Gallades that always happen to come active. Salamence DF doesn't sound like a bad idea, 'cause it can spread damage and SW can then mop up the mess (...Kinda ironic, i'n't it? Using an EX to set up and sacrificing the EX to then clean up with the non-ex? I find it weird in any case...)

At least you'd have a win against Honchkrow decks, should it ever set up

8. mca3

mca3 New Member

But you HAVE TO have 2 FIRE and 2 WATER to use Dragon Finish, Check out my Stance deck on the Forum, let me know what you think.

9. Rai

Lemme see...

Blastoise: "I attach 3 water energy to Salamence..."
    Next turn: "I attach Holon's Castform to Salamence, returning a water."

What energy is attached to Salamence? 2 Water (basic), 2 Rainbow (special). The 2 rainbow can count for fire. Well, isn't that handy? Not to mention SW only discards basic energy, so you only lose the water energies.

10. mca3

mca3 New Member

Is that a good idea to run Salamence, I like him, and I dont believe anyone else is running him. I can use Dragon Finish on the bench and use Direct hit on Active, Right I have 2 Holon Castforms, and no Double Rainbows.:confused:

11. Rai

What's good about Salamence SW? It makes for a good cleaner after Salamence DF, which actually is not a half bad card.

Magmortar can't one shot it unless it has a REDICULOUS amount of energy on it (When 2 scrambles won't OHKO something...), AND it is super effective against Magmortar.
    Gallade can't ever OHKO it either. 160 HP + Fighting resistance is amazing.
    Blissey has seen a MASSIVE decline in popularity, compared to earlier this season, making weakness less of an issue.
    The retreat cost is negliable with Mantine (Which you'd play if using Blastoise, 'cause Active Blastoise ruins your day)

If you DON'T have Salamence DF, I don't think it's worth it to put the deck together.
    You're using stage 2 pokemon to do only 100 damage to the bench, which is NOT an OHKO on Gardevoir, Gallade, or Magmortar. The 40 damage from DF's Dual Stream can put all of those pokemon into KO range for Salamence SW.
    You're really going to need at least 5 water energy in hand to be able to use Dragon Finish twice in a row. If you're going with less, you'll have to wait even longer ('cause Blastoise ends your turn).
    Not to mention that the non-Salamence DF version has a better Alternative. It's called Magmortar/Typholosion/Delcatty. Really. The Delta EX makes THAT big of a difference to make this worth at least thinking about.

I just shudder though trying to think of a list to hold everything. To have SO MANY pokemon running around, and such specific requirements (Oh, I need some energy in hand now... Oh, need that Blastoise~ Let's not forget a pokemon to attack, now... Oh, how to fit it all in 60 cards?), it's... daunting. Especially since neither Salamence nor Blastoise have any way of accelerating your set up ('sides playing of energy) Perhaps Furret Start... But that sets even MORE pokemon in the list. Oh, what a headache...

12. Blaziken 1111

Blaziken 1111 Active Member

Sorry but neither of the sallys are good. They are a stage 2 and they also need a lot of energy excelerization so they are really slow.

13. Rai

Both EX Salamences are good. Big Damage/Spread? Big HP? Best resistances possible (psychic isn't that impressive, 'cause Garde will either Bring Down, or run away to Gallade in most cases)? Not to mention -30 on each of them? Sure, the colorless weakness and EX status aren't that great, but with some playing around, they're both very devastating.

The problem is that non-EX Salamence isn't too amazing. 100 damage doesn't one shot a whole lot any more. It'll really just pick off Honchkrows (who forgot to level up, tsk tsk) and Delcatties, as well as un-evolved pokemon. :/ 150 OHKOs everything commonly played. 140 also does, which allows a Salamence SW to rack up kills after EX has spread some damage around.

14. pokemaniac93

pokemaniac93 New Member

Salamence EX, Delcatty EX, Delcatty, MAgneton. That is an awesome deck.

15. Skull Bash

Skull Bash New Member

The problem with Salamence is it is too slow and most energy accelerators are stage 2'ers. (Blasty, Typhlosion, Blaziken) Having to get out 2 stage 2's only to be doing sufficient damage isn't worth it.

16. MPressive

MPressive New Member

I have thought about this guy for a long time and honestly I just don't see how to do it...
    I had one Idea that would make Saly work, but you would have to set up and only be able to use saly.

You could Try the Saly with Magneton (PK) get those energy back every turn and play something like the new Leafion LV.X to put them both down. This could work but you would need to play Water and Fire energy more so you could make salamance work...
    Another thought is that you could throw a Flareon, Vaporeon, or Glaceon in there for good meassure and another attacker incase you can't get that Sally to work.

17. Rai

Has anyone looked at Togekiss GE?

My sister pointed out Togekiss since it's confirmed to be in GE, and I went thinking...

Togepi's got a delta basic.

What else has a delta basic, and could do with many basic energy cards? Aaah, Salamence...

Iono, the fact that you CAN Holon's Castform start (whether that's ideal or not is debatable. Certainly you'd want Castform in the deck regardless of starting with it, so you can make up for having the wrong types of basic energy pulled), power up multiple salamence potentially with Togekiss, and have several good stage 2 pokemon seems like a good idea to me. It sounded even better when we thought Omastar was still in Great Encounters, 'cause Omastar would allow you to keep reusing Togekiss. You'd have to worry about decking out, but what good deck doesn't?