Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Set description for 'Ancient Origins' revealed

immewnity

Front Page News Editor
Staff member
Power of the Ancient Days!

Ready for some new tricks? Hoopa-EX brings new Mythical power to the Pokémon world, along with fierce new challengers like Mega Tyranitar-EX, Mega Ampharos-EX, and Mega Sceptile-EX! The Pokémon TCG: XY—Ancient Origins expansion transforms ancient secrets into modern battling techniques, with all-new Special Energy cards, new Ancient Traits, and Shiny versions of Primal Kyogre-EX, Primal Groudon-EX, and Mega Rayquaza-EX! The power of the ancients is unbound!

• Over 90 cards
  • 11 new Pokémon-EX, including 3 Mega Evolution Pokémon and a new Mythical Pokémon
  • New Shiny versions of Primal Kyogre-EX, Primal Groudon-EX, and Mega Rayquaza-EX

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 293
Definitely explains why Rayquaza, Shaymin, Skarmory, and others got colorless typing. Definitely a Flying focus; I don't know what more you want.

Well, I was expecting a set more heavily focused on birds/ flying types. Outside of Winona, there are no cards that are specifically for for them and this is completely undone by Hoopa EX next set. Sky Field, unlike every other recent stadium printed for its theme set, Every deck can use this card no matter what type they are using. Sky Field should be been for colorless types exclusively. Not one single ultra rare in the set is a flying type/bird pokemon. Since this was supposed to be a flying type set, I was at least expecting one to represent the set but all we got were more dragons and dragon support cards. Sure Shaymin and Rayquaza have a colorless printed card but its still a dragon. This is why I want flying types to get their own typing and leave colorless to the normal types.

As a player who love the flying type more so on the bird side you can see why I'm very disappointed with the way this set was handled. While I'm not trying to pick an arguement, Hydreigon EX could have easily been Pidgeot EX with an ability that helps colorless types and one of those Ray EXs could have been Mega Pidgeot EX in the role of Mega Rayquaza EX Colorless. Instead, we got more dragons. Do I need to really say they printed m/Ray EX as a dragon and colorless type? Compare this set to the last few theme sets and you'll see the injustice here.

I honestly agree with vaporeon. That Rayquaza could have very easily done the exact same thing but as a Mega Pidgeot EX, or whatever other flying type. But no, Rayquaza has to be top dog. I really hope one of the new Megas can take Rayquaza down a peg... Then again, Hoopa only makes Rayquaza faster. And if Tyranitar or whatever becomes the new big thing, We'd have more to deal with besides Rayquaza...

Back