Shadow Pokemon contest

Discussion in 'Create-A-Card' started by Cooltrainer Aaron, Apr 9, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Cooltrainer Aaron

Cooltrainer Aaron New Member

OK guys, new contest ready to go. SHADOW POKEMON!!!

This will be my first contest, so I've asked Penguin Master/Pythagoras to joint run/judge this thing.

We're going to grade this on a 100 pt. scale. Pythagoras will take the Creativity side for 50 pts. and I'll take the Tech side for 50 pts.

I'll let PMaster tell you about the creative parts, so let me tell you about the tech aspects.

Your goal is to create a Shadow Pokemon card based on Colloseum. PMaster and I have agreed that Shadow Pokemon must follow these rules standard to all Shadow Pokemon. Therefore, these "Shadow Rules" don't get printed on the card, just consider them in the rulebook. OK, here are the Shadow Rules:

1. Attack: Shadow Rush
    Damage: ?
    NRG Cost: 1 Pokemon's element, 1 Colorless
    Special: Flip 3 coins. If there are 0 heads, this attack does nothing. If exactly one is heads, this attack does 20 damage and 10 damage to itself. If exactly 2 are heads, this attack does 50 damage and 20 damage to itself. If all 3 are heads, this attack does no damage this turn and this Pokemon activates the Poke-Power: Hypermode.

2. Poke-Power: Hypermode: This Pokemon can only use Shadow Rush. Instead of flipping 3 coins, flip 4. If there are 3 or 4 heads, Shadow Rush does 50 damage and 20 damage to itself. All other flip results are the same as the effects of the original attack. To deactivate this Poke-Power, the player must use the Call command and skip the attack that turn when this Pokemon is Active.

3. Poke-Body: Purification Process: Starting the turn this Pokemon is played on the field, all attacks other than Shadow Rush are locked until the specified number of turns an attack has on it has passed.

4. A Shadow Pokemon cannot evolve until all its attacks are unlocked.

5. Shadow Pokemon can evolve from or into any normally named Pokemon. No Pokemon with Dark, Light, or Trainer Names.

6. Other than Hypermode and Purification Process, a Shadow Pokemon can't use other Pokemon Powers.

7. A Shadow Pokemon can have up to 3 attacks other than Shadow Rush.

OK. Now that I've confused you with all this mumbo jumbo, let me explain it a little simpler.

Shadow Rush, Hypermode, and Purification Process will not be on the card, but you will have access to those rules at any time. Next to each attack on the card, write a number of turns it takes for you to use this attack, this is how many turns it takes for this attack to be unlocked. Remember that you can have up to 3 attacks on the card. Finally, no other Pokemon Powers are allowed on the card.

I will be judging how well the card works with the Shadow Rules, if the card is broken, and if you will be able to use the card in full effect before it is KO'd.

I will have a ruberic of my side of the grading scale and a sample card soon, but until then, let PMaster show you what he's doing for the creative side of the scale. PMaster?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras New Member

OOOKAY! As for my criteria, I will be looking for the creative aspect of your Shadow Pokemon. I will be grading based on features of the card's attacks, such as:

1) Name
    2) Effects/Special Conditions
    3) Damage Systems
    4) Energy Costs
    5) Overall interesting and/or memorable attack

Also, I will be looking at Creative stats, such as:

1) Weakness
    2) Resistance
    3) Retreat Cost
    4) HP

I will also be looking at creative use of the "Shadow" part of the pokemon...

You will also score for originality.

Now, here is an example of what NOT to do if you're trying to get points from me (or in the tech section, for that matter...).

Shadow Somethingorother (C) 60 HP
    (someevolutionstage Pokemon)

(C)(C) An Attack 10 (1 turn)

(C)(C)(C) Thing Blast 30 (2 turns)

(D)(C)(C)(C) Shadow Stuff
    This attack does 50 damage plus 10 damage for each stuff attached to Shadow Somethingorother. 50+
    (4 turns)

Now, here's why this is not the best.

Scorewise this is how that boils down.

1) Name

No. Shadow Somethingorother?

2) Effects/Special Conditions

"...plus 10 more damage for each stuff attached..." and THAT for the only effect! Not creative, and just plain corny.

3) Damage Systems

Let me tell ya, plus damage for stuff is the best damage system ever...

4) Energy Costs

Umm.... I don't think so. Maybe that person gets a point for (D) energy, but...

5) Overall interesting and/or memorable attack

Well, I have to say, I won't forget "Shadow Stuff" or "An Attack", or "Thing Blast", but... That wasn't really what I meant...

This is a very poorly created card. This is about the cruddiest grade you can get... lol

There are other ways to score this card, but I think you get the idea.
    Well, that's my half of the contest. I'd just like to say have fun, and let the contest begin!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004
  3. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Question: do you want us to post the entire evolution chain? If so, do the turns start after the Pokemon has EVOLVED, or after the original Basic has been played?

4. Cooltrainer Aaron

Answer: No, just the Shadow Pokemon. Feel free to put a reference of what it would be best to evolve from or into if you wish. Also, the turn you play a Shadow Pokemon onto the field is considered turn 0. So every turn after you evolve is one you can count towards the unlocking.

Also, for PMaster's example card:

Shadow Somethingorother (C) 60 HP
    (someevolutionstage Pokemon)

(C)(C) An Attack 10 (1 turn)

(C)(C)(C) Thing Blast 30 (2 turns)

(D)(C)(C)(C) Shadow Stuff
    This attack does 50 damage plus 10 damage for each stuff attached to Shadow Somethingorother. 50+
    (4 turns)

This card wouldn't be able to make it in my book either.

First off, the Energy cost for "An Attack" is too high in comparison with its damage. Also, it would make much more sense just to use Shadow Rush in place of it. The same goes with Thing Blast. For only 30 damage, there are no effects, which makes it very poor. Shadow Stuff is no where near specific, because stuff could be anything including previous evolutions. Also, its turn count is unrealistic. 4 Turns would let you be KO'd 3 times over by then unless you had it on the Bench the entire time. Also, the HP would not let it last long enough for it to do any good. This is the perfect example of the poorest grade you could get. I don't know how PMaster did it, because he can think up a lot of good stuff.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  5. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Shadow Feraligatr
    120 HP
    Weakness: [G]
    Resistance: (none)
    Retreat: [CC]
    Attacks:
    [WC] Great Tidal 30 (2 turns)
    Flip a coin. If heads, choose one of your Opponent's benched Pokemon. Your opponent switches that Pokemon with the Defending Pokemon.

[WWWW] Wave Smash 60+ (5 turns)
    This attack does 60 damage plus 10 more damage for each energy card attached to Shadow Feraligatr that is more than the number of energies attached to the Defending Pokemon. You cannot add more than 40 damage in this way.

I'll edit later when I can think up better names for those attacks...

6. Ash's Pikachu

Ash's Pikachu New Member

Shadow Tropius 70 HP(G)

(C)(C)Gust 20 (1 turn)

(G)(G)(G)Special Purification (Not until Purified)
    Flip a coin.If heads, you may unlock one of your other Shadow Pokemon's attacks.This attack can't be used if Shadow Tropius isn't already Purified.

(G)(G)(G)(C)Saw Grass 50+ (5 turns)
    Flip a coin.If heads, this attack does 50 damage plus 20 more damage.

W: (F)(R) R: (P)(W) RC: (C)(C)

The reason I gave S-Tropius a Fighting W is because Dark types are weak against (F).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004
  7. Cooltrainer Aaron

But Shadow Pokemon aren't Dark types

8. Shadow Gardevoir(P)HP110

Pcytouch(P) 1 turn 20

Inteligent Pcy(P)(C) 3 turns 30
    Flip a coin if heads the defending pokemon is confused.

Super Confusion(P)(P)(P) 4 turns 60
    You may discard a (P) energy attached to Shadow Gardevoir if you do the defending pokemon is confused.

Weakness(P)
    Resistance
    Retreat Cost(C)(C)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  9. lunatone_solrock

lunatone_solrock New Member

Shadow Shedinja (P) 30HP

Poke-Body (Mysterious Barrier)
    Prevent all efeects of attack (including damage) done to Shedinja by any of your opponent's Pokemon that have more than 40HP.

(P) Shadow Feint 20 (1 turn)
    Don't apply weakness and resistance for this attack.

(P)(C) Shadow Attack 30 (3 turns)
    You may discard all energy card attached to all of your active Pokemon. If you do, the defending Pokemon is now confused, burned and poisoned.

Weakness
    Resistance
    Retreat Cost

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  10. Cooltrainer Aaron

I was wondering how long it would take for you to submit one lunarock, welcome aboard.

11. Lanturn_Trainer

Lanturn_Trainer New Member

Shadow Lanturn 80HP (L/W)
    Basic Pokemon
    (W) Surf (1 Turn)
    Does 20 damage to each defending pokemon.

(L)(W)(*) Thunder Spark 40 (3 turns)
    Flip a coin, if heads, choose 2 benched pokemon and do 20 damage to them, and do 10 damage to Shadow Lanturn if not purfied. If tails, Shadow Lanturn goes into hypermode. (even if purified)
    Weakness: (F)
    Resistance: (none)
    Retreat Cost: (*)
    If you notice Lanturn is a dual-type, i was wondering if they are allowed, if not Lanturn is a watertype.

12. Cooltrainer Aaron

We'll have to get back to you on that LTrainer, but you may have to select only one energy type. Just be prepared.

13. Shadow Crobat(P)HP100

Slime(P)20(1 turn)

Slugdy Attack(P)(P)30(3 turns)
    The defending pokemon is poisened.

Hot Poisen(P)(P)(C)20(5 turns)
    The defending pokemon is poisened and burned and for Poisen inbetween turns it takes 2 damage counters instead of 1 if it already is poisened it takes 3 instead of 2 and 1.Flip a coin if tails discard a (P) energy from Shadow crobat and Shadow Crobat goes into Hyper Mode and it's retreat cost is (C)(C).

Weakness(L)
    Resistance(F)
    Retreat Cost

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  14. Cooltrainer Aaron

Ancient, dude, you can only have 1 entry. Which one will it be?

15. Shadow Gardevoir please.

16. lunatone_solrock

lunatone_solrock New Member

Wassup, Cooltrainer Aaron.
    Um... I was searching for ideas.
    That's why I'm quite late.

17. Cooltrainer Aaron

no big dude, I knew u'd be interested in posting one eventually. I'm just glad u came aboard. Besides ur not late considering there are only 5 entries so far.

18. Pythagoras

Pythagoras New Member

Umm... i believe you're not allowed to have poke-powers....

19. liminy0

liminy0 New Member

Shadow Xatu (P)
    80HP
    Stage 1 (Evolves from Natu)
    Shadow Psy (P) (turn 1)
    Flip a coin until you get tails, for each head, put one damage count on the defending Pokemon. If the first flip is tails, Shadow Xatu activates its Poke-Power: Hypermode.

Evil Psy (P)(P)(C) (turn 3) 50+
    This attack can only be used if Shadow Xatu is in Hypermode. If the defending Pokemon is a Shadow Pokemon, it is now in Hypermode. If the defending Pokemon is not a Shadow Pokemon, this attack does 50 damage plus 20 more damage and put two damage counts on Shadow Xatu.

Shining Psy (P)(P)(C) (turn 3) 40
    This attack can only be used if Shadow Xatu is not in Hypermode. If the defending Pokemon is a Shadown Pokemon, it cannot activate its Poke-Power until the end of your next turn. (this effect will not be removed if the defending Pokemon is benched) If the defending Pokemon is not a Shadow Pokemon, you may remove up to 2 damage counts from Shadow Xatu.

Weakness: (P)
    Resistance: None
    Retreat Cost: (C)

Is this format right?
    What will happen if a Shadow Pokemon in Hypermode is benched?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  20. Carrington388

Carrington388 New Member

Shadow Dragonite
    120 HP {C}
    Stage 2 Pokémon (Evolves from Dragonair)

{C} Wing Attack (Turn 2) 10
    {R}{W}{L} Dragon Flap (Turn 4) 50
    {R}{R}{R}{R}{R} Dragon Blast (Turn 7) Discard 1 {R} Energy card attached to Shadow Dragonite or this attack does nothing. 90

Weakness: {W}
    Resistance: {F}
    Retreat Cost: {C}{C}{C}