Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Secret Wonders Theme Deck Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime

Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host
I know someone is going to ask for it sooner or later, so here it is.

LAVAFLOW:

1x Magmortar (Foil)
4x Magmar
1x Venusaur (Non-Foil)
2x Ivysaur
4x Bulbasaur
2x Charmeleon
4x Charmander
3x Sentret
1x Arcanine
4x Growlithe

2x Bebe's Search
2x Plus Power
2x Team Galactic's Mars
2x Energy Search
2x Potion

16x Fire Energy
8x Grass Energy

POWERHOUSE:
1x Electivire (Foil)
4x Electabuzz
1x Ampharos (Non-Foil)
2x Flaffy
4x Mareep
2x Donphan
4x Phanpy
3x Stantler
1x Electrode
4x Voltorb

2x Professor Oak's Visit
2x Roseanne's Research
2x Plus Power
2x Energy Search
2x Potion

16x Lightning Energy
8x Fighting Energy

Overall, I really like the good trainers in decks and the POWERHOUSE theme deck has really good rares in it.

Nice work

Good job Matt, why not link this in Pop's front page article on the complete scan set going up in the Gallery.

At the pre-release today, there was some concern at first by potential theme deck challenge entrants that they might not get the Electivire deck (which also has the Ampharos). They they started looking at the Arcanine and what it might combo with and decided that whatever deck they got it would be worth it. Of course, Roseanne's and TG Mars are very sought after, too.

I applaud PUI for making Theme Decks, that, as we interpret the common saying here on the 'Gym,
Don't Stink™

Congrats for putting good cards in the themes.

Nice Trainer Card mixes in these sets. I like that. The Plus Powers and TGM's will be very popular among the expert set.

- Croatian (gotta get 'em ASAP) Nidoking

Lava Flow is instantly buy-able. 2 Bebe and 2 Mars, I'm droolin at this deck. Really, I am. Love both of those cards!

Also, it's GREAT to see that they're making PCDs that both don't suck and aren't as good as constructed decks. That's always a difficult line to draw. It seems like they're doing it very well in the last few sets. KEEP IT UP!!!

How do you see it then?
Magmortar is hardly ok, and venusaur is just not that good.
Electivire is a powerhouse, even with bad luck, and Amphy is just evil.
Also, it has Electrode, which is ok considering it's a starter deck, and 3 STANTLER TOO!!!??

Don't forget it has Roseanne's Research, a trainer that will see a lot of play in the future. Team Galactic's Mars won't see as much play nor will Bebe's until Celio rotates out.

But I do like the Magmortar better than the Electivire.

I wanna get them. I've got some credit for a store left over from a while ago...

How do you see it then?
Magmortar is hardly ok, and venusaur is just not that good.
Electivire is a powerhouse, even with bad luck, and Amphy is just evil.
Also, it has Electrode, which is ok considering it's a starter deck, and 3 STANTLER TOO!!!??

Magmortar? Hardly okay? Wrong.
Venusaur? Okay, it's not that good. Fine.

Electivire? Iffy. It's weaker then Magmortar, in that it's not able to survive as many hits as Magmortar (more common weakness, no healing body), does not deal damage as well (Magmortar SPREADS damage. Electivire flips to deal damage just to the active AND discards energy to do so. No contest), and the LV.X does not really go well with this Electivire compared to it's alternative unlike Magmortar
Amphy? Yes. It's Evil. Moving on from undebatable points...
Stantler? Yes. That's a very important point.

It's more the supporters that seal the deal for the Lightning starter deck, I'd think. 2 Bebe's Search is findable in MT, while Team Galactic's Wager provides more disruption then Team Galactic's Mars. Meanwhile, Roseanne's reasearch is arguably better then the alternative in Holon Mentor, and Professor Oak's Visit is easilly the draw card of choice for many decks AND both supporters are only in this set.

If the Fire starter deck had Furret instead of Arcanine, THEN it might be equal to the Lightning starter deck. But it doesn't. :/

[del]Definitely doesn't stop this from being a vast improvement over the perhaps 2 useful supporters and maybe 1 copy of a stage 2 that you'd actually want from the starter decks...[/del]

IIRC, this set is in stores on November 7th.

I like the trainers from both sets .... I like the power house one though the Lava Flow also looks fun... which to use..

Personally I think these are near the same power level as the old theme decks from base set. At least in relation to the rest of the format. If I need a fast magmortar I'll pick one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back