shiftry and empoleon

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by master of puppets, Nov 4, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. master of puppets

master of puppets New Member

hi, ive been trying to get CG shiftry ex for a LONG time, and now im not sure what kind of deck to build around them, i really want to play it with empoleon becuase it took me just as long to get 3 of those and the lv. x as it did to get shifty, and theyre both great bench hitters.
    so would a deck that looked somewhat like this work?

4 piplup
    4 prinplup
    3 empoleon
    1 empoleon lv x (maybe just 3-4 regular empoleon)

3 seedot
    2 nuzleaf
    3 shiftry ex

1 ray ex d

1 mareep
    1 ampharos

4 multi
    4 sp :dark:
    8 :water:

plus the regular trainer build maybe with a few fixes.

i want to get it to work but i would like my chums at pokegym to give their opinion on it if it would work or not before i put it in the deck help and strategy/get everything together and trade for more trainers.

thanks and i look forward to all and any comments!

2. Rai

Rai <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

You wanna play Shiftry EX with something?

I'd say that Ampharos is the best friend to this somewhat ugly tree thingy, 'cause then you're punishing the opponent for attaching energy to the bench (Amphy's attack), playing supporters (Amphy's body), and playing powers (Shiftry). Not much can take all three.

...Of course, the deck that can handle all three problems at once (Lucario D=) is super effective against that whole idea. Whoops.

Hm... Now Empoleon... Empoleon really doesn't do much to cover Shiftry's weaknesses, just playing a damage counter on everything. Flygon on the other hand, has the same Aqua Shower attack in it's stage 1, and is an excellent metagame counter with it's own attack (though you might want some Strength Charms or Pluspowers for against Lucario, and some Lake Boundary for against Blissey). The whole line also has resistance to lighting, which isn't too popular yet, but the new Electivire and Ampharos might change things (...Maybe. :/)

3. master of puppets

thanks for the help. i completly forgot about the new flygon/vibrava, would it play about the same lines as most empoleon builds do? 4-4-3 or whatever? thanks again.

4. Rai

Yeah, 4-4-3 seems fairly good for the Flygon lines, as it's mostly the same thing, just no support from the Mantyke/Mantine Combo (...), and it's got better offensive type thus far (who knows, Magmortar might become REALLY popular, and then Water will become the type to use...)

5. master of puppets

thanks, yea i hope that magmortar doesnt get too big, i hate that card, even though its not that hard to beat. so do yu think that if i were to play shifrty/flygon i could still tech in an ampharos and maybe the ray ex d? or would that mess with consistency?

6. Rai

With two stage lines being the core of your deck, and you focusing on speed (meaning no set up pokemon), it seems difficult to get consistency with teched in Ampharos, at least to me. Ray EX shouldn't be too bad to fit in, as it just needs Multi Energy (Which can help most of the time anyways).

Absol EX might find itself a nice home in here. You're placing damage either with Shiftry's body or Flygon's body, so there's plenty to move around. Using Absol seems like a good idea, especially since you're playing darkness energy and thus can make use of it's Psychic Pulse attack. Perhaps 1 or 2 copies of Absol?

7. master of puppets

thats very true. ill see what i can do but i supose it will probably be left out.

absol would be great! i thought i was forgeting a tech that goes great with bench spread and i was right.
    i think 2 copies would be good. i love the look on my friends face when i would pull out the absol and ko something that he didnt think i could. its attack isnt bad either.

8. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

My dad has bin useing a Shiftry Empoleon deck since he started shortly before nats, and the thing can be nasty. If you have a deck that uses powers, and there is a Prinplup useing Aquashower, you don't last long.

Oh don't forget to add 1 Shiftry PK.

9. master of puppets

that sounds like quite a jerk!
    yea i have one of those, and i planed on putting it in. not bad if im playing blissey and get to hit 3 or so of them for 60 with one attack.

10. Darkwalker

Darkwalker New Member

I've been playing Shiftry Ex (CG) with Lucario with pretty decent success. Lucario is pretty good at spreading damage around while Shiftry Ex sits the bench keeping power based decks at bay and can come in and snipe whataver Lucario's Aura Sphere has damaged. I use Absol Ex for suprise kills (usually paired with a Holon Mentor late game to fetch multiples). Shiftry Ex also covers Lucario's weakness, which will come into play with the good Psychic types in Secret Wonders, and it has free retreat which is always good. Lucario has less HP than Empoleon, but a better Lvl X and it opens up more room in the deck for trainers.

11. master of puppets

thanks, i hadnt thought about lucario (pretty dumb on my part).
    that would work good with shiftry, good type coverage and a fast stage 1.

im going to test it with 4-4-3 empoloen/flygon, 4-3-1 lucario, 3-2-3 ampharos, with about 2 absol in all of them and a 1-1/1-1-1 tech of ampharos in all that dont already have it, and try 1 ray d ex. (doubt theyll all the techs will work in the same deck other than the ampharos combo, but no harm in trying)

^ ps nice avatar.

12. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

LOL!!

13. Darkwalker

Darkwalker New Member

Oh, if you do decide to play Shiftry Ex/Lucario/Absol Ex Super Scoop Up and TSD are both heavily suggested. The last time I play this deck I was able to play Lucario Lvl X 3 times and Scoop Up a badly damaged Shiftry Ex. The deck pretty much annihilates Electavire and anything needing Delcatty to get set up. It also does a good job against Flygon based decks since Shiftry is resistant to Flygon Ex d.

14. master of puppets

that sounds quite good, i hadnt really considered SSU, if i use lucario ill defenatly keep that in mind. thanks

any other suggestions folks?

15. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

Personly with Galade getting tons of hype, I would wait a few tournys to see if it's safe to play Shiftry.

16. master of puppets

i was thinking gallade when i first saw the scans, but theyre just too hard to get right now. if i can get some ill defenatly give them a try.
    and thanks for the advice, i was going to try my duskqueen or gastrodon weavile first anyway.