Shaman King

Discussion in 'Anime Realm' started by Submarine Boy, Oct 16, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Submarine Boy

Submarine Boy New Member

OK, as I begin, I would like to say "I'm baaaaaaaack!"
    Yes, I used to be the troublemaker known as Espeon407, but I've changed. Now that that's over with, let's get to the review, shall we?

Ah yes, Shonen Jump's Shaman King. A very interesting manga, it deals with Yoh Asakura, who is trying to become the Shaman King. He fights with his guardian spirit, Amidamaru, hangs out with his best friend Mortimer (Manta), and Anna, his no-nonsense girlfriend (fiancè in the manga). Along the way, he fights other shamans with the same goal in mind, including the evil Tao family, who wish to take Amidamaru from Yoh.

I must say I wasn't expecting SK to appear on TV (at least not in America). DBZ played on Cartoon Network, and (the horrible) YGO! is still on Kid's WB! (the manga is MUCH better, but that's another story), so I guess it was about time for another heavily edited anime to appear.

Fox does a good job taking out a lot of Buddhism references, but he still manages to show up during one fight scene with Tao Len (Tao Ren in the manga). Much is taken out from the anime, but what they take out about spiritism and religion, they make up for in character development, which the manga seems to leave out. A bonus for those paying attention.

I am very pleased with the Shaman King anime. Enough was taken out, only a few name changes were made for cultural differences, and is good all-in-all. I can't wait to see how they finish the Lee Pai-long (Bailong) story.

Report Card: B+

2. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

Moving to the Anime forum...

'mom

3. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

Those wheren't very good replys:(
    Anyway I'm going to agree with you. I love the ShamanKing, but I haven't been wacthing it lately because
    of pokemon.
    But what scares me is when Hikaru no go comes to the
    ShonenJump there going to edit the anime:(

4. ShadowOfTyranitar

ShadowOfTyranitar New Member

re

I love the Shaman King manga, but the anime is terrible. I don't even bother watching it. And people always say there is more character developement in anime, its not that there isn't in manga, its just easier to not notice it manga. I would give the Shaman King anime a D-.

5. KingOfDemons

KingOfDemons New Member

I would love to watch the Shaman King anime, but they air it at the same time as Yu-gi-oh! over here. SO guess what wins that one?

Love the manga in Jump. It's YGO, One-Piece, and Shaman King. And I can't wait for Hikaru no GO.