Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Shadowless in general, Venusaur

Poke Granny

I hate sounding stupid but i really did look for the information before asking!

Is there a price guide for Shadowless cards and why isn't it listed with the other prices here on the Gym?

Specifically how much is the shadowless Venusaur worth.

I'd say $9 to $20, but there really isn't any demand for them (I don't know why, I've always found the artwork on Venusaur to be better than the old Charizard and Blastoise).

I don't see any shadowless prices in the guide either, guess they don't exist. Maybe just average the the 1st edition and the Unlimited values together to get a rough estimate since shadowles is worth less than 1st edition and more than Unlimited.

Aren't all 1st edition base set cards shadowless?

Yes. The first print run of the Base Set were all shadowless. WotC then took some of those cards and printed 1st Ed on them. So, all the 1st edition Base Set are shadowless. Also, most of the errors from the Base Set appear as shadowless (length-length, red cheeks Pikachu, Monster Ball, etc.) and were corrected in the second shadowed printing. Exceptions are the Diglett error (sideways fighting symbol) and Wartortle (evolves from Wartortle picture), which have only shadowed versions. The one error that persisted is the Vulpix HP error that was not corrected until one of the last printings.

However, one interesting note: while the errors were corrected in the shadowed printing, the red cheeks Pikachu was corrected in the shadowless run. So, there is a shadowless and shadowless 1st edition of both the red and yellow cheeks Pikachu, with the 1st edition yellow cheeks the rarer of the two. It is also interesting to note that the shadowless red cheeks Pikachu was an error, which WotC was told to correct. Yet, all subsequent Pikachu cards after Base Set have red cheeks.

Back