Sandslash MT Spike Armor vs. Holon WP

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Chairman Kaga, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga New Member

The question arises because Spike Armor places an effect on Sandslash, which gets triggered by the opponent attacking on their next turn. It's not an effect of an attack, it's an effect of an effect of an attack :) It's also not an effect done to the Attacking Pokemon, at least not initially. Holon WP does not prevent the effect from going on Sandslash, but does it prevent the subsequent placement of damage counters when Sandslash is damaged?

[EDIT: Took out the stuff w.r.t. Lucario LvX since it's not actually relevant]

Addendum: Reference the ruling on Fluff vs. Dark Seed:

Holon WP can't stop the creation of Sandslash's effect, since it resides on Sandslash. Based on the Fluff ruling, it shouldn't be able to prevent the damage counters either. Holon WP only keeps the effect from being created in the first place -- if it gets created, it must then resolve, and Holon WP can't do a thing about that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Hmm.
    I expect I meant to put a "not" in there, but in any event, Stance and Spike Armor don't interact at all.
    Stance prevents effects of attacks during the opponent's next turn, but Spike Armor would trigger during Lucario's turn, when he attacks. No interaction! I corrected my earlier answer.

I suspect we should discuss the Holon WP case. It doesn't have the "during your opponent's next turn" clause like Stance does, but that might be "understood".

No rules team this week though.
    Night off for Valentine's Day.

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

The attack effect is originally placed on Sandslash.
    By the time damage counters are being placed, it's no longer directly an "effect of an attack on" that Pokemon and so it gets past the protection.