Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sceptile deck help

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeileMom

Hi, I'm fixing up my Sceptile deck but I'm really torn on what to add in case I run into a BAR deck. I was running Crawdaunt but I didn't really like it. I was considering Zangoose to counter Rayquaza and a Magneton line for energy.
Basically I use 2 lizard Poison Sceptiles, 2 Tail Rap Sceptiles, their cooresponding Treekos and Grovyles, 2 Roselia, and a 2 Zigzagoon/ 2 Linoone line. I had 4 Corphish/ 3 Crawdaunt in but again, I wasn't really happy with them.
Any suggestions? I won't post the trainers since they really depend upon the pokemon I add.
Thanks for any suggestions!
---Nicole
WeileMom
PS I just wanted to add I'm using this in a City Championship so I can't add TA/TM. I know its not going to be a winning deck but its just for fun.

Last edited:
I always find the Sandstorm Eevee line a good mix in to most decks. For Vaporeon, 50 for 3 energy isn't all that bad and takes out a Firestarter Blaze in a hit. Sandstorm Espeon is a nice big hitter near the end or middle of the game and its attacks takes 3 colorless! Espeon also goes very well with Boost Energy which might also help Sceptile pull off a surprise Solar Beam.

Last edited:
Most Sceptile decks have AQ Entei, Sky Raikou, and/or AQ Suicune, depending upon what is played in your area. Zangoose for Dragons. Dunsparce to get them out, once you see what your opponent is playing. G energy. Rainbow Energy (you might get into trouble if you use Crystal).

Most of the decks played are Salamence, BAR, and Gardy Ex.
Unfortunately we don't have Suicune or Entei, but we do have 1 Raikou. We also have two Zangoose. The Eevee line idea looks good too but I'm having trouble deciding! I think I'll take out the Zigzagoon/Linoone. So here is where I'm sitting:
4 Treeko
2 Grovyle
2 Sceptile Lizard Poison
2 Sceptile Tail Rap
2 Roselia

Options:
4 Dunsparce
4 Eevee
2 Espeon
2 Vaporeon
2 Umbreon
2 Zangoose

I only have one Raikou so unless I added more electric, like Magneton, I don't think it would be worth it.
UGH!! Maybe I should just keep Crawdaunt! After all he does 60 damage with 3 energy attatched and 120 to Blaziken. I guess he would do 120 to Rayquaza too if I attatched crystal shard.
I'm so confused!!
---Nicole
WeileMom

i like your options.....espeon, vaporeon would be good big hitters against BAR and its variants and i would definitely put in 4 dunsparce...drop the umbreon and zangoose and jus run a couple shards....more versatility with shard and it requires only the pokemon with the engery on it to be a surprise colorless pokemon lol....anyways jus my thoughts

I am not quite sure why you want to play SceptileTech, he is extremely weak to fire a highly played type of deck. Sceptile is a slow deck unless you are lucky enough to start with a Roselia and a handful of grass and a birch. The chances of that are not good. Unless you upped the amount of Roselia and play a whole bunch of grass energy. I would suggest going one way or the other on the Roselia/Sparce. 4 of one or the other

Don't forget to add some fire in their to take care of Aggron/Ex.

The Eevee/Espeon line is pretty good and as long as you have three energy in play you can always take out a Wobby and Garde.

The way I see BAR or RAMBO working is they keep attacking with the Ray, so by taking him out you hurt their deck.

You can always add crystal Shard to your deck which will help take out Ray . Meaning most good BAR players will hold the Ray in their hands until they are ready, but you will just hold the Shard in your hand until they bring out their Ray. The deck is based on them getting him out and when one card can comp a deck and give you two prizes I think that is pretty good.

Clefable73 said:
I am not quite sure why you want to play SceptileTech, he is extremely weak to fire a highly played type of deck. Sceptile is a slow deck unless you are lucky enough to start with a Roselia and a handful of grass and a birch. The chances of that are not good. Unless you upped the amount of Roselia and play a whole bunch of grass energy.

Because I'm a mom and not really in this for the medal :D
I just want to make a good showing.
Actually I really like the lizard poison Sceptile. You only need one energy to start disrupting your opponent's deck. For the same reason I like to play anything that poisons, burns, paralyzes, etc. I especially like Desert Shaman and warp point.
There are a lot of GardyEX decks and Sceptile does well against them. Plus he's not an EX. I really am looking for a good backup to switch him with. Believe it or not I have had good luck getting him out turn 3 or 4 with enough energy to really bother the opponent. It hurts being poisoned, burned, and asleep all at the same time. If you use Roselia and the Energy Trans Sceptile too he can be powered up quickly. Yea, most of the time he's a tad slow.
So, do you feel the Eevee Espeon would be better than the Crawdaunt? BAR is my biggest concern, I don't want to be completely trumped, but again I don't expect to be the city champ!
Thank you for all of your input!
---Nicole
WeileMom

With Boost Energy and Sceptile ex, I really think the deck will be a lot faster and stronger. Add in Dunsparce definantly to get Treeckos and a Roselia. I beat a blaze deck(only one blaze ex inside, no rayquaza) by one shotting a Firestarter with a Boost on Scept ex for 100 before he had anything else set up. Make sure you have some drawing trainers to help you get grass energys when Roselia is out.

Last edited:
BJJ763 said:
Most Sceptile decks have AQ Entei, Sky Raikou, and/or AQ Suicune, depending upon what is played in your area. Zangoose for Dragons. Dunsparce to get them out, once you see what your opponent is playing. G energy. Rainbow Energy (you might get into trouble if you use Crystal).

actually brian, come to think of it, you have the only sceptile deck i have ever seen with the legendary dogs. i guess ur the only one who likes it :)

A few weeks ago, i played a Sceptile deck, and the guy used Wailord as one of its attackers. What he did was this:

1. Attach a Water energy to Wailord
2. Move a few grass energies and a Multi energy to Wailord
3. Used Wailord's Surf attack.

I think someone mentioned this already, but my newest suggestion would to have a Sceptile ex or 2 in the deck, especially with its first attack.

Xeno said:
With Boost Energy and Sceptile ex, I really think the deck will be a lot faster and stronger. Add in Dunsparce definantly to get Treeckos and a Roselia. I beat a blaze deck(only one blaze ex inside, no rayquaza) by one shotting a Firestarter with a Boost on Scept ex for 100 before he had anything else set up. Make sure you have some drawing trainers to help you get grass energys when Roselia is out.

I plan on adding 2 Sceptile ex's but first I have to use my deck for Cities.
So, here is what I have now:
4 Treeko
2 Grovyle
2 Sceptile Lizard Poison
2 Sceptile Tail Rap
2 Roselia
4 Dunsparce
4 Eevee
2 Espeon
2 Vaporeon

4 mulit-energy

I thought about Wailord too. I guess I'll try this and see how it works first.
Thanks for the help!
---Nicole
WeileMom

I still think Boost Energy would be a good idea, it can be used for both Sceptile and Espeon, maybe Vaporeon at desparate times.

WeileMom said:
I plan on adding 2 Sceptile ex's but first I have to use my deck for Cities.
So, here is what I have now:

What do you think about this:

2 Grovyle
[You imply 2-3 Rare Candy, no?]

Make the 'sparce scarce.

This brings your pokemon count down to 20 and makes some room. You might mulligan a bit with 10 Basic PKMN, but that is what your pal, Dessert Shamin' is for... [In fact, we'll add Birch because of the Shaman/Birch combo cattdreams showed me].

3 Boost

The surprise Solar Beans you can pull off with the boost (as well as the sudden Espeon) is the real benefit to this deck as others have stated. Boost, as suggested above, makes this deck go.

Now these,

3 Rainbow

can be Energy trans'd about by your 'rapper. You can play them down on something you're going to Nurse, switch, then trans to the real target (Vaporeon). Now heal the guy you damaged with them.

So, try this on for size:

Versa-'tile

20 Pokemon [10 Basic / 6 Stage 1 / 4 Stage 2]

4 Treecko
2 Grovyle
2 Sceptile (NRG Trans)
2 Sceptile (Liz. Poison)
2 Roselia
4 Eevee
2 Vaporeon
2 Espeon

24 Trainers

3 Rare Candy - Get Scepter or single turn Espeon w/ Boost!
3 Nurse - Switch out the tired Scepter for his instantly powered bro, then heal.
3 Oracle - Get the next thing you need.
4 Birch - Stack this atop your key card after Oracle, or let it replenish your hand after Shaman.
3 Desert Shaman - Every time they Oracle, 'whump, there it was'!
1 Town Volunteers - In case the second Scepter is stuck in the prizes.
2 Prof. Elm's Training/Wally - Evolve to win. Elm is better, Wally will do.
3 Switch - spirit away the sick monster to be healed.
2 Crystal Shard - Dragonslayer.

16 Energy

9 Grass
3 Rainbow - you can Trans it to Vaporeon for no damage.
3 Boost - a timely K/O keeps you in the game.

Hi Bulbasnore!
And I was just going to ask about trainers, thanks!
However, due to Ashley's deck getting presidence I don't have everything you listed available.
Anyone have extra Boost Energy or Pokemon Nurses to trade?
Here's what I do have from your list:
20 Pokemon [10 Basic / 6 Stage 1 / 4 Stage 2]

4 Treecko
2 Grovyle
2 Sceptile (NRG Trans)
2 Sceptile (Liz. Poison)
2 Roselia
4 Eevee
2 Vaporeon
2 Espeon
24 Trainers

3 Rare Candy
0 Nurse
1 Oracle
4 Birch
2 Desert Shaman
1 Town Volunteers (I have up to 4)
2 Prof. Elm's Training/Wally (I have up to 4 of both)
3 Switch
2 Crystal Shard - Dragonslayer.

16 Energy

9 Grass
3 Rainbow
0 Boost :(

I do have fast balls, which can search for evolutions, and 1 Pokenav. Like I said, I get the leftovers :mad:
Any suggestions on replacements? I think my biggest concern now is will I be able to get enough energy out?
THANKS!!
---Nicole
WeileMom

WeileMom said:
Hi Bulbasnore!
And I was just going to ask about trainers, thanks!
Any suggestions on replacements? I think my biggest concern now is will I be able to get enough energy out?
THANKS!!
---Nicole
WeileMom

22 Trainers

OK, nevermind Oracle if you have just one. Try not to use Birch, w/out more Shaman, IMO.

4 Birch - need to empty your hand for this, with so few Shaman, use CopyCat /Oaks Research instead?
4 Dunsparce, this pairs well with the Elms & replaces Oracle. 4 favors starting with it.

2 Desert Shaman - always good to have.
2 Town Volunteers (I have up to 4) - if you need more of these your team is already toast, I think.

4 Prof. Elm's Training - works w 'sparce

X Complete Healing Cards - Got any Briney's compassion? Super Scoop Up?
6-X Move (fill missing Briney/Scoop with Switch/Warp/Balloon - get away from danger/trans to active).

18 Energy

[15] Grass (you could add 2 more draw here, if you have it)
3 Rainbow

Last edited:
i have 1 nurse and why not use jugglers? and you cant say juggler without getting away with it and if you need brineys i have some 2

Last edited:
An interesting thing I have found with My sceptile Ex deck is using Delcatty with Fisherman.... If 2 Delcattys are in play, A Roselia Active and a Fisherman, I can Delcatty twice, (6 Cards), Fisherman at least 2 nrg and the Roselia gets them back down for a faster Ex Out to do 100 next turn... Just athought, it does speed the deck up quite a bit esp with Delcatty/ Oracle Combo.. works with Blaze why not its counterpart.... Rare Candy Ex anyone... or what ever you need... jmo

I know that you don't have some of the cards but
I would suggest the following.

pokemon 20
4 Treechko
2 Grovyle
2 Sceptile
2 Sceptile
4 Dunsparce
2 skitty
2 delcatty
2 wobby

energy 16
12 grass
4 multi

trainers 24
4 por
4 tv reporter
4 oracle
2 poke nurse
2 crystal shard
3 warp
2 fisherman
3 rare candy

wobby with energy transfer is a very tough on rayquaza....especially early on....
you will still lose to blaziken in a long game....but early on a wobby with
a crystal shard can do some serious damage...wailord ex does work
well in this deck with poke nurse......

Thanks, everyone, for the continuing help! I gave up on getting this deck ready for the CC and just helped out instead :)
I guess mostly I'll just be practicing with Ashley for States so I'll probably throw in the Sceptile EX's now.
lookinforwailordex : in ashley deck does she need the boost in there?

Yes, actually she needs 4 and we only have 3 so I'm working on tracking another down. And if I had known who you were BEFORE the City Champ. I would have traded for that Nurse!

Thanks again! I love Sceptile but his weakness to Blaziken is a little disturbing.
---Nicole
WeileMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back