Sharpedo-EX's Hunt (and other "Gust" attacks) versus Safeguard

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by numberonejuniperfan, Jan 25, 2018.

1. numberonejuniperfan

numberonejuniperfan New Member

My opponent has a Carbink FCO 50 with Safeguard as their Active, as well as another Pokemon (without Safeguard) on the Bench. I use Sharpedo-EX PRC's Hunt attack. Does the switch on my opponent's side happen, or is it blocked by Safeguard?

It seems clear that if the Safeguarder is on the Bench and is targeted by Hunt, the attack fizzles. But it's less clear when the Safeguarder is the one that's Active, and the targeted Pokemon does not have a protective effect on it.

Edit: there's a ruling in the Compendium EX (under "== HIDDEN POWER / E (Unown-E - EX:Unseen Forces)") that implies that a protective effect on the Active blocks a Gust attack. However, due to the age of this ruling I'm hesitant to apply it to Pokemon as it's played now.

---

Ability: Safeguard
    Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon by your opponent’s Pokémon-EX.

[D][C] Hunt: Switch 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon. This attack does 30 damage to the new Active Pokémon.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I think the judge called me on this ruling during the event. It sounds familiar.
    The philosophy on this kind of interaction did change at some point, so the older ruling is not valid anymore.

Safeguard protects Carbink from effects when it is the target of the effect, but if Hunt is choosing a Benched Pokemon that does not have Safeguard (or something similar) that that Pokemon can be chosen to be pulled up to the Active position.

In that case, Carbink will go to the bench. It was not the target of the effect.

Here is a more recent ruling that applies:

Q. If I use Kyogre EX's "Smash Turn" or Celebi EX's "Wind Whisk" or Gengar EX's "Dark Corridor" attack, can I switch it with my benched Sigilyph that has the "Safeguard" Ability?
    A. Since the attacking Pokemon is the target of the switch effect, Sigilyph can be moved in this situation. (Jan 31, 2013, TPCi Rules Team; Nov 13, 2014 TPCi Rules Team)